Thread: AC/DC guitar

User Info Menu

Default AC/DC guitar

My friend says that AC/DC has some pretty simple stuff for guitar. since I'm just learning how to play could anyone tell me if this is true? It seems hard.
    Band: System of a Down
    Song: Atwa

Current: four way independence

User Info Menu

Some of it is simple, like Highway to hell, but other stuff is awfully hard, like i know a guitarist who says hells bells is awfully hard, because you have to change and hit really fast

User Info Menu

Hey HEY! Keep it G-rated! :p

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

lol ahah

ya i started doing some acdc when i first started guitar, its fairly easy, but of course the first song i chose to learn was closer to the heart by Rush lol
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

AC/DC stuff is among the easyer Rock to master. Malcolm likes to use open chords and most of their songs are in A or D, so you don't have to struggle with as many bar chords. As far as Angus' solos, learning how to play with vibrato is the real trick. This is just a matter of paractice. Just about all of his improv work stays inside the pentatonic "box" so once you learn those simple scale patterns playing his solo's are also comparatively easy. As far as his sound, he actually uses very little distortion. My understanding is that he plugs hid SG straight into his Marshall with a channel for clean and one for dirty. No reverb, no delay, no flange, no chorous, no noth'n.

I don't have a way to draw you a scale pattern, but I think I can describe one for you to start out with. Lay your fingers across the fret board (anywhere) with each of your fingers covering one fret position. Your index is #1, middle #2, ring #3, pinky #4.

Here's the pattern:
    Low E (big string at the top) play 1 & 4
    A (next string down) play 1 & 3
    D (next string down) play 1 & 3
    G (next string down) play 1 & 3
    B (next string down) play 1 & 4
    E (little string at the bottom) play 1 & 4

Moving your hands up and down the neck will change the key, but the pattern remains the same. If you're not tone deaf, you can find the right spot and jam with any blues and many rock songs. Learn to bend the strings and mix up the pattern a bit and it'll start to sound musical.

User Info Menu

sometimes i think u forget that we are drummers RD

cuz you know none of us will understand that!
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

You will if you lay your hand across a guitar fret board (the part with the wires on it), number your fingers 1-4 and follow the directions step by step. You'll get a kick at how cool it sounds just to run up and down that pattern. If you (not you personally, Amp) are tone def, then forget it. Please do us all a favor and never touch a guitar.

User Info Menu

Did I kill this thread, or what?

User Info Menu

lol
    Band: System of a Down
    Song: Atwa

Current: four way independence

User Info Menu

That scale is exactly the same as the blues scale... are they one and the same RD?

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

I've wailed on a few axes in my time. That is the very first scale (and power chord) progression that most guitar teachers will have you doing. I think I learned pentatonic scales and moxolidian scales after that. Can't remember that far back anymore.

Oh, and yes, if you are tone deaf, please make drums your only instrument.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Yeah, its the first scale I learnt when I used to play guitar too. I guess its because it's so simple to remember...

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hellsbells58
    That scale is exactly the same as the blues scale... are they one and the same RD?

HB58
    Yep, also called the blues scale. It's easy and I think it's a good motivator for guys starting out with improv. There's so much you can do with it. Check out Ace Frehley's solo on "Love Gun". Almost the entire solo falls within this pentatonic box (i.e. there's very little wrist movement).