Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Slingerland Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Slingerland Drums Discussion

In about '76, I went into a music store somewhere in the LA area to get a couple of pairs of sticks and heads to keep in our truck.

There was a set of White Pearl Buddy Rich Slingerland drums roped off in the middle of the floor. 24" BD, 13"x9" up tom and 2 16"x16" floor toms. The snare was similar to the 1 shown above. It was complete with all hardware and Zildjian cymbals.

I went there thinking I was going to spend about $25-30 and wound up spending almost a K between the drums and cases.

White Pearl is a gorgeous finish. I had a set of White Pearl Rogers in our studio, but they weren't as pretty as the Slingerlands.

When I called it quits, I sold off 3 sets (2 Ludwigs and the Rogers) and gave the Slingerlands away to a young kid. I should have given him 1 of the Ludwigs and kept the Slingerlands because they were so damn pretty.

As a side note, not 1 person, in the 5 years or so that I've been putting up videos, has ever noticed that I have a Slingerland Set-O-Matic on my BD.
    Fragile looking as they are compared to todays stuff, they have held a 14"x10" tom for 45-46 years. I hated the Ludwig tom holder from those days.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    As a side note, not 1 person, in the 5 years or so that I've been putting up videos, has ever noticed that I have a Slingerland Set-O-Matic on my BD.
    Fragile looking as they are compared to todays stuff, they have held a 14"x10" tom for 45-46 years. I hated the Ludwig tom holder from those days.
    I thought it was pretty funny when I saw this set. It's at Pro Drum in Hollywood. Check out what he wanted for the tom mount! What Buddy want's, Buddy gets!
    [IMG]https://www.facebook.com/StanKeyawa/...type=3&theater[/IMG]

User Info Menu

I don't think I've posted a pic of my new Slingerland kit. This kit was a mix of Concert King (imported, 5 ply maple) and Studio King (from the Conway, Arkansas operation, so select Keller 5-ply maple shells and cast hoops) kits. When received, all were brand new NOS drums in three different finishes. I recovered them all in Slingerland/Delmar large-chip white marine pearl wrap. All of this came to me with great thanks to my very generous benefactor, John Ollis.

Since the picture was taken, I've added a Studio King 10" tom, so the sizes are as follows: 10, 12, 13, 16, 18, and 22" bass drum. The snare drum in the picture is another Concert King, 5.5 X 14, 3-ply maple, with Zoomatic Strainer and cast hoops. This little snare will simiply POP! I have two of them, so one will remain in natural maple finish, while the other will be covered in the same white marine pearl wrap as the kit.

GeeDeeEmm

Slingerland Concert King Rewrapped 001.jpgSlingerland Concert King Rewrapped 004.jpgSlingerland Concert King Rewrapped 008.jpgSlingerland Concert King Rewrapped 012.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

CL Score!
    Picked up these today. Just oozing mojo. They'd been his dad's. Cruise ship drummer, etc. Chrome is immaculate. Even got an extra longrail spade with them. Slingy cymbal stand and an unknown one. Ludwig anchor. Great old canvas bags. The band logos are fun. Stamped NOV 64. If anybody's got a really yellowed floor tom, I'm in the market. Not
    concerned about a perfect match, gonna gig these bad boys!......
    BTW, the guy said since they'll need work, they were $50.00. Yes. I offered more. He turned it down. He even loaded them for me, as I
    am one week postop from spinal surgery and can't lift more then 10 lbs. I thanked him.......

User Info Menu

Set up my Slingerlands for this year. lol Last year it was 13" up and 16" and 18" down. This year 12" up and 15" and 16" down. Shown here with the Gibraltar Vertical Stealth Mounting System. I'm also in the process of chrome polishing them for the first time since they were new! lol. There is still no rust anywhere, since 1980. The wrap is metal (a magnet does stick to it) so good ol Mother's chrome polish will do the trick.DSC02073.jpgDSC02068.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    Set up my Slingerlands for this year. lol Last year it was 13" up and 16" and 18" down. This year 12" up and 15" and 16" down. Shown here with the Gibraltar Vertical Stealth Mounting System. I'm also in the process of chrome polishing them for the first time since they were new! lol. There is still no rust anywhere, since 1980. The wrap is metal (a magnet does stick to it) so good ol Mother's chrome polish will do the trick.DSC02073.jpgDSC02068.jpg
    Fantastic looking kit drummerMD. Let me guess...cymbal condoms?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Fantastic looking kit drummerMD. Let me guess...cymbal condoms?
    Yeah, don't want those suckers breeding on me! lol. No I was too lazy to take them off! oh well! I'm doing some work on my Yammies also. Cleaning and putting double flange hoops and hooks top and bottom on all toms! DSC02080.jpg

User Info Menu

Finally found a match for my '64 Slingerlands. A 14" marching snare that now identifies as a floor tom! What a great sounding set. Just huge, and round. What I hear in my head when I think of drums. Regretted selling my Radio Kings, and finally have a set that might even surpass them. I'm the second owner. Chrome is just perfect. The mellowed wrap is too cool. I'm stoked.......

User Info Menu

That set looks great! And that perfect, uniform yellowing of the wrap is gorgeous. You nailed it on this kit.

GeeDeeEmm