Thread: Buying my first kit, am I missing anything?

User Info Menu

Default Buying my first kit, am I missing anything?

So far I have on my list of things to buy:

Drums - Gretsch Catalina Maple Set

Hi-Hat - AAX X-Celerator Hats

Crash - AAX X-Plosion Crash

Ride - AAX Metal Ride

Throne - Roc-N-Soc Nitro Throne

Sticks - Vic Firth

If there is anything on this list that could be better for the price, please tell me.

Hi-Hat Stand - Any suggestions?

Crash Stand - Any suggestions?

Ride Stand - Any suggestions?

Pedal - Any suggestions on a double pedal around $200-$350?

Drum Hardware - Does the Catalina Maple set come with this? I would need a snare stand and tom mounts for the bass drum. I'm not sure if the Catalina Maple set comes with these parts.

Is there anything I'm forgetting? I understand that all this is intermediate stuff but when I first started playing guitar I was discouraged by my crappy equipment and I didn't feel like playing because of the bad equipment I had. I don't want that to happen when I start playing drums.
    Last edited by gtrplyr; 08-05-2009 at 02:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Buying my first kit, am I missing anything?

Gtrplyr, I like the PDP 900 series stands. They are solid, and come at a decent price point. Snare stands are probably something that you should investigate for yourself, because different stands do things differently. Some are infinitely adjustable and some have specific adjustment positions, for instance. With snare stands you should check them out and see what it is that you need, IMHO.

The Gretsch Catalina kit will come with the tom mount for the ride toms, and of course, the legs for the floor toms. You will need to buy all the stands, the throne, and a bass pedal separately.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Gtrplyr, I like the PDP 900 series stands. They are solid, and come at a decent price point. Snare stands are probably something that you should investigate for yourself, because different stands do things differently. Some are infinitely adjustable and some have specific adjustment positions, for instance. With snare stands you should check them out and see what it is that you need, IMHO.

The Gretsch Catalina kit will come with the tom mount for the ride toms, and of course, the legs for the floor toms. You will need to buy all the stands, the throne, and a bass pedal separately.
    so the cat maples dont come with a snare stand?

also this is a little off topic. i heard that the feet for the floor toms are horrible on the cat maple set, did u switch the feet out? i heard if u switch the feet to something of better quality it really makes the floor toms sound great.

User Info Menu

Nice list man, that will be a very nice setup. Most of the big name brands make great pedals and stands, dw, tama, pearl, yamaha etc. Gibraltar is also an excellent hardware maker, thats all they do, so their stuff is very nice and fairly cheap for what you get.

User Info Menu

i think i might go with tama iron cobra double pedal for my pedal, its a little over my budget but i dont really have a budget anyways because this is all just a wishlist until i get a job :\

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gtrplyr View Post
    i think i might go with tama iron cobra double pedal for my pedal, its a little over my budget but i dont really have a budget anyways because this is all just a wishlist until i get a job :\
    Hey....can you please watch the flagrant use of that "J" word???? Youre makin me break out in a cold sweat . I had to sneak out of work today so the boss wouldnt ask me to work some OT .

You got the rest of you life to work.....dont you have a rich aunt , grand-parents or a mom and dad to sponge off of for now?

very nice list you put together too . Best iof luck getting them . .
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    Hey....can you please watch the flagrant use of that "J" word???? Youre makin me break out in a cold sweat . I had to sneak out of work today so the boss wouldnt ask me to work some OT .

You got the rest of you life to work.....dont you have a rich aunt , grand-parents or a mom and dad to sponge off of for now?

very nice list you put together too . Best iof luck getting them . .

naughty naughty

and no, no one in my family would want to spend about $2500 out of no where (yes thats about how much that whole list comes together at)

User Info Menu

LOL...............I know , you gotta give yourself some type of target goal to aim for .
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    LOL...............I know , you gotta give yourself some type of target goal to aim for .
    itll be a LONG time before i even get my first kit

User Info Menu

All good choices there. Also if you buy the Cat Maples from Sigler Music, they come with a free hardware pack. I believe it has a snare stand, hi hat stand, straight stand and boom stand.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    All good choices there. Also if you buy the Cat Maples from Sigler Music, they come with a free hardware pack. I believe it has a snare stand, hi hat stand, straight stand and boom stand.
    how do they make money if they give all that stuff free with it?

User Info Menu

[QUOTE= Gibraltar is also an excellent hardware maker, thats all they do, so their stuff is very nice and fairly cheap for what you get.[/QUOTE]

agree Gibraltar is good stuff for the money.
    Pditty

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gtrplyr View Post
    Good pedal. I have had mine for 3 years now. I have 2 stripped screws in the piece that connects the slave to the main. They have so much redundancy that it was not an issue and I had plenty of time to repair.
    Pditty

User Info Menu

Sounds like a killer set-up!

Check out some hardware my pearl they make top notch heavy duty gear
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

i generally go to pearl for my hardware. but its all a matter of choice, but its what im familiar with and have the easiest time obtaining/using.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I've also been pleased with the Mapex hardware pack we got for my kid's Superstar set. Very solid and very high quality. Very easily adjustable as well. I think it was the 500 series pack.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

i love tama road pro hardware. its all i use, but is a bit pricey.

as for the double pedal, i would recommend the iron cobra, but i wouldn't necessarilaly recommend any double pedal to a person who is just starting. i intentionally spent 4 years before buying a double pedal and while compensating with only a single, it build up my skill with it ALOT.

i would rather get another crash before a double pedal. as cymbals will improve your sound a whole lot more then a double pedal.

also have you heard the cymbals you are choosing? you may buy them and realize that there are much better cymbals for your liking at the same price range. not to mention, two cymbals of the same model and size can sound different when right next to each other. you will always be happier if you hand pick them.