Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remove 2nd Rack Tom?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default Remove 2nd Rack Tom?

Why do i see a lot of people either removing their second rack tom or just using one rack tom? Do they find its in the way or out of reach or a better place for their ride cymbal? I'd really like to know.

Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Remove 2nd Rack Tom?

Mostly because its in style right now.

User Info Menu

what do you mean by that? U mean people do that just because it looks good or something?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Mostly because its in style right now.
    Couldn't agree more! Drums seem to me more prone to popular trends like 4 piece kits and concert toms and power (square sized) toms over the years. I don't ever see much trend changes in other instruments like guitars etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xxkmanxx View Post
    Why do i see a lot of people either removing their second rack tom or just using one rack tom? Do they find its in the way or out of reach or a better place for their ride cymbal? I'd really like to know.

Thanks
    4pc set-ups are quite fun to play. I sometimes do it and I love having the right cymbal over its place
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xxkmanxx View Post

Thanks
    I have been thinking the same thing ?? So I had to try it...it's fine but it sure ain't my fav ! I really think it has alot to do with logistics and drummers are LAZY !!
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

I don't think it's just a fad. Drummers have been playing 4 pc kits longer than big kits.

For me it was something to try for different tom and ride placement. I originally started by trying my toms offset so they closer to the snare for easier reach. I definitely liked where the toms were.

Then the bassist wanted me to move in the rehearsal space so the room could be used more otherwise. We only leave the drums out. Because of where I was moved to it was easier to just use a 4 piece. So I just removed the 10" tom.

One advantage of doing this was to move the 1 tom of the kick. In my case this made it much easier to get the tom in a good position since I have deeper drums compared to most. Not having anything on the kick made that easier to move around as well. And also, as you mentioned, it allowed me to move the ride over the kick, which was helpful since I've been having weird shoulder problems. It also brings the FT closer in, so the whole kit is easier to reach. One guitarist in my band even sat down and found it easier to go around the kit. I do miss having the 2nd tom in terms of playing b/c I've been used to it for so long. However I like the challenge.

All in all I can say it's been fun, interesting, and challenging playing on different configs after 22 years of playing the set as a 5 or 6 piece (mostly 5). I really liked the offset 5 piece as the toms were easier to get to. I like the 4 piece, but I still haven't adjusted. I think I'm going to go 1 up 2 down if I get this other tom I'm interested in.

I think part of it is just trying new things, especially when you've owned the same kit for 23 years like me. In the end, I don't know what set up I'll stick with.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

ThePloughman Guest

I started on a four piece 35 years ago.

User Info Menu

well heres one explanation...

Whenever my friend buys a new kit, he uses the second rack tom as a erm...smoking device. A water pipe also commonly known as a bong. And he never puts it back on the kit.

User Info Menu

I never really used my 13" tom that much before, then I took it off to try out a 4 piece, and I LOVE it. I don't really know what it is, it just forces you to be more creative, and great cymbal placment too!

User Info Menu

If you pay attention to your playing, you'll see a majority of it should take place on a '4 piece' kit within a larger kit. More toms can cause you to do a lot of large Neil Peart running fills if you are not careful. Too many large tom fills and your drumming starts to sound dated and can annoy the other musicians. A four piece focuses your chops away from all those tom runs and forces you to tighten up your drumming. Today's big names with large kits -Carter, Portnoy, seem to effectively avoid the big tom runs

Still, I love a big kit. I have found somewhat of a compromise; my kit is set up like a 4-piece with three high toms to the left. I try to use those toms in the context of a beat, and only occasionaly on the big Peart run down the toms. I am currently thinking of removing one of those toms as well.

And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

ThePloughman Guest

If you look at the set ups of many great players, even ones with a lot of drums..... its built on a 4 piece. Peart is one. So is Charlie Adams. Both play big kits, and both have a basic 4 piece plainly visible in that monstrous set up. Anyhoo, just a thought....... I spy with my own eye, .......... A Vintage..... Rogers Powertone snare drum in a custom finish.

[
    Last edited by ThePloughman; 08-16-2009 at 01:08 AM.

User Info Menu

Because it's fashionable and limiting your technical / creative ability is so hot right now.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Thumbs down Re: Remove 2nd Rack Tom?

Quote Originally Posted by Ethel_The_Frog View Post
    Because it's fashionable and limiting your technical / creative ability is so hot right now.
    That is sort of a disrespectful thing to say. Drumming is all about preferences and if someone wants to play a four piece than go for it. To equate that choice with limiting technical/creative ability is nonsense. Coming from someone with normally intelligent posts ETF...I am disappointed indeed.

User Info Menu

So are you trying to say that having less drums limits your technical and creative ability? That's quite a statement considering who played 4 piece kits, no?

Maybe this is sarcasm and I missed it?

As stated above (can't quote his name), having a lot of drums to do big runs of fills is neither creative or technically difficult. Of course there are people that use their full kit without doing this (even people on DC), and use it creatively. But I don't think you can say that it's less creative to use a smaller kit.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

I'm definitely not ready to remove my second tom yet, but I've noticed that as I improve I start using it less.

User Info Menu

Well, I'm not the kind of guy who would diminish his set, but 4 piece sets are quite fun to play.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

My first set (which is my current set) had 1 up 1 down, so I've built my drumming around that configuration. I do something that Levon Helm does, which is put a cowbell in the place of that second rack tom.

I'd say that whatever works, works and that there isn't any kind of right or wrong way to go about things. Do whatever you want regarding your setup.

User Info Menu

Much as I love that big 7 piece, I think we drummers all have to come to a painful admission:

Yesterday at worship, I switched that monster kit out with my little Cat Club 4-piece. NO ONE REALLY NOTICED!!! I asked around to see if anyone noticed a difference; the typical reaction was, 'Oh, you switched kits? I didn't notice.' Even most of the OTHER MUSICIANS didn't notice. The only reaction was from the sound guy, who said he missed the 'crisp high end' from the other kit.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

i like watching portnoy with his beatles group. he plays the crap out of a 4 piece
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

I do it because it looks cool. Not even going to front.

User Info Menu

its easier to move to gigs (not as easy as my 2 piece right now is though lol)
    and makes you focus on creativity more since you have less to work with
    http://myspace.com/htsamurai
    ^i play everything you hear yo

Zildj 20" A Ping Ride
    Zildj 14" Quick Beat top
    Zildj 14" ZBT bottom
    20" pulse bass (coated emperor)
    Pearl steel piccollo 14x3 (genera)
    DW 5k single

User Info Menu

the cool thing about it is easy ride cymbal and hi hat access, so everythings real reachable. i generally try to leave a space open for the ride and the hi hat stand to come real close, that way theres no straining or body aches as the time goes on.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Thank You Sott and Back2drum.

User Info Menu

It is a fad going on right now for sure, but with any fad there's always people that would do it that way even if it wasn't a fad.

I'd personally prefer to have an even number of toms, being two up and two down. If I had a 5-piece I'd definitely offset the rack toms if I kept both of them (I'd take the 13" off if that was the set-up). It has nothing to do with creativity or limits. I just find having two or four toms more natural than having three.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47