Thread: You don't have to play drums to have an embarrassing drumming moment!

User Info Menu

Talking You don't have to play drums to have an embarrassing drumming moment!

Has your drumming gotten you in an embarrassing situation--and you were nowhere near your drums?

It happened to me tonight! I was participating in our church's annual trivia night...and the last question in each round was a song question (they played an excerpt from a song and you had to identify the artist, title or both)...

As most drummers do, I started drumming on the tabletop...and I must have been rockin' so hard that my wife finally commented:

"Okay, Mr. Drummer, get it under control--we're NOT in church!"

Okay, buddies...I know it's happened to all of us!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Dunno if it counts but my consant table tapping really annoys my teachers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnysimmo
    Haha, that happened to me when I was in school. It annoyed my English teacher so much that she came out with this remark:

"Stuart! Stop that damn tapping. You're not a drummer!"

Which was followed quickly by:

"Well actually Miss, I AM!"

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnysimmo

same here. but my teachers call it smashing.
    Band: System of a Down
    Song: Atwa

Current: four way independence

User Info Menu

ya my friends are always telling me to shut up

be it, in the car, on the desk, on my pad, on my lap, legs, my friends head...
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

hehe.....one of the guitarists in my band recorded me practicing something about a year or so ago and I did'nt know it. A few practices ago, I was in a funk and just could'nt get out of it. He told me to listen to this tape of this guy he knew and it might help me. He started it and I'm sitting there listening to it wondering "who the heck is this? This guys sucks!" Had me going for a little while until I heard a part I recognized. A little embarrasing when you don't even recognize yourself and start saying "I can play better than that!"
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Yea, its just, when your aawy from your instrement, you jsut canbt take it, at least with me, so im always rapping and tapping on my tables, and stomping, like a bass, my teachers get sooooo mad at me, one tried to give me a detention, but once i showed up and tapped all through the detention, she let me go early

User Info Menu

sweet my drumming gets my in so much trouble in my english class to but she understood when i said that i was in the band turns out she was to its cool having teachers that were in the same marching band same with my 7th grade math teacher

User Info Menu

i love when i stick my sticks (haha) in my back pocket and forget they're their and walk around all day with them there, especially when its like 2 pair of sticks and some yarn mallets lol. thats always good and embarassing haha.
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

what about when they fall out and you dont even know it happens to me all the time and our quad player says i dont even feel anything and im like you just relized that she said im invulenrable to that but were great friends

User Info Menu

Cool You don't have to play drums to have an embarrassing drumming moment!

Well, it happened to me this afternoon!

My bongo-playing buddy (he of "Latin Night" fame) got married today, and I was at his wedding (and reception); when it came time to throw the garter, he was hesitating (either he was really jittery or he's a darn good actor!) as he started to throw the garter...one! two!...and he stopped.

I couldn't resist!

"I should have given you a drumroll!" I yelled.

He laughed; his lovely bride shook her head; and he threw the garter...

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Here ya go BB...

So anyway... my mother used to slap my hands all the time growing up. And now my wife reaches over and grabs them when I'm drumming and don't realize it. I think it's just all part of being a drummer. You don't know you're tapping half the time. It's just so ingrained in us to keep time... all the time!

User Info Menu

i love to air drum in music stores...... like cd stores. Or stores playing alright music. Always gotten me weird looks but i dont really care. I know what im doing :P Not embarrasing but some may think so :P

User Info Menu

My girlfriend and I have a little thing we say: we say BANG BANG, kinda like "bam bam" off the Flintstones, but only with drums.
    Well she said "Jake you're so BANG BANG..." and my best friend Dakota starts laughing, well my normal teenage brain automatically assumes he means something sexual (which he does). After that we keep that thing to ourselves.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash
    PDP Double bass Pedal, PDP throne.

User Info Menu

Hey! Dont Steal My Name!!!!
    =p

User Info Menu

LOL what are you talking about man?
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash
    PDP Double bass Pedal, PDP throne.

User Info Menu

Cool You don't have to play drums to have an embarrassing drumming moment!

One of our talk show hosts at our radio station celebrates his birthday on May 29th (this coming Tuesday), but his show airs on Friday mornings. He takes dance lessons as a hobby (and is quite a Latin dancer!)...he freaked out when he discovered I play bongos and congas)...

I bought him one of those musical Hallmark cards that plays music when you open it (in fact, the one that plays an excerpt from "Oye Como Va" by Santana since he digs cha-chas)...

BIG MISTAKE!!!

During the two-hour segment he shares with his (female) co-host, he tortured her with "Oye como va, peligro..." every five minutes...the dude was like a little kid with a new toy! At one point I took it away from him, but he snuck back to my desk and retrieved it when I wasn't look'n!

Next birthday, he's gett'n a musical card ONLY AFTER he's off the air--either that or a live concert from you know who ...
    Last edited by bongobro; 05-25-2007 at 10:28 PM.

Charlie