Thread: Off-season Drumline

User Info Menu

Default Off-season Drumline

What does your drumline do durring the off-season (spring)? I've long since graduated highschool, but when I was in drumline, marching season was all about business, and the off-season was our ensemble play time. At my school we had a seperate class for percussion and the rest of the band, so durring concert season we rarely even saw the rest of the band. We would spend maybe 2 or 3 days right before going over material for the spring band concert, but the rest of the semester was all fun. We did some really amazing ensembles.

Our percussion director was huge into Led Zep, so he transcribed "Bonzo's Montreaux", if you've never heard it before type it into youtube RIGHT NOW! We also did a state competition piece called "Bonham" that we got all 1s on. We did several stompesque style ensembles, one called diners club where we played on dishes and pots and pans, a 4 person push broom ensemble, and a sweet blown-up paper bag ensemble. One of the coolest we did was Khachaturian's "Sabre Dance", you know the Pee-wee's Big Adventure song. We did many more, but I won't list them all.

So what do you guys do in the off-season?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Off-season Drumline

Thats a cool idea.....I always wished our band when I was still in school did that . I really enjoyed the time I spent on the drum line .

Our band director didnt live close by school and turned down most jazz band competitions because after a long night he didnt want to drive another hour or more home .
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

The percussion do percussion ensembles. Nothing we do is as good as drumline.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Well, for our school we march in mardi gras parades, (were crazy south louisiana cajons) we do concert band, and jazz band, I can't wait to play drumset in jazz band
    yeah! rockin that vintage snare!

User Info Menu

The GIST of mine go the same way yours did!
    The only way to catch a butterfly is never waiting for the wings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by concrete Building View Post
    The percussion do percussion ensembles. Nothing we do is as good as drumline.
    We do percussion ensemble as well, but it is in addition to our concert season. We hold auditions to see whether we will be placed in varsity (lowest concert band), concert band (middle) or symphonic band. The tenor line from the past marching season are also training me becuz i've made it known that i wanna march them next year. our rehearsal schedule also isnt as demanding as marching band.
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

My drumline does concert band during the off season, while taking field trips to middle/elementary schools and other venues as well.

We also do an ensemble competition. We played "Bonham" and got all 1's, like Gretschhead.

We also march parades, like the past weekends St. Patricks Day parade.
    Sabian Squad (Albeit Ironically )

Check out my Youtube Channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/AustVaiv?feature=mhee