Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All heads created equal?

User Info Menu

Default All heads created equal?

Here are two heads of the same conga family, both are water buffalo. The one in my hand was from a newer Lp performer series from (07) thin and too ringy no matter what I did, had to changed it out for cow and next to it is on an older (02) Lp performer series that sound sweet and warm, feels thicker too. This drum sounds comparable to a Matador or a classic, its like night and day! I know a lot of the old school conguero prefer mule, steer or cow and so do I but every now and then I come across a water buffalo head that sound so sweet! Could it be age or play time that give these heads their tone or is it just a natural thing were the skin from one water buffalo sound better than another?
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Default Re: All heads created equal?

I have LP Water Buffalo on my Valje's. They sound pretty good - mellow - not at all ringy. Probably a lot to do with the 32 year old Red Oak drums though.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    I have LP Water Buffalo on my Valje's. They sound pretty good - mellow - not at all ringy. Probably a lot to do with the 32 year old Red Oak drums though.
    I think it's a combination of the red oak and the Lp hand picks which are the best Lp skins on the market! Water buffalo sounds really good when you have a quality ones like the hand picks, loud slaps nice clean tones but their are some
    on the lower end congas that are questionable
    L4C

User Info Menu

The key to a good skin is consistency. By that I mean, the skin needs to be the same thickness in all places on the skin. The hand picked skins are much better quality because they are hand selected by someone at LP, where they can be inspected for consistency and defects. The lower end drums like the performers and aspires are a hit and miss. Usually they aren't worth diddly, but every now and then you can get a decent one.

LP hand picked used to be bleached cow, and they were much nicer skins. My biggest dislike of the water bufflo is not the sound, but the slick oily feel, I personally can't stand it. Cow/steer is where its at.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post

LP hand picked used to be bleached cow, and they were much nicer skins. My biggest dislike of the water bufflo is not the sound, but the slick oily feel, I personally can't stand it. Cow/steer is where its at.
    My LP buffalo are a consistant even thickness - nice - but I do know what you'er saying about the "oil." Mine do have that "oily-slick" feeling. I have to put bow rosin on the heads to get that whoooooo (owl-type sound) haha - they are slick!
    I've tucked them this year and they're just starting to sound really nice now(probably my tuning lol).
    Gary

User Info Menu

Cool Re: All heads created equal?

Hmmm...that might be the missing link to getting that hoot-owl sound on my congas...thanks for the "heads" up on that one, kona...

cheers, bro'...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Gretschhead;221130] The lower end drums like the performers and aspires are a hit and miss. Usually they aren't worth diddly, but every now and then you can get a decent one.
    I totally agree with you Gretschhead but these must be a hit! They sound sweet. They don't sound like performers, their an older set, the label has the M Cohen mark on it which the newer ones don't, not sure if that counts for anything. I didn't need anymore drums but I couldn't pass up a deal like this! Got them for really cheap and their mint. But as you can see in the first pic the difference between the two head they are hit and miss.
    L4C

User Info Menu

luv4congas,

I use the mule on my Matador quinto and have the original water buffalo on the Matador conga. I think I will call Theo and get the conga skinned with a mule also. The buffalo sounds great until one get's addicted to mule! I love the texture and sound of the mule. The water buffalo is so much more rough on my hands. I got a pretty good blister doing the clenched fist center drum bass thump over and over on a song. The mule slaps are hard to beat plus I just think the matching heads would look better appearance wise.

I am suiting the Matador bongos with the LP standard buffalo heads that come pre-made and ready to go.
    LP Matador Quinto and Conga w/stands and matching Matador Bongos.

"Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Hmmm...that might be the missing link to getting that hoot-owl sound on my congas...thanks for the "heads" up on that one, kona...

cheers, bro'...
    You're welcome there bongbro.
    A little hand drumming story of the person that taught me that:
    A great hand drummer, Mandido (Dido) Morris, told me about the violin rosin in 1981. I took a few private lessons from him at that time and he got me started off right - from the beginning. Dido settled in Vancouver BC Canada in 1980. He was a great hand drummer and played artists including Bruce ****burn (the sensor people took the first part of Bruces' name out ) and Gino Vannelli before moving to Vancouver. He played on Vannelli's Mid 70's Jist Of The Gemini . Saddly, Dido died in January of this year.
    Gary

User Info Menu

My LP buffalo are a consistant even thickness - nice - but I do know what you'er saying about the "oil." Mine do have that "oily-slick" feeling. I have to put bow rosin on the heads to get that whoooooo (owl-type sound) haha - they are slick!
    I've tucked them this year and they're just starting to sound really nice now(probably my tuning lol).
    That's cool kona how the vertical grain shows through the drum skins on your natural looking congas...

User Info Menu

Those drums look sweet Luv4congas!

How do they sound on that wood floor? Nice I'll bet.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BongoCajon View Post
    That's cool kona how the vertical grain shows through the drum skins on your natural looking congas...
    That wasn't the case when they had the original cowhide heads on the drums I'm pretty sure. I really started to notice it with the water buffalo's because they're kind of see-through a bit if you know what I mean.
    Gary

User Info Menu

[quote=luv4congas;221164]
    The lower end drums like the performers and aspires are a hit and miss. Usually they aren't worth diddly, but every now and then you can get a decent one.
    I totally agree with you Gretschhead but these must be a hit! They sound sweet. They don't sound like performers, their an older set, the label has the M Cohen mark on it which the newer ones don't, not sure if that counts for anything. I didn't need anymore drums but I couldn't pass up a deal like this! Got them for really cheap and their mint. But as you can see in the first pic the difference between the two head they are hit and miss.
    L4C
    It's interesting to note that 2002, when you say this drum was made, was the year that LP sold out to Kaman. It would not supprise me that anything made previous to the switch would have a higher quality skin on it. This may be the reason the newer (07) drum has a poor quality skin that won't tune right.

User Info Menu

[quote=Gretschhead;221321]
    Quote Originally Posted by luv4congas View Post

It's interesting to note that 2002, when you say this drum was made, was the year that LP sold out to Kaman. It would not supprise me that anything made previous to the switch would have a higher quality skin on it. This may be the reason the newer (07) drum has a poor quality skin that won't tune right.
    AND - Fender bought Kaman (three years ago?) too. I saw Fred Gretsch talk a little about that in a video made at a Gretsch's 125th (2007) Anniversary get-together.
    Gary

User Info Menu

luv4congas,

I use the mule on my Matador quinto and have the original water buffalo on the Matador conga. I think I will call Theo and get the conga skinned with a mule also. The buffalo sounds great until one get's addicted to mule! I love the texture and sound of the mule. The water buffalo is so much more rough on my hands. I got a pretty good blister doing the clenched fist center drum bass thump over and over on a song. The mule slaps are hard to beat plus I just think the matching heads would look better appearance wise.

I am suiting the Matador bongos with the LP standard buffalo heads that come pre-made and ready to go.
    I totally agree BC, mule is awesome cow and steer are too, I have even had cow that sounded better than mule and looked so much cleaner too but some water buffalo (mostly Lp hand picks) do not get the credit it deserves. I will admit my Gio’s came with a horrible set of hand picks which I have since removed from the quinto and soon the conga too. I have a mint set of Matadors that I will never change the heads on, the original water buffalo just sound to good!
    Kona, they do sound warm and dry on the wood floor.
    BTW Kona the Valje's are still looking good

User Info Menu

I have a mint set of Matadors that I will never change the heads on, the original water buffalo just sound to good!
    Do you think I should keep the buffalo on the conga or replace it with a mule like the quinto? It does sound warm but I am thinking the mule is greener on the other side. Tough decision.

User Info Menu

Do you think I should keep the buffalo on the conga or replace it with a mule like the quinto? It does sound warm but I am thinking the mule is greener on the other side. Tough decision.
    If the funds permit definitely go mule. Two mules are better than one

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

GOVERNMENT MULE?? haha
    Gary

User Info Menu

GOVERNMENT MULE?? haha
    100% Grade A

http://www.conceptlab.com/uci/2005fa...media/mule.jpg

User Info Menu

I will have to try the Mule heads some day. I've got new LP handpicks on the drums now.

Government Mule is a band - but you probably already knew that.
    Gary

User Info Menu

I didn't know Government Mule was a band--I thought you were making an American joke

User Info Menu

A great blues/southern rock band founded by Warren Haynes and Allen Woody from Allman Brothers. Haynes is a genius on the guitar and amazing vocals, if you like Allman Bros, check them out for sure!

User Info Menu

A great blues/southern rock band founded by Warren Haynes and Allen Woody from Allman Brothers. Haynes is a genius on the guitar and amazing vocals, if you like Allman Bros, check them out for sure!
    Yes - Great vocals on that guy........reminds me a little of Billy Gibbons of ZZTop maybe? Actually more like Dusty Hill the bass player.
    Last edited by kona; 08-20-2009 at 10:11 PM. Reason: corrections
    Gary

User Info Menu

Yes - Great vocals on that guy........reminds me a little of Billy Gibson of ZZTop maybe?
    He is very soulful, definitely has that Southern Rock ZZ Top sound. I just saw him with The Dead about a month ago, its not easy to fill the shoes of Jerry Garcia, but he did a darn good job.