Thread: amp with e-kit, can we DO THAT?

User Info Menu

Default amp with e-kit, can we DO THAT?

ok, i have been using my simmons sd7k (and before that, a yam. dd55) with headphones.... that is ok (and make sthe MRS! happy), but i'm wondering if we can use a amp with these things...?

i'm new to this, have NO idea what a good amp or BAD amp might be (except seeing M. J. Fox in BACK to the future getting BLOW againts a wall by a good, but BAD amp!) and really have NO CLUE what to look for...

i WILL buy used, so... will any old amp do (like ones used for e-guitars)? or do i ahve to look for something "drum specific"...

?

thanks...

User Info Menu

Default Re: amp with e-kit, can we DO THAT?

I think you need a keyboard amp, but not really sure.

User Info Menu

Primemover, I have run an e-kit through a guitar amp, but a keyboard amp is a lot better.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

great! i'm glad i asked.... would not even THOUGHT that there were amps for diff. instruments!

thanks...

User Info Menu

I would suggest a good keyboard amp with at least a 12" a 15" works better ! If you want something that can be used for drums at small venues a system like the B-52 Matrix fit the bill !

Crate KXB 100

B-52

E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

bah. get a yorkville 100watt keyboard amp
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Where are you located? I know someone with an amp for sale cheap.

User Info Menu

As mentioned previously, what exactly are you looking to do with the amplification your asking about. No sense in getting crazy if your just wanting to hear yourself practice at home.

Several companies make dedicated drum monitors:
    Roland makes the PM-10, PM-30 and the discontinued PM-3.
    Yamaha makes two versions like the PM-3.
    Simmons makes a PM-10 copy and the larger DA200.

Numerous companies make bi-amped powered cabinets with a horn and a 10"/12"/15" speaker.

Roland also offers several keyboard amps with a horn 10"/12"/15" speaker.

Then you have the excellent B-52 matrix of 2slows that is stepping up a bit in the power/projection range. Which by the way 2slow, I thought you were selling that unit. ABC

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ABCgang View Post
    As mentioned previously, what exactly are you looking to do with the amplification your asking about. No sense in getting crazy if your just wanting to hear yourself practice at home.

Several companies make dedicated drum monitors:
    Roland makes the PM-10, PM-30 and the discontinued PM-3.
    Yamaha makes two versions like the PM-3.
    Simmons makes a PM-10 copy and the larger DA200.

Numerous companies make bi-amped powered cabinets with a horn and a 10"/12"/15" speaker.

Roland also offers several keyboard amps with a horn 10"/12"/15" speaker.

Then you have the excellent B-52 matrix of 2slows that is stepping up a bit in the power/projection range. Which by the way 2slow, I thought you were selling that unit. ABC
    Yep what he said !!
    Last edited by 2slow; 08-19-2009 at 08:11 AM.
    E Drums !! !

User Info Menu

sorry guys (gals?)...

i simply want something for the house.... i plan to take some lessons soon and one of the guys i'm looking into does "in house" lessons...

seems silly to be using HEADPHONES when he starts coming...!

re: where located.... in NJ.... but really do not want to spend much (right now)....

?

User Info Menu

Remember guys, we don't buy and sell equipment in the forum.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

was just responding to his ? (re: where i lived), sorry.... my bad....

User Info Menu

OK now I know what you need check out the roland cube ...small very nice high quality and they sound good !!

Last edited by 2slow; 08-19-2009 at 08:11 AM.
    E Drums !! !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Remember guys, we don't buy and sell equipment in the forum.
    No problem.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
    OK now I know what you need check out the roland cube ...small very nice high quality and they sound good !!

thanks!

will look into it ay my local shops, see if i can dig up a used one!

User Info Menu

hey all... i went and picked up a Simmons DA50 today... was ~$200, plus 2 cables and "service plan" (normally i do NOT get these things, but the guy kind's talked me into it for $20 - "...amps tend to BLOW vry often..."), so in the end, i laid down ~$280 (amp, cables, service plan, tax)...

it sounds pretty good (considering i have been wearing head phones for ~1 year!!); it is NICE to be FREE!!!

i did promise the mrs that i would be "respectful"...

one question though... it has 3 knobs:

low (60Hz), mid (800Hz), high (10kHz); i guess it is tiem for me to brush up on my electronics terms!

i know they will help adjust the sound (tone) to taste, but typically (using the face of a clock) where do you people have these set - right now i have all at 12:00 - indicator line is pointing straight up, opposed to all the way to the left (~7:00) or all the way to the right (~5:00)

thanks!

