Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leigh's Kompoz Jams

User Info Menu

Smile Leigh's Kompoz Jams

I'm currently been collaborating with other artists online. Here are some of my ideas (official and unofficial).

- Leigh

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Who Knows (Kompoz Project: 1251)

Here's the latest one...with a slightly different camera angle (and more of my purple beanie)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awG1wNOhukM"]YouTube - 'Who Knows' (Kompoz Project: 1251) - Test Drum Track[/ame]

small stumbles here and there...

the right crash goes wonky every now and then (a signal is when it goes more sensitive than set)....and the ride keeps giving me a bell sound (even if I'm not hitting the bell area of the cymbal).

but the snare hit doubling up has been fixed (settings tweak)...

Additional links are on the page...so I highly recommend you to right click (or left click if your a 'lefty!) on the video and select: 'watch on youtube'.
    Last edited by l_e_i_g_h; 08-15-2009 at 07:09 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Leigh's Kompoz Jams

Very smooth piece , thanks for sharing it .
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

I clicked through to the actual piano and bass only track. I love this tune! Very syncopated with the bass countering the piano lines. Makes for an interesting groove but you have to be "extremely" careful playing over it because if you miss just one upbeat, you've ruined the flow of the song.

My advice for you would be to transcribe the the piano line rhythmically so that you can read it while you play along. This way you'll never miss any of the upbeats. Once you've done this a hundred times, you'll be able to play it more smoothly because you'll never miss the kicks.

I also can't see a tune like this performed on anything but an acoustic set. You need all the subtleties you can conjure up for a jazz tune like this. In my opinion, this is where electronics fall short.

Great find. Thanks for sharing!

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Tom's Feedback

Hi Tom,

Appreciate you taking the time to give feedback.

- Leigh

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I clicked through to the actual piano and bass only track. I love this tune! Very syncopated with the bass countering the piano lines. Makes for an interesting groove but you have to be "extremely" careful playing over it because if you miss just one upbeat, you've ruined the flow of the song.

My advice for you would be to transcribe the the piano line rhythmically so that you can read it while you play along. This way you'll never miss any of the upbeats. Once you've done this a hundred times, you'll be able to play it more smoothly because you'll never miss the kicks.

I also can't see a tune like this performed on anything but an acoustic set. You need all the subtleties you can conjure up for a jazz tune like this. In my opinion, this is where electronics fall short.

Great find. Thanks for sharing!

Larrysperf Guest

IMHO I thought you did a great job. And I thought it sounded very good with ekit and all, Making music is music simple

User Info Menu

Talking Whatever You Think

This is a bit less solo-ey than the previous one I posted:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmMkUn6iaWo"]YouTube - Test Drum Track for 'Whatever You Think' (Kompoz Project: 7934)[/ame]

There definetely is a take two (or three) in the horizon! I'm also keen to experiment more about panning the kit (in the mix) with relation to the camera angle I'm using.

Larrysperf Guest

Truth, I really really enjoyed that last one very smooth Please keep them coming

User Info Menu

Talking Vote...Vote?

Glad you like 'em Larry!

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    Truth, I really really enjoyed that last one very smooth Please keep them coming

User Info Menu

Leigh, I just saw this thread, and I really enjoyed your efforts, especially the most recent piece, but then that could simply be because I am in a mellow mood this morning.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Leigh - you definitely deserve credit for collaborating online. That is part of the future of our art. Sure, the live aspect of playing together will always be important. But let's not forget new and exciting avenues like this!

Good job.
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

User Info Menu

Lightbulb Our Little Piece of Earth

Scott,

An exciting avenue indeed!

...I am looking forward to the day I get a similar message on my email:

Hi Leigh,

Really liked what you were doing in that previous track you sent me. Any chance you are free for the next two weeks? I've spoken with Rene (Keys) and Shona (Trumpet) about arranging some time to hang out and Jam, and if we come up with something that we're all happy with, we can just hit record anytime, and compile that as a Demo. We'll be staying at Shona and Ray's place, which is right next to the studio.

Also...if we have enough time, my friend Bruno said that he'll be happy to have us play in his cafe (no need to cart your kit from the studio, since he has gear that is of something similar to what you like playing on...and MORE!)

Oh...did I mention that you don't have to bring anything? Any gear you need would be arranged, and I've arranged a similar set-up to the one you need.

