Thread: Acoustic Conversions

User Info Menu

Question Acoustic Conversions

I only recently learned about drummers converting their acoustics to electronic. Is this mainly for being able to have the look of an acoustic, but the processed sounds and volume control of an electronic or is there some other reason for it? -JessiG

User Info Menu

Default Re: Acoustic Conversions

A variety of reasons for me, here are just three.

1) I had an all Roland kit, but wanted it to replicate my acoustic set up, so I bought another less expensive Gretsch kit to convert.

2) I have the option with my set up, to part change the kit sounds while playing which adds a dynamic

3) It's 1.30am and while the family sleep just feet away, I am about to start drumming.

PROUD TO BE ENDORSED BY DUALLIST PEDALS
    Drums: Phil Collins Pearl DLX | Pink Floyd DW Exotic Bird's Eye | Natal Bubinga Custom Fusion | Cymbals: DIRIL & UFIPeDrums: 2Box DrumIt 5
    BACK BEATING DRUMMING BLOG ||| PINK FLOYD DW KIT ||| PHIL COLLINS PEARL KIT
    www.graham-collins.com/drummer ||| www.pinkfloyddrums.com ||| PHIL COLLINS PEARL KIT

User Info Menu

I went thru sevaral e sets and they felt too much like e sets . I wanted the looks and positions of a real set and I too play at odd hours

This set looks better to me than

This set

E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

They do definately look a lot better. I have a Hart Dynamics kit and a Verve Percussion kit. I don't use the Verve kit much because of the noise and also I can never really get it to sound good no matter how much I tune it. Nevertheless, it seems to have some sentimental value to me because it was my first kit and my parents bought it for me for Christmas a few years back when I started playing, so it reminds me of their support of my music and I don't want to get rid of it. I was thinking of combining the two, so I wanted to see what would be the good and bad things about it. -JessiG

User Info Menu

Interesting, I have experimented with putting acoustic drum heads on my Roland e-drums, and liked the feel and the sound that was added to the overall kit sound, are you all saying that you are putting mesh heads on the acoustic drums and using triggers, do they make 22” mesh heads for kick drums, and if so what manufacture makes them, very interesting, now I have a new experiment to try, and if this works what about converting and using the factory triggers from the V-drums in the shells of the acoustic drums, I know this would mean going down the Frankenstein road, but it might work, “its alive”.

KM
    http://www.myspace.com/thebanters

I'm still the best Keith Moon type drummer in the world
    My friends call me Keith, but you can call me John.
    - Keith Moon-

User Info Menu

Basically what I have done is taken a Gretsch Catalina kit and I have replaced the heads with Roland two ply mesh heads
    (although the bass drum has another brand as Roland don’t do a 22")

I have left Remo heads on the bottom of each drum, this gives me some depth to the 'natural' Kit sound, so I can (and do)
    actually play with the module off if I want to.

Under headphones, I don’t hear any 'natural' sound of the kit unless I want to.

To each head is attached a Roland RT trigger which are then connected to my modules and cross talk is dialled out in the
    same way as en electric kit.

I don't use a real snare though. I have tried it and while it is fine to a degree, you don’t get Positional sensoring with the
    triggers, so my light ghost notes were just not working, so I opted to use a PD-125 12" pad.

Hope that helps?

Full details are at my website.
    Drums: Phil Collins Pearl DLX | Pink Floyd DW Exotic Bird's Eye | Natal Bubinga Custom Fusion | Cymbals: DIRIL & UFIPeDrums: 2Box DrumIt 5
    www.graham-collins.com/drummer ||| www.pinkfloyddrums.com ||| PHIL COLLINS PEARL KIT

User Info Menu

So I have been inspired to go ahead and do a full conversion of an acoustic kit. I will take two 10” acoustic toms, and two 12” acoustic toms, take the guts out of the Roland V-drum shells (triggering mechanisms), mount them in the acoustic shells. Also take a 22” kick drum shell and modify a mount to mount the trigger from the Roland and see how this all works. I think I can find some inexpensive nice looking shells being that the sound is not that important, and the cost of the Roland triggers is roughly $600 this should be a few $$$ more to achieve.

I have tried the Roland acoustic triggers before on my acoustic set and did not like the triggering response. The kick may work with just a mesh head and the Roland K-trigger, but if not then the full conversion will proceed. As for the snare I will use the Roland 120 pad being it is not seen and the there is no need to mount it in a 14” shell. When I am done I will post pictures and reviews of performances and usability.

Great inspiration guys.

KM

- Keith Moon-

User Info Menu

This is a Great thread !! Cuban I really like your conversion ! I too have been strugling with the snare delemia . I have been trying to find a hart 13 for a deal they are hard to find soooo... I bought a pacific birdseye maple 14 " snare drum with a killer pro installed dual trigger setup its on the way now !!
    E Drums !! !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kickman View Post
    So I have been inspired to go ahead and do a full conversion of an acoustic kit. I will take two 10” acoustic toms, and two 12” acoustic toms, take the guts out of the Roland V-drum shells (triggering mechanisms), mount them in the acoustic shells. Also take a 22” kick drum shell and modify a mount to mount the trigger from the Roland and see how this all works. I think I can find some inexpensive nice looking shells being that the sound is not that important, and the cost of the Roland triggers is roughly $600 this should be a few $$$ more to achieve.

I have tried the Roland acoustic triggers before on my acoustic set and did not like the triggering response. The kick may work with just a mesh head and the Roland K-trigger, but if not then the full conversion will proceed. As for the snare I will use the Roland 120 pad being it is not seen and the there is no need to mount it in a 14” shell. When I am done I will post pictures and reviews of performances and usability.

