Thread: Wrist problem ?

User Info Menu

Default Wrist problem ?

For the last year or so, have been waking up in the night with pins and needles from the tips of my fingers up to my elbows?
    Also get it when driving sometimes, but not as yet when playing.

However, I went to see my doctor, who referred me to a neurologist.
    She carried out electric shock tests, and I am diagnosed with Carpian Tunnel syndrome, and need an operation on both wrists to clear the trapped nerve in each.

Anyone out there had the same problem?
    Did it affect your playing afterwards?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Wrist problem ?

cant say ive ever had that problem,
    but im sure im talking for everyone here at DC when i say good luck with your operation and im sure it will not affect your playing. All the best
    www.youtube.com/dannyatcranny

PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

User Info Menu

I have heard that the loud styles (hitting the drums VERY hard) cause that. I don't hear it so much from the jazz/swing guys.
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CharlyG View Post
    I have heard that the loud styles (hitting the drums VERY hard) cause that. I don't hear it so much from the jazz/swing guys.
    Um, excuse me? Jazz drummers don't play loud? Look up Tony Williams or Brian Blade and you'll be surprised at how loud they play.

Bluesbat,

I don't know what it's like to have Carpian Tunnel syndrome but I met someone at the Worlds Fastest Drummer competition two years ago who was experiencing those symptoms and it was partly due to the fact that he had bad technique. He had been stressing out the little muscles in his hand and he would feel a tingling sensation in his hand and throughout his arm. So if and when you're able to play again definitely work on getting your technique down good and don't strain your muscles when you're playing.

All the best,
    Tom

User Info Menu

I don't know about Carpian Tunnel, but I do have a friend who has wrist problems now. He says it was because of playing heavy metal and he has to be careful about what sets he plays on. He feels fine on his acoustic set and a mesh electronic drum set, but on harder rubber ones it messes him up and he can't play long. I heard that a lot of problems are caused by depending on smaller muscles in your hand, so like tom said, check out your technique. -JessiG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tomgrosset View Post
    Um, excuse me? Jazz drummers don't play loud? Look up Tony Williams or Brian Blade and you'll be surprised at how loud they play.

Bluesbat,

I don't know what it's like to have Carpian Tunnel syndrome but I met someone at the Worlds Fastest Drummer competition two years ago who was experiencing those symptoms and it was partly due to the fact that he had bad technique. He had been stressing out the little muscles in his hand and he would feel a tingling sensation in his hand and throughout his arm. So if and when you're able to play again definitely work on getting your technique down good and don't strain your muscles when you're playing.

All the best,
    Tom
    Great post Tom. This is especially important for the guys who practice and/or play a "lot". Technique becomes crucial to avoid health problems later.

User Info Menu

First of all, the condition is known as Carpel Tunnel Syndrome - carpel refers to the small bones of the wrist - and second of all, I used to deal with this condition on a semi-regular basis when I was a chiropractor. Before you go for surgery, Bluesbat, if you have access to a chiropractor, you might see what they say about your wrists. Surgery is only one option for treatment of this condition. Sometimes, due to the stresses on the wrist, the ligaments that hold the wrist bones in check are overstressed which allows the carpel bones to shift position and cause an entrapment syndrome called Carpel Tunnel Syndrome. There are other reasons for this condition, and surgery just might be required, but it might be worth finding out before you go through a surgery.

Just my 2 cents.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks Guys !
    There must be another drummer out there somewhere who has experienced the same condition.
    Would inspire a bit of confidence if I knew there were no after effects.

Incidentally, I am told that it is due to 47 years of playing consistently.
    It's not a question of bad technique.
    That's the trouble with us old drummers, what with the arthiritis as well, a sad state of affairs!
    The first thing that suffers is the classic buzz roll, and the paradiddle.......got to think even a few more bars in advance, when playing now !
    "It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing"

User Info Menu

my wrists sounds like a rusty cement mixers ....woot

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    my wrists sounds like a rusty cement mixers ....woot
    lol itchie sounds good mate :P
    www.youtube.com/dannyatcranny

PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluesbat View Post
    For the last year or so, have been waking up in the night with pins and needles from the tips of my fingers up to my elbows?
    Also get it when driving sometimes, but not as yet when playing.

However, I went to see my doctor, who referred me to a neurologist.
    She carried out electric shock tests, and I am diagnosed with Carpian Tunnel syndrome, and need an operation on both wrists to clear the trapped nerve in each.

Anyone out there had the same problem?
    Did it affect your playing afterwards?
    Hey bluesbat , I have this problem and have had it for about 15 years with no surgery .

Try taking PB's advise and go to a local pharmacy that carries more than just your over the counter type meds .

My family doctor told me to pick up a brace for my wrist and only wear it at night while I was sleeping . The pain was so intense it would wake me at night nothing would make it go away . It made my fore arms throb so bad they felt like they would explode .

It took a while for them to get better but eventually the pain went away ,not 100 % but enough to where it stops me from being able to do stuff .
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

i do the same thing .. i have a brace for each wrist when Im sleeping .. and i sometimes use them when typing just for the support.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Toad View Post
    i do the same thing .. i have a brace for each wrist when Im sleeping .. and i sometimes use them when typing just for the support.
    They made all the difference in the world to me . Its rare that I wear one now ,but I am careful of what I do to limit the use of my wrists .

I will use a battery operated drill before using a screwdriver etc . I limit the twisting and turning of my wrists as much as possible and keep an eye on any type of power tool that vibrates . I do a lot of commercial and industrial electrical work and need to use my hands on a daily basis so I watch what I do.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

im the same way I definatly dont use them every night I already have insomnia problems but if I start feeling anything in my wrists Ill wear them for a few nights. I actually picked up my sticks with them the other day to see my natural wrist position when practicing with the pad compared to where the braces put me and it was pretty darn close so I must be doing something right ... right?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluesbat View Post
    Thanks Guys !
    There must be another drummer out there somewhere who has experienced the same condition.
    Would inspire a bit of confidence if I knew there were no after effects.

Incidentally, I am told that it is due to 47 years of playing consistently.
    It's not a question of bad technique.
    That's the trouble with us old drummers, what with the arthiritis as well, a sad state of affairs!
    The first thing that suffers is the classic buzz roll, and the paradiddle.......got to think even a few more bars in advance, when playing now !
    Yeah, there ARE after-effects, bro. Never had the knife, but have the basic condition. After the knife, you can expect soreness, lack of mobility, but the tingling thing does reduce. So I just live with it, since I use matched grip, it slows me down a bit, but I do not want to get cut and the resultant lay-off and therapy b.s. attendant after the surgery. A bro I know had the knife, he felt {in his opinion}, a decrease in mobility and speed, no improvement there. He did notice the lack of the weird tingling, though.

I just live with it, but I'm in my 50's now, and can't recapture my 20'ish year old flexibility, ya hear me??? It may just be accept your age, and adjust to a slower rate of speed.
    Currently electronics, with some "real" cymbals and a few accesories.