Thread: Snare drum?

User Info Menu

Default Snare drum?

OK, I'm new here, and very old - 61 yesterday! I'm very keen to get into drumming - maybe it'll help ward off the effects of Alzheimer's in the future lol...

My usual style with anything is the skip over the boring bits, pick up what interests me and skip over the rest. This obviously won't work with drumming, and I'm keen to learn from the ground up - finger control, the rudiments etc, step by step...

I would like to buy a high quality snare drum to begin with, and wonder if anyone has any suggestions about the best options for me at this stage - who makes the best snares etc, what sticks to start with... all that stuff.

I like rock primarily, and very much look forward to the challenge of starting something I've wanted to do for decades.

I'm in Australia by the way...

Any thoughts?

Jamie.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare drum?

Hey Jamie welcome to drumchat ! There are several "seasoned" guys here . Man let me tell you I have been snare shopping this past week and there are several for under $200 that are nice ! I have a 12x7 mapex black panther and it sounds killer ! Ludwig has one that is a dark wood color that looks sweet all maple i'll pm ya some info when I find it ! join us in the shout box for some good conversations and much info on drumming. I'd suggest finding a teacher so you can get grounded and then take off...... John
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Welcomes Jamie,

A fellow Aussie hey? Well, you'll find some of the price quotes guys talk about on here are a bit cheaper than reality for us, exchgange rates, and just generally being ripped off shouldn't be taken lightly. Anyway, that being said expect to pay from about $500+ for a decent sounding snare.

Peronsal taste plays a big part in drums, so head to a Billy Hyde or something and check out a few different snare types, as far as material (wood or metal) thicknes, hieght and depth. You may find you really love the booming sound of a deep 7" or maybe the crack of something shallower like a 5" snare. As far as brands, they all have their good side and bad side, but personally, I really enjoy Mapex, and Gretsch - if you can find them. Otherwise offerings from the big guys like Pearl, Tama and DW will always go well too - but again the best thing you can do is head into a store and try some out to start getting an idea for YOUR preferences.

Never base your opinions of recordings as a miced kit will always sound better than and recordings are often using triggers anyway - so the sound is recorded and mixed and compressed etc.... even listneing to a live band could be misleading, so only go form what YOU experience and play yourself.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Jamie. Kick off your shoes and stay awhile! It's a great bunch here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger View Post
    Welcomes Jamie,

A fellow Aussie hey? Well, you'll find some of the price quotes guys talk about on here are a bit cheaper than reality for us, exchgange rates, and just generally being ripped off shouldn't be taken lightly. Anyway, that being said expect to pay from about $500+ for a decent sounding snare.

Peronsal taste plays a big part in drums, so head to a Billy Hyde or something and check out a few different snare types, as far as material (wood or metal) thicknes, hieght and depth. You may find you really love the booming sound of a deep 7" or maybe the crack of something shallower like a 5" snare. As far as brands, they all have their good side and bad side, but personally, I really enjoy Mapex, and Gretsch - if you can find them. Otherwise offerings from the big guys like Pearl, Tama and DW will always go well too - but again the best thing you can do is head into a store and try some out to start getting an idea for YOUR preferences.

Never base your opinions of recordings as a miced kit will always sound better than and recordings are often using triggers anyway - so the sound is recorded and mixed and compressed etc.... even listneing to a live band could be misleading, so only go form what YOU experience and play yourself.

agreed+1 some good advice given in this post, couldent say anything more myself except the black panther is an awesome snare also!

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Jamie!

Jamie, I'm with you. I scratched that drumming itch when I turned 52 - a little over 2 years ago. Had the urge when I was a kid, but ended up going a different direction in life. At 52 I figured if not now, when? I have really enjoyed myself since! I agree that a drum teacher can help you avoid bad habits that will hold you back, so consider it seriously.