Great inspiration guys.

KM
    Kickman just like to share my 2 cents worth if I may ! I think the $600 can be spent with a better set up at the end I'll send you a PM with some details but anyway there's a custom built trigger set up that comes ready to install with easy intructions and roland settings to get a close base dial in !! They give you rim and head triggers and positional sensing !
    E Drums !! !

User Info Menu

drumdial triggers are a good less expensive alternative
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

OK so the verdict is in, I am going to proceed with the hybrid acoustic/ electric V-drum kit. The trigger housing from the Roland V-drums pops right out as easy as changing a head. All I need to do is drill a small 3/8 hole for the jack, trim that out with a simple bushing, put on the Roland mesh head with rubber rim cover and my Mapex Saturn is a hybrid Roland V-drum kit.

To go back to just acoustic, simply take the mesh heads off pop the trigger assembly out and put on an acoustic head and I am ready to rock, the little 3/8 hole should not affect the drum, just add a little more porting. I already have a 10” and 12” tom so purchasing another 10” and 12” is less then getting all new triggers for my acoustic set.

The kick will just have a Heart mesh head with a Roland acoustic trigger, that should work just fine, if not then I will mount the Roland trigger assembly in the 22” kick. I will post picks and reviews when I am out of the lab.

KM

- Keith Moon-

User Info Menu

You can drill out the vent and replace it later with a screw in type !! No need to add a hole in the drum.
    E Drums !! !

User Info Menu

good idea
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I thought about that, but the input jack is mounted to the admissibly and for convince of changing out the trigger, the hole would be better to have.

- Keith Moon-

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
    Cuban I really like your conversion ! I too have been strugling with the snare delemia . I have been trying to find a hart 13 for a deal they are hard to find soooo... I bought a pacific birdseye maple 14 " snare drum with a killer pro installed dual trigger setup its on the way now !!
    Thanks 2slow.
    Your new snare sound great, will it have positional sensing?
    We have a couple of companies here in the UK now doing these drums, Jobeky and Diamond, both seem very good.

Certainly Jobeky's drums allow for positional sensing for anyone looking for a more tradtional look to their snare, not
    sure about Diamond's though?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cuban View Post
    Thanks 2slow.
    Your new snare sound great, will it have positional sensing?
    We have a couple of companies here in the UK now doing these drums, Jobeky and Diamond, both seem very good.

Certainly Jobeky's drums allow for positional sensing for anyone looking for a more tradtional look to their snare, not
    sure about Diamond's though?
    Yes it has positional sensing,cross stick and rim shot !! This set up uses 5 piezos it's coming in the morning !!
    E Drums !! !

User Info Menu

I am configuring My kit for an up and coming out door venue where the sound ordnance says you can not play louder then 85dB so I have converted my Roland V-drum kit to a hybrid electric acoustic kit, the kick drum has a heart mesh head and a Roland acoustic trigger, and also I am miking the kick and I run them all threw two Roland KC550's and two KCW-1 sub woofers. The kick drum is not triggering as well as the Roland kick pad, I have found that the tighter the drum head the better the triggering, or more consistent, but the rebound is faster and it takes a little getting use to it, any suggestions on the kick drum triggering.

KM

- Keith Moon-

User Info Menu

Hi KM

The sensitivity on the kick is the hardest thing to get right and I have also
    found, the one that needs to be redialled in more often.

Ironically, I put a bit more slack on the kick head and reduced the tension
    on the pedal which helped a great deal, but in addition, if you are using a
    Roland module, depending on which one, you can make adjustments to the
    Retrig / Scan time and also the 'pad' Sensitivity / Threshold and between
    those, it will cure the problem.

It will be trial and error between the settings, but it will sort it out.

As I mentioned, the trigger contact with the head will need adjusting more
    often as it seem to vibrate out of optimum contact.

Hope that helps.

User Info Menu

i used to put mine up to 128ths
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I am playing with the settings, the TDW-20 has a lot of settings to help with the triggering, I chose the Roland triggers instead of the pads and then start adjusting the sensitivity and other parameters, it seams to be helping but still working on the fleeting ghost notes on the kick.

KM

- Keith Moon-

User Info Menu

try this on the kick make the head kinda tight

pad type RT7K
    sen 7
    thresh 6
    curve log2 or linear see which works best

scan time 3.5
    retrig 14
    mask 10

this is a good base you can tweak from here hope this helps
    E Drums !! !

User Info Menu

I'm taking the DIY set to the church, this will be it's first time out ! Think i'm gonna cut it down to a small set and hoping to sneak in the acoustic heads and cymbals in a week or 2!! My plan is to not have anyone even notice when I switch !! They are gun shy from the last couple drummers playing....well like drummers do ! I'm gonna take the B-52 1000 and maybe take the drums outta the house front all together its a small room maybe 150 peeps then I will have control waahahaha !!
    E Drums !! !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
    try this on the kick make the head kinda tight

pad type RT7K
    sen 7
    thresh 6
    curve log2 or linear see which works best

scan time 3.5
    retrig 14
    mask 10

this is a good base you can tweak from here hope this helps
    Thanks for this info, it has helped a lot on the kick, now onto the floor tom, any suggestions on that one?

KM

- Keith Moon-

User Info Menu

Here is the current Hybrid e-acoustic kit I will be playing this Friday for its maiden voyage.
    Attached Images Attached Images

- Keith Moon-

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kickman View Post
    Thanks for this info, it has helped a lot on the kick, now onto the floor tom, any suggestions on that one?

KM
    try this on the toms

sens 5
    thres 2
    curve log2
    scan time 2.6
    retrig 6
    mask 6
    E Drums !! !