Thread: New Set?

User Info Menu

Default New Set?

right now I have a six piece percussion plus set not counting my ride cymbal.

What drum set could I get that would be cheap but that would have good concert toms on them?

even though its slightly expensive I'm leaning torwards

which one? the second pulse one I don't really trust because I havent heard of pulse.
    and I've played the first one because thats what my jazz band has.
    Last edited by drummer; 05-31-2007 at 08:08 AM.
    Band: System of a Down
    Song: Atwa

Current: four way independence

User Info Menu

well yes exports are entry level pearl but its still pearl

pulse is a just a know name knock off sort of drum brand

the heads and drums will be crap so dont go with that, go with the pearl get a free 10' tom, sweet deal no question go with the pearl
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

Smile

thats what i was thinking but like I said I've played the pearl before and really liked the sound of it

User Info Menu

I have a Pearl ELX and it was worth every penny. I played one of the Pulse kits at my local music store and I have to say that I was'nt impressed. The Pearl has WAY better sound!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

The double bass wouldnt be bad, but just like amp said, it will probably be crap, just by lookiung at it, the hardware seems really thin

Id say go with the pearl export, even better deal on a export with a free 10 inch tom
    Last edited by drummer; 05-31-2007 at 08:08 AM.

User Info Menu

Pearl Kits for the win!

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

ok cool. although I would be wanting some double bass... anyone know a farely cheap brand that would hold for awhile?

although i know ith drums you get what you pay for most of the time.

User Info Menu

Uhm, surf around guitarcenter, I think DDrum sells a double bass 4 toms i think, thats about 600$, and DDrum isnt a bad brand

User Info Menu

you should just get a double pedal...on Musician's Friend there's a $100 pacific drums double pedal
    The egg approves!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eggman
    you should just get a double pedal...on Musician's Friend there's a $100 pacific drums double pedal
    What he said.

You can always add another bass drum to the kit later.

User Info Menu

I don't have enough room for a nother Bass sadly.

User Info Menu

Get a Double Bass pedal...It's almost useless to get an Actual Double Bass Drumset,When You can play Double Bass with just buying a Double Bass Pedal...I reccomend the Tama Iron Cobra (Power Glide) Double Bass Pedal...Or any of the DW Double Bass pedals...I would have to go with the Pearl drumset...I'm not a HUGE Pearl fan,But it's better than the Pulse drumsets.I am a Ludwig fan myself,So I would go with a Ludwig Classic Maple,Or Ludwig Accent Custom (Not Made anymore,Thats what I have)...But thats just my opinion...

User Info Menu

I was in Guitar Center this weekend and they had Pearl EXR 5-piece drum sets for $299. I couldnt believe it. I think they are trying to get rid of them for the new sets coming in.

User Info Menu

of the two the export is a better buy. but you had better order quick as the export as we know it is discontinued to be replaced by the new vision line.
    i know everyone has heard me say this by now...the gretch catalina birch or maple are the best sounding drums for under a grand. 599.00 for a 5 pc.

User Info Menu

oh so really pearl exports are now discontinued i didnt know that

so wats the difference between them and the new vision line

why would they discontinue them??
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain
    i know everyone has heard me say this by now...the gretch catalina birch or maple are the best sounding drums for under a grand. 599.00 for a 5 pc.

I want one of those so bad
    The egg approves!

User Info Menu

this from the moderators over at the pearl forum....the vision line and the only kit to carry the export ...the EXC are a direct response to getting thier asses handed to them by gretsch catalina and mapex pro-m and m-birch for the last 2 years.
    the export EXC is basically a session kit, all maple with i.s.s mounts. 8 lug snare and kick. in limited finishes.
    the vision line is now a birch/basswood hybrid w/ i.s.s mounts. much like tamas superstar line.

User Info Menu

Get some used drums, older Ludwigs, Slingerlands,Pearl, Tama or what ever. Check Pawn shops & music stores for used stuff. You can get A LOT more BANG for BUCK!
    Dave H.

User Info Menu

Definately go with getting a double pedal man. Tama's Iron Cobra, Pearl's Eliminator or basically any of the DW double pedals will do the job right.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dave H.
    Get some used drums, older Ludwigs, Slingerlands,Pearl, Tama or what ever. Check Pawn shops & music stores for used stuff. You can get A LOT more BANG for BUCK!
    Dave H.
    this is a fact. and check ebay. can get some good deals on used pearl masters or tama starclassics for about 800 for a 5 pc. and they will be better than the intermediate kits mentioned.

User Info Menu

Default pearl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dude go with pearl i was thinking about buying a pulse but then i told myself dont be stupid go with a name brand not some crappy offbrand pearl all the way

User Info Menu

Suprisingly. Even though sometimes your pay for a brandname. Pearl seems to keep the value for money in the sound of their drums. I dont know why you would get below an export unless your a school
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters