Thread: after a new look

User Info Menu

Default after a new look

hey guys and girls, im after a new look with my kit . i had an idea of sanding and staining it , but the thing is i have a mapex m series in honey amber and it seems to have a lacquer over it ? is there any way to do this or will i be destroying it ? another reason y i want to do it is i want another floor tom and havong a very hard time trying to find 1 . cheers

User Info Menu

Default Re: after a new look

Unfortunately I can't help with the whole sanding and staining thing, but just thought I'd say...I have tyhe same kit as you I would never get bored of my finish! lol and I was lucky enough to find someone selling an extra floor tom in the exact size and finish I wanted, for a reasonably cheap price
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

While you are free to do whatever you want, seems like a lot to go through on a relatively new and good quality drum set. You will definitely be negatively impacting the value of the kit down the line.

Usually people re-finish beaters they find (like Kevin just did) or older kits that need it!

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

ThePloughman Guest

If you do this, it will create mental baggage that will haunt you for years.

User Info Menu

id suggest a shell wrap. they are very practical. easy to do, less expensive than with paints, stains, or sanding materials and processes, they restore the drum, protect it from potential threats to it, makes them easier to clean, and you can have any design on it that you choose or think of.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I'm with Ploughman, I wouldn't do it.

As for wraps, they will damage the underlying finish. One option is rockenwraps (you can google them). They sell wraps that simply float, so no tape or glue. Not sure if they vibrate much or not, but they would allow you temporarily change the look.

As for the Floor Tom, have you contacted Mapex or a Mapex dealer? The line is discontinued, but that doesn't mean there isn't anything out there still at the factory. You still see M Birch's and Pro M's that are brand new at stores being sold.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

whoa i never knew wraps damaged the finish! i used rocken but don't report any problems yet, although my brother has the modded drum.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Rocken wraps don't do anything. Typical wraps are taped or glued down and therefore there's adhesive on the finish. I guess the taped one's might be okay, but if you glue down a wrap, as is professionally done, I would think you can kiss the underlying finish goodbye.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

If you were to do it the right way, you'll have to take it down to bare wood, stain it with about 10 coats of color or paint it with a few coats, clear it, wet sand it, wet sand again with finer grit, wet sand more with a reallly fine grit and the buff it to a mirror finish. Just like doing a custom paint job on a car.

I dont know if I would go there unless you know what you're getting into.

http://bipolarbarbierocks.com

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Quit belly aching and just do it...no other way.
    - RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Quadcam79 View Post
    If you were to do it the right way, you'll have to take it down to bare wood, stain it with about 10 coats of color or paint it with a few coats, clear it, wet sand it, wet sand again with finer grit, wet sand more with a reallly fine grit and the buff it to a mirror finish. Just like doing a custom paint job on a car.

+1
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Quadcam79 View Post

well my old man is a spray painter by trade so he nows what he is doin , but not goin to do it , thanx for the in fo guys

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Chazbo View Post
    Unfortunately I can't help with the whole sanding and staining thing, but just thought I'd say...I have tyhe same kit as you I would never get bored of my finish! lol and I was lucky enough to find someone selling an extra floor tom in the exact size and finish I wanted, for a reasonably cheap price
    i really like the finish aswell but i really want another frloor tom and living in australia is very hard to find the same color and what not

User Info Menu

this thread gives me inspiration for another topic
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum