Thread: Tuning Question...

User Info Menu

Default Tuning Question...

Ok, I finally have the bongos suited up and in with the congas.
    Is there any tips in tuning these four drum heads so they sound blended and compliment one another in tones?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BongoCajon; 08-13-2009 at 08:08 AM.
    LP Matador Quinto and Conga w/stands and matching Matador Bongos.

"Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning."

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tuning Question...

I personally have my congo's tuned close and the bongo's tuned high enough to get a good high pitched pop out of the smaller one and then I tune the bigger bongo to sound close. I have only been messing with tunuing hand drums for a couple of months and am not too sure about how to do it but this method has satisfied me enough to keep using it. If you find a great method for cutting through the confusion let me know. I like the username fumbled time don't really want to change it to fumbled tune. F/T

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BongoCajon View Post
    Ok, I finally have the bongos suited up and in with the congas.
    Is there any tips in tuning these four drum heads so they sound blended and compliment one another in tones?

Man! I sure like bongos with the traditional rims, their so much easier on your legs when you play sitting, they look good and a bet they sound good BC. The worst thing they could have ever done to a bongo was put a comfort curve rim on them, the big comfort curve rims might be easy on the hands but the bottom edge can really put a hurting on your legs!
    ........I'm not sure if you can totally blend congas and bongos, I'm no pro but they do sound really good as a "fill in" with congas.
    L4C

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by luv4congas View Post
    Man! I sure like bongos with the traditional rims, their so much easier on your legs when you play sitting, they look good and a bet they sound good BC. The worst thing they could have ever done to a bongo was put a comfort curve rim on them, the big comfort curve rims might be easy on the hands but the bottom edge can really put a hurting on your legs!
    ........I'm not sure if you can totally blend congas and bongos, I'm no pro but they do sound really good as a "fill in" with congas.
    L4C
    Thank you luv4congas. The skins on the bongas are new therefore I am searching for the sweet spot...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fumbled time View Post
    I personally have my congo's tuned close and the bongo's tuned high enough to get a good high pitched pop out of the smaller one and then I tune the bigger bongo to sound close. I have only been messing with tunuing hand drums for a couple of months and am not too sure about how to do it but this method has satisfied me enough to keep using it. If you find a great method for cutting through the confusion let me know. I like the username fumbled time don't really want to change it to fumbled tune. F/T
    I'll do some more fumbling around...

I will try your approach and see how it works ft...thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by leedy2 View Post
    Hi bongocajon
    how are you I have one question on your set up. I am in process of writing major comments on way people play today and yester years .what kind of music do you play regular, and do you use bongos when playing and how offen.are you using as sound affect? thank for that info
    Hi leedy,

I play along to CDs. I play too Santana, Poncho Sanchez and other Latin Jazz music. The bongos just received heads so they are new to the set up. I have no sound effects. Take care leedy...

How about you?