You've gotten some good thoughts on the snares, so I'll just address the sticks. This too is a matter of feel. It has to feel good in your hands, and chances are pretty good that you will go through periods of liking one stick size or another better. I would suggest that you start out with Vic Firth 5A sticks as this is a medium size stick (unless you are a monster rocker who wants to pound it out with a beefy 2B stick). The reason I suggest the Vic Firth sticks is that they have an American Flag on the stick that indicates the balance point of the stick, so it helps with hand placement when you first start.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Welcome!

My advice is go with something that is versatile and not trendy, I would stay away from what they are saying is hot right now. I would suggest looking at a 5x14 Ludwig Supraphonic. This a tried and true pro level drum. This was my first snare over 30 years ago and I still gig with it. You can find used ones for reasonable prices and you can always get your money back out of it.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Thanks for the welcome and great feedback guys (& girls... I'm sure there are a few out there!) I will definitely be looking for a good teacher - casual would suit me because I live close to Port Macquarie on the mid north coast of NSW. Any Aussies recommend a good teacher between here and Sydney - I travel to Sydney fairly regularly?

I guess I feel a bit self-conscious about drumming at my age, but this site looks great and the comments have been positive! You're all so nice to each other!!!

I think I'll feel very comfortable here, so thanks again!

Jamie.

User Info Menu

good to see ya again mate
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Welcome to DrumChat! There's no need to feel self conscious. Everyone was a beginner at some point. The most important thing is that you have fun, otherwise, what's the point? You stumbled into an awesome group of people who are more than willing to give advice and suggestions. There's not much else I can add that hasn't already been said other than happy late b-day!
    -Reuben

SABIAN SQUAD
    ^^^SGD'S EVANS EMPIRE^^^
    RIP Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Stuart View Post
    I guess I feel a bit self-conscious about drumming at my age,
    Jaime, my drum teacher's parents were in town today, so she introduced them to me. Her dad wanted to know why a pastor would be learning drumming (and I'm sure he thought "at your age"). I told him, "Because I could." There is no age limitation on learning, and the subject of what we learn is as open as our own interests. Have fun!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I second the black panther, from what I've heard a fantastic snare for the price. It sounds to me like maple is more your style, so that's what I would look into if I were you.

User Info Menu

Thanks again guys. Cole1paul I'm looking at a Mapex Black Panther 14 x 5.5 snare atm, maple shell - black looks killer. I had a look and listen to the snares on the Mapex site and really like the sound of that. I didn't realise there are so many different shells available! What are the differences between all the metal shells and the wood ones, other than sound?

They're a bit pricey here in Oz, but like most things I guess, you get what you pay for, and at the end of the day I want to feel satisfied with what I'm playing with...

Sound OK so far?

Jamie.

User Info Menu

Welcome Jamie,

I'm 62 and picked up the sticks again about 4 years ago after about a 40 year break. Two years ago, I got a drum set and have been having a ball working to get back some of the skills that I use to have. If you are serious then I agree with getting a teacher to get you started. As for snares, aim for the highest quality that you can afford. Quality is more important than which brand to buy as several makers have good quality snares. Try several out if you can and buy the one you like.

User Info Menu

hey welcome to the place that is drumchat. far as quality goes, ive always wanted to try a GMS special edition snare in 6.5x14
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Tons of great advice here already(like usual)

I'll just say welcome to DC!!!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Thanks again for the welcome guys! I really appreciate your comments and advice, been busy this week but will be back into it this weekend...

Cheers, Jamie.

User Info Menu

Welcome to drums and Drum Chat Jamie ..........any name brand snare will do you good as all the above replies have stated ,but you may also want to invest in the practice pad too so Mrs . S wont kick you and the drums out back to the wood shed.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Ha - I live on 100 forested acres and no neighbours within earshot (I breed macaws) and I have a shed about 50 metres away from the house... I'm also at home during the day while Deb is at work...

I think I've got the practice noise problem sewn up lol!

Jamie.