Thread: dotted notes

User Info Menu

Red face dotted notes

hey sup guys n gals--

so i may have a dumb question here, but everything i see when i read drum music says when there's a dot after a note it means extend that note by so much---

so my question is, do you hit the drum again rite after like a flam or just let the drum ring? i hope that makes sense

thanks!

User Info Menu

just rest as if it were being held
    (dotted quarter note, hit once and rest for the rest of the beat and a half)
    so yeah...let it ring...
    The egg approves!

User Info Menu

Talking

thanks eggman! koo koo ka choo

User Info Menu

The dotted note means extend whatever the note value is by half of its value. It gets complex with smaller subdivisions (16ths, 32nds etc). But basically, if you have a dotted 8th note, you would have to hold it for 3 . 16th notes (1e+) and play your next note on a, if there was one written there.

Simple when you have learnt it, seems more complex at the beginning though.

Hope that clears that up for you,
    HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

with like dotted 8th notes instead of playing 1 and 2 and 3 and ect like a regular 8th note u play 8 ah 2 ah 3 ect, pretty much your hitting the ah instead of the and in the 1 e and ah 2 e and ah ..... you can think of it almost like a gallop when you play it.

User Info Menu

rite on sounds good so when i see a dotted note on the bass in the music staff ill only hit it once rite? thats what i thot but the last post on here sounds like i should hit it twice...like a gallop, which i guess is my question..

i understand when im playing my bass, i just hold the note longer, but how do you hold a note deliberatly on a drum? im gonna try to find some audio examples somewhere so if anyone knows any good ones...

thanks for all the help tho guys

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lildrummerboi
    i understand when im playing my bass, i just hold the note longer, but how do you hold a note deliberatly on a drum?
    In most cases you don't. You just hit the drum and wait the extra time as if the drum is still ringing. The only exception to that would be with cymbals where you let them ring and then cut them off at the end of the dotted note length of time.

User Info Menu

So, how do you slur notes?

User Info Menu

ok rite on drummer thanx man you cleared me up!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris
    have you ever played really drunk?

User Info Menu

Yep... It's hell, I lose all my co-ordination and dexterity. And playing quick double bass is impossible.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Cool dotted notes

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris
    That happens when you break your stick (or for a hand drummer, when you miss the drum and hit somethin' else--if you're not careful, it can be mighty painful)...

Although if you're doin' some note-bending, you could slur it that way...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck