Thread: Powder Coating hardware...

User Info Menu

Default Powder Coating hardware...

Ive been contemplating building my own drumset, but of coarse I need to buy the lugs first. I want to powdercoat the hardware green, but dont want to buy new powdercoated lugs I want to buy used ones cheaply and powdercoat it. I assume I can bring them to a powdercoater, but what do I need to do first to prepare these lugs/hoops/legs? All the moving parts and such I dont know if theres steps to take before I bring it to a place. What should I tell them?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Powder Coating hardware...

Green I likes me some green .. sorry I dont know how to deal with powercoating stuff but I would love to see what it looks like when you get it done.

User Info Menu

Yeah, sorry man I can't help you but I'd love to see a kit with green hardware. And maybe like a black sparkle finish? That would be sweet!
    Matt

User Info Menu

Wire brush on a wheel (bench grinder or 90 grinder) to remove scale and crud then wipe with solvent. The powder coat shop will do the rest (they will not guarantee work if they don't prep)

Edit to add: This is assuming the chrome isn't pitted. If deeply pitted ask the paint shop to build up with prime/sand. Added cost. Best to look for good hdwr to start with.
    Last edited by Ribkick; 08-09-2009 at 12:34 AM.

User Info Menu

Don't do anything to the parts you want done.The shop that you use will have to bead blast the chrome and muriatic(sp) dip to get them clean enough for the powder to stick.They don't charge that much more for prep work and then it will be gauranteed.

Dont put any grinder to the pieces, or chemicals. You'll be making more work for the powder coater and that's more cost to you.

Just make sure to take springs out of lugs and rubber feet off stands.Just give them the parts you want coated.

The best way is for a shop to de-chrome w/reverse polarity. Chrome is put on nickel with electric current.

They reverse the polarity and the chrome falls off...Media/bead blasted should work fine thou, and will be a lot cheaper.
    Last edited by zzzdanz; 08-09-2009 at 07:19 AM.