Thread: ***Uhhhh...***

User Info Menu

Question ***Uhhhh...***

Hi everyone,
    I haven`t been on Drumchat for a really long time but im back.

Okay so as I was looking around at Dani California drum covers on youtube, I found this one. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoOO0_JnBIg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoOO0_JnBIg[/ame]

I`m not trying to put him down or anything but I think this was extremely overplayed but he still got 5 stars and good comments like "I bet that drummer is wishing he would of played it this way "
    This guy has a lot of skill but...
    What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Nik276; 08-06-2009 at 10:33 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: ***Uhhhh...***

Have to agree. He's seems like he's a talented drummer, but it's way overplaying for the song. I'm guessing that he probably wanted to do more with it since he was recording. Not very interesting to watch someone play a really simple beat for 4 minutes, right.

There's definitely a certain amount of maturity and a certain mindset that allows you to just play simply and not feel like somehow you aren't showing your stuff enough. My bassist gets "bored" when bass parts are easy. I feel that way occasionally, but if it's a good song then the groove, the vocals, or the guitars are probably doing something interesting.

The way I look at it is there are styles of music, jazz, prog rock, metal particularly where all the instruments are doing something involved all the time. Play those if that's what you want, or just let it go and play "in the song".
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

In my opinion musicians have the right to overplay songs if they're doing a cover like this on youtube. I think his intention was to have fun and show his chops. Great drummer btw!

Who know's he might not be so overplaying when it comes to band performances.
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Good to see you back Nik726!

Thanks for posting that, I enjoyed it! The guy showed great talent!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Well, having way too much experience playing this song since it's in my band's cover line up...I have grown very tired of it. This guy looks like he's just havig fun with it and there's nothing wrong with that. But when we play it out I try to stick to the root of the groove that Chad recorded...people seem to like it when the covers song close to the original artist. This guy just seems to be "jammin".
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!