User Info Menu

Primemover, I found that if I boosted the bass (low), decreased the mids, and boosted the treble (high), this brings out the drums sounds and the cymbal sounds. That's what seemed best for me. Let's see what more seasoned e-kiters have to say.

User Info Menu

If it's just for the house, run it through a set of computer speakers with a subwoofer.

• 1966 4-piece Ludwig Black Oyster Pearl
    • 2000 8-piece DW Collector's Grey Swirl
    • 2002 8-piece Pearl Masterworks GB Packer Gold
    • 2008 8-piece Tama B&B Lava Glass Glitter
    • Paiste Signature 12, 14, 14, 16, 16, 17, 18, 18, 20, 20, 22
    • Paiste Formula 602 14, 14, 16, 18, 20

User Info Menu

I use two Roland powered KC550's and two powered KCW-1 sub woofers. This is plenty for rehearsals and for small shows, being I only use the E-kit for rehearsals and low volume shows. this should work for you.
    http://www.myspace.com/thebanters

I'm still the best Keith Moon type drummer in the world
    My friends call me Keith, but you can call me John.
    - Keith Moon-

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    If it's just for the house, run it through a set of computer speakers with a subwoofer.
    ?

so, are you saying i should "by pass" the amp speakers (though i'm not sure if that is even possible) or are you saying i should "add" the computer speakers to it....

or

are you saying i should not have just dropped ~$280 on an amp all together and have just used the computer speakers and, if so...

where were you ~4-5 days ago!?

:(

no matter... i do like the amp, so, i'll be keeping it...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by primemover View Post
    ?

so, are you saying i should "by pass" the amp speakers (though i'm not sure if that is even possible) or are you saying i should "add" the computer speakers to it....

or

are you saying i should not have just dropped ~$280 on an amp all together and have just used the computer speakers and, if so...

where were you ~4-5 days ago!?

:(

no matter... i do like the amp, so, i'll be keeping it...
    Computer speakers have amplifiers built in. They work fine for practice, but you'll need more power for gigging.

• 1966 4-piece Ludwig Black Oyster Pearl
    • 2000 8-piece DW Collector's Grey Swirl
    • 2002 8-piece Pearl Masterworks GB Packer Gold
    • 2008 8-piece Tama B&B Lava Glass Glitter
    • Paiste Signature 12, 14, 14, 16, 16, 17, 18, 18, 20, 20, 22
    • Paiste Formula 602 14, 14, 16, 18, 20

User Info Menu

3 knobs you got your low medium and high .. just like it says .. think low for your bass and floor .. medium for your rack toms and some of the after ring on the ride and the high for most of the cymbal work .. this is why a guitar or bass amp really would not work to well for an e-kit. there designed for ranges of sound and keyboards and drums generally use a wider range of sound so youll get distortion or even blow a speaker using an e-kit through bass & guitar amps(speakers)

I am by no means an expert Im just going on what I understand(very little) about amplification

also the computer speaker option .. yes it will work but I have had computer speakers that probably would not sound good at all with the full range of sound at any real volume I think you did yourself a favor but getting a good amp .. keep the rythm.

also now that you have an amp. when the mrs. is gone crank it up and have some fun see if you cant use that warranty ...loll
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

Are you sure the 'Low' knob says 60Hz? because that is REALLY low, most adults can't hear that tone. (edit: I checked online and it does say that, I guess it is common for e-drum amps.)

Your 'mid' knob is also more 'mid-low' than really mid, and the high knobs is actually very high.

Anyways, you'll just have to experiment with the settings. To help you out a little bit: it is a parametric EQ you are dealing with, if you didn't already know that. That says that if you turn one of the knobs up, the 60Hz frequency is boosted, and so are the frequency's around it, like a 'mountain parabole' (that isn't properly translated I guess, here is a figure to help you out)

Imagine the horizontal axis says frequency, and the vertical axis says decibel. The top of the parabole is 60Hz for the low knob, 800Hz for the mid knob and 10Khz (10.000Hz) for the high knob. Vertically, just divide the numbers by 100.

If you boost the knob next to it, where the 2 paraboles overlap (you'll have to turn your knobs all the way open to reach that effect, since it is only a 3-band parametric EQ, so don't worry about it) the frequency raised by both paraboles is raised double, be mindfull of that. (but again, you won't have to worry)

That is just a little bit theory, don't worry about it though, just turn the knobs until it sounds good.