Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Before and After Thread

User Info Menu

Default Before and After Thread

Here we go..... Post your before and after pics here on anything that had some kind of make over. show us what you painted, cleaned up, changed a head or even changed the hardware on anything. Here's my muled Matadors again to start it off.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Default Re: Before and After Thread

Nice! My congo's.

User Info Menu

Wow, beautiful drums!
    My 1960 Ludwig Drumset
    Ludwig Drums
    Snare = 5x14
    Tom-Tom = 9x13
    Floor Tom-Tom = 16x16
    Bass = 14x22
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Hi-Hat = 16
    Splash = 12
    Crash = 16
    Ride = 22
    Sabian Cymbal
    Splash = 10

As a hand-me-down from my dad, it's priceless!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fumbled time View Post
    Nice! My congo's.
    So much better and richer looking than the blue color. Very nice color choice!
    LP Matador Quinto and Conga w/stands and matching Matador Bongos.

"Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning."

User Info Menu

I agree bongocajon much nicer. Hey L4C are those yours or did you pick them up as a project? F/T

User Info Menu

totally awesome guys, flawless woodgrain on both of those! i like how the logos were re used, they look like new!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fumbled time View Post
    I agree bongocajon much nicer. Hey L4C are those yours or did you pick them up as a project? F/T
    I picked them up for really cheap and was going to just change the heads at first but you get em home and start starring at them and realizing just how bad they really are then the next thing you know full blown make over! I really like how your came out F/T, you chose a really nice color stain.

ThePloughman Guest

In 2001....I did these.......... the BD was a 16x18 floor tom, the 14x14 a raw keller, and the black 8x12 on the floor..... Rogers, XP8 shells.

Here they are in 2006 after I installed the Rogers Swivo Mounts.

User Info Menu

Wow, nice job Ploughman! That's impressive and I love the color.

L4C I was thinking from the looks that they were either used or abused, But you brought them back from the salvage yard they look brand new! F/T

User Info Menu

Thanks D/D It sure was a pleasing project so much that I am restaining my 7 pcs( will post pics soon) It's the fifth time I have taken them apart and am darkening the stain to match the congs and then putting on the poly like I did to the congs but never did to the 7 pcs.[update] I finished the staining and will be polying them in two days. Woo Hoo, they look great. F/T

User Info Menu

luv4congas...Those are some of the nicest Matadors I have ever seen. You really brought out the wood grain on those shells. Beautful work, nicely done.

fumbled time...From the not so attractive blue color to the nice stain you have on those Tocas I would say it was a 100% improvement. I always like to see wooden drums without being painted. Plus I think the black hardware really compliments well now with the shells. Great job.

the ploughman...That green you ended up with seems to be the perfect color for those drums. They turned out awesome and I see you have quite a collection of drums there.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Gretchhead those look great, Nice improvment.F/T

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TROPICAT View Post
    luv4congas...Those are some of the nicest Matadors I have ever seen. You really brought out the wood grain on those shells. Beautful work, nicely done.

fumbled time...From the not so attractive blue color to the nice stain you have on those Tocas I would say it was a 100% improvement. I always like to see wooden drums without being painted. Plus I think the black hardware really compliments well now with the shells. Great job.

the ploughman...That green you ended up with seems to be the perfect color for those drums. They turned out awesome and I see you have quite a collection of drums there.
    Thanks TROPICAT and thank you too DD. ThePloughman that is amazing what you did to the set, the green metal flake looks very cool! I'm ready to do another make over but I will have to find another abused set, I only have my Giovannis and my wife told to me..... Don't even think about it!

User Info Menu

Gretschhead...The wood on those Cuban style Congas looks interesting. Can you tell me what kind of wood they are?
    Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TROPICAT View Post
    Gretschhead...The wood on those Cuban style Congas looks interesting. Can you tell me what kind of wood they are?
    Thanks.
    They are made of spanish cedar, also known as cedro. They have a great sound, very vintage sounding. Nice warm tone and very dry, less ring than an old oak drum even. The wood is pretty dense, and the weight is similar to oak, maybe a tad lighter (hard to tell with the solid brass hardware).

Not many builders out there making cedar drums these days, I think Bauer does, but nobody else comes to mind.

User Info Menu

Well made drums. Solid Brass hardware, now thats something you don't see everyday. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Gretschhead you really did a nice job on the cuban congas and as far as the Gon bop I would have thought it couldn't be repaired but you pulled it off! looks like a completely different drum! Nice.
    L4C

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Before and After Thread

Gretschhead, awesome job on those cedros...

F/T, what a difference bare wood makes on those congs, man... to all of these makeovers!!!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I can't find the pic of this kit wrapped in the original red I bought them, So The first pic shows two toms with the first staining (light stain)and 3 with the 2nd stain I did. The second is the 2nd stain finished. The third pic is the latest stain with a poly coat to end the staining of this kit.F/T
    Last edited by fumbled time; 08-04-2009 at 01:38 PM.

User Info Menu

Wow, that kit looks great FT!

User Info Menu

Holy Cow! Is that the same kit? You do good work F/T!

User Info Menu

I started a wooden snare project today. It's lookin good will post pics in a few days! F/T

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Before and After Thread

F/T, I wonder if you've found your new niche in refinishing drums...excellent work on everything I've seen so far......man, they rock!

Now to expand this slightly! Who has tackled repairing or refinishing a fiberglass conga? Would like to see how you do it!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I've just been looking through this thread again and admiring all the great projects. All you guys here have done some very nice work indeed.

The drums here have made quite a transformation! Looking good guys..........
    Gary