As for online tickets for connecting flights from Sydney to Les Eplatures. Just email John (I've attached his contact details) when you can get away, and he'll try to get you either First class or business class seats.

Best Regards,
    Nic

P.S. I also have a new bass that I am keen to use! I'll show you once you arrive in the studio!

hehehe....

DISCLAIMER: The Letter above (in Brown) is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents either are the product of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual people living or dead, business, companies, events or locales is entirely coincidental.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie_Guns View Post
    Leigh - you definitely deserve credit for collaborating online. That is part of the future of our art. Sure, the live aspect of playing together will always be important. But let's not forget new and exciting avenues like this!

Good job.
    Last edited by l_e_i_g_h; 08-29-2009 at 06:13 AM.

User Info Menu

Leigh, I love this stuff, I think you did a fine job!!!!

User Info Menu

Default Ww...

Dan,

Thanks for checking 'em out!

- Leigh

Quote Originally Posted by zzzdanz View Post
    Leigh, I love this stuff, I think you did a fine job!!!!

User Info Menu

Default Col De Turini

Here's another older one.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGfK7YZNES8"]YouTube - Test Drum Track for 'Col De Turini' (Kompoz Project: 7755)[/ame]

You may notice that the snare sound hasn't been set-up properly (there's a bit of re-triggering happening)...so it sounds like I'm doing a flam on most snare single hits.

But that's been fixed now...good thing it was...because I would have likely gone with one of those pintech snares.

User Info Menu

Those sound very nice.

I really enjoyed watching and thanks for the visuals, as well.

If I haven't said so already, welcome to Drum Chat.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Default #589 - The Welcome

Appreciate the Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Those sound very nice.

I really enjoyed watching and thanks for the visuals, as well.

If I haven't said so already, welcome to Drum Chat.

User Info Menu

Im catching up on videos I havent had time to watch and the last 2 you posted here were also very good . The 2 nd vid was my favorite .
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Cool #2 Kompoz

Hi GF!

Glad you like the second one! *curteseys*

I'm looking to make more once I've changed the mesh heads to the more silent ones (like the ones from the RT).

- Leigh

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    Im catching up on videos I havent had time to watch and the last 2 you posted here were also very good . The 2 nd vid was my favorite .

User Info Menu

ive so far seen only the first video, but it was powerful
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Default CDT Test Track 2

Still not Kompoz worthy (some parts were off --- not to mention LOSING the kick sound towards the end)

And if you have the sound turned up...you might notice that the hi-hats sound open....They are! I wasn't able to connect the hi-hat controller yet

the sound (music mix) is all wonky too! :(

at one point someone (off-screen) to my right was asking me something and also attempting to hit the 14" tom (thankfully the hands didn't come into the frame!).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCzQntoyOA8"]YouTube- 'Col De Turini' (Kompoz Project: 7755) - 2nd Test Track[/ame]

ahhh....well...live and learn.
    Last edited by l_e_i_g_h; 11-23-2009 at 03:41 AM.

Larrysperf Guest

Thats what Im talkin about good old music . Not to fast not to slow but really enjoyable to watch and listen to. I really really enjoyed that last video. Very very nice, for the troubles you had. I really like your playing. Thanks for posting

User Info Menu

Default CDT Take 2 Feedback....

Thanks Larry!

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    Thats what Im talkin about good old music . Not to fast not to slow but really enjoyable to watch and listen to. I really really enjoyed that last video. Very very nice, for the troubles you had. I really like your playing. Thanks for posting

User Info Menu

Cool Never too late!

Yo Russ...

I realised I haven't replied to you yet.

Thanks for watching.

Now to make time...to make more.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    ive so far seen only the first video, but it was powerful

User Info Menu

Default Re: CDT Test Track 2

Quote Originally Posted by l_e_i_g_h View Post
    Still not Kompoz worthy (some parts were off --- not to mention LOSING the kick sound towards the end)

And if you have the sound turned up...you might notice that the hi-hats sound open....They are! I wasn't able to connect the hi-hat controller yet

the sound (music mix) is all wonky too! :(

at one point someone (off-screen) to my right was asking me something and also attempting to hit the 14" tom (thankfully the hands didn't come into the frame!).

YouTube- 'Col De Turini' (Kompoz Project: 7755) - 2nd Test Track

ahhh....well...live and learn.
    Really liked this one leigh, keep it up! Can't wait for the rest of your stuff.
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave