Thread: Floor tom lugs will not stay tight

User Info Menu

Default Floor tom lugs will not stay tight

Hi everyone,
    I'm new to the forum. I have a 16x16 floor tom (That I have had for 5+ years) and recently the lugs will come loose almost immediately after playing. All it takes is hitting the floor tom a couple times and the lugs will be completely loose. Is there anything I can do to stop this?
    Thanks everyone

User Info Menu

Default Re: Floor tom lugs will not stay tight

Hiya dave, it sounds as if your lugs are getting worn, and therefore losing the grip. I had the same problem with a cymbal arm many moons ago. You could try putting some insulation tape at the exact place on the leg, where it goes through the lug. Therefore you get more grip, and it should,nt be seen. If it is the tightening screw that is worn, and not securing the leg into place, then one option is to use a new bolt that is wider.
    www.myspace.com/gozrock
    www.myspace.com/video/rid/110115140
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    22"x20"
    10"x7"
    12"x8"
    14"x12"
    16"x14"
    Mapex Black Panther Sledgehammer 14"x6.5

Sabian AAX Cymbals

In Support of Leighs Record attempt
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

You could try taking up the piano.

LOL... just kiddin' Dave. Hey welcome to our drum chat family! I hope you'll stick around and post often.

You can try lug locks. Those little square plastic things that go on the tip of the lug to keep it in place when you tune them. They're a pain when you have to tune the drum often but I find them more tolerable on the bottom than on the top. I only use a few now and then when lugs start backing out.

User Info Menu

Am i getting confused here dave, are we on about the lug coming away from the shell ?, or the leg slipping through the lug ?, or are you saying the tension rods are coming loose ?
    www.myspace.com/gozrock
    www.myspace.com/video/rid/110115140
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    22"x20"
    10"x7"
    12"x8"
    14"x12"
    16"x14"
    Mapex Black Panther Sledgehammer 14"x6.5

Sabian AAX Cymbals

In Support of Leighs Record attempt
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

hes talking about his tension rods loosening due to vibration. this topic has been brought up several time on this forum, alot of people have this same problem.

what drummer said is correct, they make lug locks that keep your tension rods from moving, they can be purchased at your local drum store.

keep in mind if you ever move your drums from a low elevation to a high elevation, (if you practice in the mountains, and gig in the flat land) even with lug locks, your drums can still go out of tune because of the air pressure changes at higher elevations.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    You could try taking up the piano.
    good one drummer. I'd still go with what Ironfist says. It seems like a good idea.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Try Aquarian heads. They tune low better than other heads. Perhaps using them will help you tune low, and still have enough tension to keep the rods from slipping.

• 1966 4-piece Ludwig Black Oyster Pearl
    • 2000 8-piece DW Collector's Grey Swirl
    • 2002 8-piece Pearl Masterworks GB Packer Gold
    • 2008 8-piece Tama B&B Lava Glass Glitter
    • Paiste Signature 12, 14, 14, 16, 16, 17, 18, 18, 20, 20, 22
    • Paiste Formula 602 14, 14, 16, 18, 20

User Info Menu

But don't go to GC for aquarian. They tend to be low in stock on them.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Simplest and most practical solution is common lock washers available any hardware store for pennies.

all the best...

User Info Menu

if all the above fails

get a set of new lugs

User Info Menu

that plumbers tape stuff works great for that
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

thread tape.

My dad uses it for plumbing to make any threaded connections watertight but it also makes them tighter so they don't come loose. You can pick it up at any plumbing dealer such as fergeson, 2m, moen, any of those places should have it as well as some hardware stores.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkat View Post
    that plumbers tape stuff works great for that
    I believe he means teflon tape...the stuff they use to seal the threads on plumbing fixtures and the like. It is white, and you simply wrap it around the threads. Should only need a layer or two...and then screw it in. Probably the cheapest option for fixing this.

Or get some loc-tite...but you'd have to reapply it every time you moved the lugs.

User Info Menu

Im going a limb here assuming you mean the floortom LEG is slipping down, not the lug.

Add another washer to where to turn and tighten the floortom leg in place...this adds extra pressure and helps it hold for another 5+ years.

for rotating t rods, try lug locks...theyre from the 80s, but they still work...come in packs of 8-100 for a few bucks

if you did mean to say your LUGS were coming loose, then either cut your loses, sell on craiglsit/ebay and get you a new flashy kit OR get new lugs...which may be as much as the new kit,
    Last edited by El-kevo the drumtech; 09-17-2009 at 02:30 PM. Reason: lug locks

User Info Menu

AFTER you measure the hole distance that the bolts accept, find a lug with the exact same measurements and replace it and all of the tension rods which are problematic. dont let it become a huge problem or you'll end up spending more cash in the long run.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments