Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Slingerland Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: Slingerland Drums Discussion

Wow, slingerland, that is a lot of eye candy. Thanks for posting.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slingerland View Post
    Here is my dream set, making Buddy Proud

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/atta...3&d=1290797141

Yes I own this kit, 85% bought new at the Niles plant in 69
    We almost have twins. Nice set.

“I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”

User Info Menu

Nice kit Slingerland and PopsOldSkins. There sure wasn't that many double bass drums in the 60-70 like today. That sure is a big kit. You guys still have and play this beautiful Slingerland kits. Vintage classic material for sure. Drool.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 08-03-2011 at 08:23 AM.

User Info Menu

A recent pic.

[IMG][/IMG]

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Slingerland Drums Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    A recent pic.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Wow Strider those toms sure look huge man what size are they.

User Info Menu

Hi, Pearl MCX Man!

The racks are both 13 x 9, one tuned 1/3 higher than the other, as in the "Call to the post" at race tracks which I can play from the Roto Toms right down to the FT. Both are Remo Pinstripe batters and clear Ambassador reso's. The FT is 16 x 16.

I like the balanced look up front with the Roto Toms in easy reach, continuing the 1/3 ascending pitch tuning in D (our singer's most used key signature). With the 14 x 5 Super Krupa matching snare, I have 6 drum surfaces available right in front of me with little stretching of my long arms (I'm 6' 2"). Makes for some interesting patterns with right hand on the ride, cowbell, etc. and maintaining the backbeat on the snare with filler ghost notes on the toms or Roto's. Think Gadd's Mozambique, for example.

Thanks for asking, m8!

Strider

User Info Menu

Picked up this snare over the weekend. Its a '75-'77ish Super Sound King. This was Slingerlands answer to the Ludwig Super-Sensitive. 5.5x14, 10 lug, chrome over brass shell, parallel strainer mechanism, new puresound wires. It has a few minor scratches here and there and a little rust on the throw arm, but otherwise she is pretty spotless. Crisp sound with those warm overtones you expect from a brass shell, and as the name alludes its quite sensitive. Easily the nicest sounding metal shell snare I've come across in my 15+ years playing.

*****GRETSCH****BOSPHORUS****AQUARIAN****VALJE**** *

User Info Menu

WOW! she is a beauty Gretschhead nice find.

User Info Menu

OK Slingy fans, question on the later years of Slingerland when they were bring run by Gibson. While down here in Charleston SC for the weekend I dropped by a neighborhood store and have found a Tour Series Snare in BMP.
    Store clerk tells me it is new even though the batter shows some wear. The overall condition is new looking with Slingerland badged heads and a very clean finish. The badge says Conway AR so I now it is from early 2000 period.
    When I asked the price he said $300. Told him I would think about it. My question is does anyone have any experience with these drums and what the general thought is on their quality and sound. I might go back and make an offer based on feedback. Thanks
    STACK57

Any man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile...
    Can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy".
    -- President John F. Kennedy

Gretsch Renown 57 and Renowns in Cherry Burst
    Noble & Cooley CD Maple kit and Horizon Hybrid kit
    Gretsch, Noble & Cooley, Pearl, Ludwig and Slingerland Snares
    Bosphorus & Zildjian Cymbals
    Gilbraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

Sorry stack cause I don't know much about the newer Slingerland snares. I own a late 70's Slingerland snare and I love sound of it. Actualy it is my favorite snare for playing classic and hard rock. I am sure there is someone else who might be able to help you on this. My advise would be for you to try and find a vintage slingerland snare for a cheaper price than that one you mention. Sorry and good luck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by STACK57 View Post
    OK Slingy fans, question on the later years of Slingerland when they were bring run by Gibson. While down here in Charleston SC for the weekend I dropped by a neighborhood store and have found a Tour Series Snare in BMP.
    Store clerk tells me it is new even though the batter shows some wear. The overall condition is new looking with Slingerland badged heads and a very clean finish. The badge says Conway AR so I now it is from early 2000 period.
    When I asked the price he said $300. Told him I would think about it. My question is does anyone have any experience with these drums and what the general thought is on their quality and sound. I might go back and make an offer based on feedback. Thanks
    Conway era snare drums were made with 10ply keller shells. The tour line had the sticksaver hoops while the studio kings had diecast. The build quality was probably decent, but remember, Gibson makes guitars, not drums, obviously they didn't give a poop about the company and let it go under. The drum will probably sound ok, but not anything like a vintage slingerland, just like any other run of the mill keller drum. I would agree with Pearl Man and tell you to look for a real Slingerland drum. For $300 you can get a really nice vintage Artist or Hollywood Ace that will blow the Conway out of the water in sound and coolness factor. A vintage model will also increase in value over the years, while the conway will probably never be a hot item.

User Info Menu

I could'nt agree more with you Gretschhead you know your Slingerland Vintage drums. You're the man. Unfortunatly Stack bought the snare for 200 so I guess he did not get a chance to read your reply.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 08-29-2011 at 03:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I could'nt agree more with you Gretschhead you know your Slingerland Vintage drums. You're the man. Unfortunatly Stack bought the snare for 200 so I guess he did not get a chance to read your reply.
    Thanks for the kind words Pearl Man! He probably did alright for $200, it's still a nice snare, just a more modern sound than what Slingerland is known for. Atleast he was able to knock the price down a good bit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    Thanks for the kind words Pearl Man! He probably did alright for $200, it's still a nice snare, just a more modern sound than what Slingerland is known for. Atleast he was able to knock the price down a good bit.
    Yeah I agree with you man. My Vintage Slingerland " Festival " snare is now my favorite of three snares I play with. I have it tuned right and just love the sound of it. I thought I would share that with you.

