Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: playing and singing

User Info Menu

Default Re: playing and singing

Quote Originally Posted by amputechture View Post
    lol its hard for us to get a mic in a good position to me without me wacking it over when im playing or me having to lean just to reach it

our stand isnt very versatile
    Headset mic, works great.

User Info Menu

I just bought a Shure WH20 XLR headset mic, and I'm loving it. I also bought an in line on/off switch, in case I need it. I sing either backing harmonies, or an occasional lead, so I don't turn it off much, though.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I sang lead on a few songs and harmony on most of the others in my first band many years ago. With practice, I got to the point where I could be doing both and not have to concentrate on either. In the band I recently joined, I started singing as well, mostly harmonies, which I love, but also a couple of leads. I'm not yet as comfortable as I was before, but it's getting better with practice. I never used a headset mic, though I've considered it. I use a mic on a stand with a boom and a gooseneck, so I can place it behind me and have the mic directly in front of me so it doesn't get in the way of my sticks. I still swing it out of the way on songs I don't sing on at all.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

I used a Shure headset for years, I wasn't doing much lead vocal, mostly harmony. Since taking on a lot of lead vocal on songs I've ditched the headset for a boom/goose neck combination and an sm57. It works really well for me. Vocals can be more expressive and the mic doesn't pick up much of the drum and cymbal sounds.

I know it looks like I am eating the mic here, but it's just the angle the photo was taken at

User Info Menu

I've never been able to sing and play at the same time. Just as well as I can't sing very well anyway.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Linchpin View Post
    I used a Shure headset for years, I wasn't doing much lead vocal, mostly harmony. Since taking on a lot of lead vocal on songs I've ditched the headset for a boom/goose neck combination and an sm57. It works really well for me. Vocals can be more expressive and the mic doesn't pick up much of the drum and cymbal sounds.

I know it looks like I am eating the mic here, but it's just the angle the photo was taken at

I was doing boom and gooseneck over the head for a while, but I really didn't like the mic in my vision, and I didn't like not being able to turn my head while I was singing. I guess I just like being able to move a little more. That's my reason for going with the headset mic.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Don't give me the mic whilst I'm on my drums.....I'd just go into joke telling mode whilst playing!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Don't give me the mic whilst I'm on my drums.....I'd just go into joke telling mode whilst playing!
    That's what I do all through our practices. I like to keep things fun.

User Info Menu

I do backing vox in our band. A headset mic really helps.
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.

User Info Menu

i just boom the mic in from the left side. i sing harmony in most every song and do a few leads.... it just takes practice

User Info Menu

I love playing the drums and singing at the same time. I am in a music program called Listen Up! Music, it is a program apart of Creative Trails, in Portland, ME. I am in two bands from the program, one called The Ruby Tuesdays and the other band is The Sabotaging Cars. Me being the olny girl in both bands have many talents, but the one thing that strikes me in music is the drums. I love the drums and i've been play sense I was a litte girl, started out banging on pots and pans, then working my way up to professional drums. I did start in my music career with singing and i've started that when I was in middle school, not before the drums, the drums came first in my music career. Now ever sense that i've been in Listen Up! Music and The Ruby Tuesdays, I can do both singing and playing the drum at the same time, because The Ruby Tuesdays is the band that i've been in the longest, then the band The Sabotaging cars, that I haven't been with for so long. You all ever in the State of Maine and want to see me live for a show, just check out both The Ruby Tuesdays and The Sabotaging cars on Facebook for upcoming shows and gigs, then don't forget to like the bands page as you check it out on Facebook. Thank you, - Kaley Willette of Listen Up! Music's, The Ruby Tuesdays and The Sabotaging Cars. :girl

User Info Menu

Listen Up! Music's, The Ruby Tuesdays and The Sabotaging Cars, rocks. Check out The Ruby Tuesdays and The Sabotaging cars on Facebook.
    Thank you, - Kaley Willette of Listen Up! Music's, The Ruby Tuesdays and The Sabotaging Cars.

User Info Menu

Does mucking around with a vocoder with my MicroKorg count? Did that at a recent rehearsal for a bit of a laugh. Straightaway everyone's going "Daft Punk! Daft Punk!" lol.

User Info Menu

I will be attempting to sing back up while playing.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

I sing a bunch of lead and background vocals when I play... now if only someone let me use a microphone

User Info Menu

I can sing....just not while playing for some dumb reason..not sure why..just wasn't in the cards I got dealt.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

I sing one song and will be doing so tonight in front of the biggest crowd I have ever played in front of (YIKES) The song is "It dont come easy" by Ringo. typical...LOL

The hardest part for me is making sure I am breathing correctly, sometimes the 1st verse catches me off guard and I am straining to finish the words with no air left in the lungs..LOL

Ya have to have a good monitor too because the worse thing is to sing and not be able to hear yourself over the drums..I hate that..

I dont think I am really any good at it but everyone tells me it's good and the band wants me to sing more songs but I am fighting it hard.. I gotta enough to do already!
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

In the current project "silver coyote band"
    i sing backround vocals on nearly everyt tune,,
    since its not my gig (im paid to make him best he can be)
    i sing lead on about 10 songs a nite,,,on current set list)

i do leads on over 1,000 songs but now,,,
    when callede to duty ,,,"i hop"...

I used shure sm57 & boom for years...
    Recently went to "sampson 88 wireless headset"
    love da freedom & no longer have to complain
    about my cheapo "audio technia headset,phantom power, or mic cords!!"
    of course runnin thru a bose personal performance system
    (run roland kit thru there as well) really sounds phhroggetastic!!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

still struggling to lead sing while playing..for now i only do back up vocals
    got my inspiration from a friend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok67VO9mP48
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok67VO9mP48
    Entry-level Mapex kit
    Entry-level Meinl cymbals
    Mid-level Drumming skills

User Info Menu

I do backing vocals while playing. Love to sing!
    TEARL

www.BreakingSilenceCO.com

I play PDP (X-7 Maple) and Sabian Xs...mostly because I'm not rich

User Info Menu

How Brann Dailor from Mastodon does it on a song like "Dry Bone Valley", especially live, is pretty awesome. Have a look at some YouTube videos, even if you don't like heavy music, you got to admit that guy's got some coordination to pull off lead and backing vocals on top of the fills that he's doing. Kudos to him, for sure.

User Info Menu

The only time I've done it was in a cover band and all it was... was shouting words like Bullets! for Dokken's Bullets To Spare song. i like having a mic though actually.
    Last edited by slinky; 10-29-2013 at 07:22 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Linchpin View Post

ahhh the truth behold. Tama drums and Pearl snare. You blew your cover Linch
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I love to sing and play at the same time, I've done it on a few songs with my old band.

www.youtube.com/hellwyck
    check out two songs there

User Info Menu

The best way in my opinion is the boom stand next to your head. When you turn left, you can sing, and if you don't, you can't. This way the audience won't hear your mumbling/breath during breaks and it looks better imho :p
    copy and Paiste