Thread: On a DTXpress III, is it possible to use a hi-hat pedal as bass?

User Info Menu

Default On a DTXpress III, is it possible to use a hi-hat pedal as bass?

Backstory: I have a DTXpress III that I got off Craigslist. The bass pedal is not Yamaha, but the bass tower pad thing is. On top of that, the metal part of the bass tower where the pedal would lock on is broken (Like, cracked and torn like paper), so I bolted them both together. Works pretty well, but it's loud as hell. Not so much the impact, but the pedal itself.
    http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/1132/basspedal.jpg
    ^ Picture of bass. Not embedding due to it being a large image.

Now, I have an extra hi-hat pedal, so I figure I can somehow make it register as a bass hit. For my purposes, I don't want the pedal to just make the bass sound, I want the brain to actually register it as if it were hitting the actual bass pad. Plugging the bass cord directly to the hi-hat pedal doesn't do anything, and I don't especially know how to open stuff up to mod it. Can someone help me out as to how to achieve this? Whoever helps will get a thumbsup.

Edit: Unrelated question. Is it possible to repair an unresponsive pad? My cymbal only works when it wants to.
    Last edited by ChaoTime; 08-02-2009 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Adding picture of bass. Also an unrelated question I didn't want to make another topic for

User Info Menu

Default Re: On a DTXpress III, is it possible to use a hi-hat pedal as bass?

Firstly, welcome to DC ChaoTime!

For the hi-hat pedal working as a bass pedal, I don't think it will work but I'm sure some expert will prove me wrong lol. Go to a drum store and ask about it.

And for the additional question regarding the cymbal pad, I used to have the same problem. I got it checked out only to discover there was a crack in the sensor thing. Could yours be same problem? I had to go and buy a new pad. You might have to do same thing. If there is a crack you will have to, or you can get it checked out by the professionals