Gilles

User Info Menu

Just picked up this set of 1975 Slingerlands, in all original condition. They look like they sat for a good thirty years. Now I just need a snare.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Yeah I agree with you man. My Vintage Slingerland " Festival " snare is now my favorite of three snares I play with. I have it tuned right and just love the sound of it. I thought I would share that with you.

Gilles
    I was a diehard Gretsch guy for years, hence the name, until I came across my first Slingerland a few years ago. Now I just can't get away from them, maybe one of the mods should change my name to Slingyhead ! Glad to hear you're enjoying the Festival! Its a great snare and nice counterpart to the very popular Ludwig Acrolite. A good one to have in the collection for sure!

User Info Menu

I was a diehard Gretsch guy for years, hence the name, until I came across my first Slingerland a few years ago. Now I just can't get away from them, maybe one of the mods should change my name to Slingyhead ! Glad to hear you're enjoying the Festival! Its a great snare and nice counterpart to the very popular Ludwig Acrolite. A good one to have in the collection for sure!
    Hey I am not sure if the Mods could change your name for you. You would lose all your seniority also no one would know you anymore except me cause I know of your intentions. You will allways be Grestchhead to me Slingyhead or Slingyhead to me Grestchhead what a mess that sounds like LOL.

User Info Menu

So G-head what made you change over? What did you like better in the Slingy? I like that Green Sparkle - what year? I recently purchased a 1967 Slingy bass drum (for our band practice space) and noticed bearing edges one these drums that are very different than anything I've seen - the angle and the rounding. Gives a nice warmer sound, but with some punch too. I didn't like it at first, but have grown into it.

User Info Menu

Hey guys, here are some pics of the Tour Series. I agree with you G-Head on looking for a decent vintage Slingy but I felt this was a good deal for a drum that been sitting on the shelf. I have changed the head to a Evans Dry Genera and it tuned easily. I was actually quite surprised by the sound.

STACK57

Any man who may be asked in this century, what he did to make his life worthwhile...
    Can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy".

Gilbraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

Hey Stack that is a nice looking Slingy, nice color and all. The only thing I don't like about it is the wood inside and that to me would be to mellow for playing classic rock etc. I do not know what sound you are looking for. I play alot of classic soft to hard rock and found the steel or chrome over brass are the best sounding snares for that genre of music. Look around if you decide to get another snare ( Slingy) in the 60 late 70's for a good steel snare. Go back in this thread and look at some of the pics of some snares that other members have posted and get an idea what to look for in a Slingy. That is still a nice snare that you bought and hope you enjoy it. Let us know how it works out for you. Gretschhhead knows his Vintage Slingerland drums so you may ask him any questions in the future on any Slingerland products. You can also visit vintage drums or drum archives for info on any make of drums. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 08-31-2011 at 07:41 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by new_barbarian View Post
    Just picked up this set of 1975 Slingerlands, in all original condition. They look like they sat for a good thirty years. Now I just need a snare.

Hi new_barbarian that kit is a beauty. You shoud have no problem finding yourself a decent vintage Slingerland snare to blend in with that kit. Browse through this thread to get an idea of what snares Slingerland have had over the years. I see all kinds of Slingerland snares on CL or ebay at very reasonable prices. I think nice steel or COB( chrome over brass ) would sound good with your kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dropdtune View Post
    So G-head what made you change over? What did you like better in the Slingy? I like that Green Sparkle - what year? I recently purchased a 1967 Slingy bass drum (for our band practice space) and noticed bearing edges one these drums that are very different than anything I've seen - the angle and the rounding. Gives a nice warmer sound, but with some punch too. I didn't like it at first, but have grown into it.
    There are things I like about both brands, but I find Slingerland to be a bit warmer and fuller. The maple and mahogany they used during this time was some of the most beautiful I've ever come across. I prefer the sticksaver hoops to diecast, infact I think the sticksavers are the best designed hoops ever, this is just my personal preference. After owning quite a few vintage gretsch kits, I've found that they can be very finicky with modern heads, often times they fit very tight and are hard to tune correctly, I've even ruined brand new heads trying to get them on before. I have never once had a problem fitting modern heads on a slingerland drum.

Other than that I love vintage Gretsch drums, but the biggest factor is the pricing. Gretsch stuff is on the top of the vintage drum world pricewise. Kits are going for huge money and parts are even more outrageous. Restoring 1 drum can be very costly, a full set can cost you a small fortune. I can get 3 or 4 nice Slingerland kits for what I would pay for 1 nice Grestch. Roundbadge mojo isn't worth the extra coin to me, especially when Slingerland has some killer mojo going for itself as well and sounds better to my ears.

That green sparkle kit was around '75ish I believe, they weren't really my sizes and it turned out to be a re-wrap, so I sold it. Currently playing on a '65 gold sparkle, though still trying to find a matching floor tom to finish the set.

User Info Menu

Stack, she is a great looking snare, very classic look! I think for the price you did very well,

User Info Menu

Stack, she is a great looking snare, very classic look! I think for the price you did very well,
    +1. Now that I see the pic's, I'd have grabbed that deal when I first saw it at the shop. Congrats, m8!

Strider

User Info Menu

Thanks for the comments and advice Pearl Man. I do own a Pearl Sensitone Alloy I use for that nice cutting sound in Rock. My other snares are all Maple since the majority of my playing is Jazz and Blues. I am always looking for a nice Slingy to replace the one I sold twenty five years ago when I got married the first time. Live and learn hard lessons.
    STACK57

Gilbraltar Hardware