Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you a pirate?

User Info Menu

Default Are you a pirate?

hey me again, just wondered if anyone here has downloaded any recording/production software like cubase or sonar9 off of pirated file sites. do you think it's a good or bad idea?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Default Re: Are you a pirate?

Stealing is always a bad idea. People will attempt to justify their actions but we have a moral responsibility to do the right thing in this world. Anyone that tells you otherwise is misguided.

User Info Menu

ARRrrr I agree with me matey drummer stealing off ye pirating sites or what not is a bad idea, you dont want to be plundering other peoples booty. Trust me i'm a pirate arr

User Info Menu

Not only that, but since this thread is on the WORLD WIDE WEB, you know, for anyone to see...my "Official" answer would have to be don't do it.

Oh, and of course because it's bad, too. Stealing is bad, mmm-kay.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

The thing is that after a company puts in all the time and money to develop it, downloading a pirated copy would be depriving them of being able to make a living for their hard work. It's not much different than us working all week, and then having someone take our paycheck. Bad business that!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I can see both sides. I mean yeh the peopl who do/make it should get credit-cds, games etc i agree should be bought but other stuff is rediculous. Sorry but im a student, if i want to make music it would be difficult to raise the £500 odd amount cubase costs. I havnt pirated this but the costs can be just ludicrous

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    The thing is that after a company puts in all the time and money to develop it, downloading a pirated copy would be depriving them of being able to make a living for their hard work. It's not much different than us working all week, and then having someone take our paycheck. Bad business that!
    Sounds like taxes

Software updates, tech support. All very important and not possible without a proper registered copy that you purchased. These companies work very hard for a product and just like pastor bob said, you would be tacking advantage of them and stealing. don't do it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious Stan View Post
    I can see both sides. I mean yeh the peopl who do/make it should get credit-cds, games etc i agree should be bought but other stuff is rediculous. Sorry but im a student, if i want to make music it would be difficult to raise the £500 odd amount cubase costs. I havnt pirated this but the costs can be just ludicrous
    Thats why there are programs like Audacity.

User Info Menu

In my opinion, I think it's crap that you have to buy one copy for one computer. I'm against the idea of sticking the program online and letting other random people download, however.

Sharing, like giving your siblings a copy of a program for their computer, I'm fond of that idea.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Um... I don't ever pirate things, but there is ONE website where it's legal to get the music for free... They get the music from websites that pay the artist.

*CB, just to keep Drum Chat out of any trouble, let's leave the website out of this post - PB*
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    In my opinion, I think it's crap that you have to buy one copy for one computer. I'm against the idea of sticking the program online and letting other random people download, however.

Sharing, like giving your siblings a copy of a program for their computer, I'm fond of that idea.
    Well, the way it works for a lot of software is you get 5 to 6 licenses to put on any computers you want up to that point. Beyond that point, you have to pay for extra licenses, therefore you can easily place it on your siblings computer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nucjd View Post
    Well, the way it works for a lot of software is you get 5 to 6 licenses to put on any computers you want up to that point. Beyond that point, you have to pay for extra licenses, therefore you can easily place it on your siblings computer
    Does Adobe let you do that with Photoshop? I also wonder if Sony lets you do it with Vegas Movie Studio.

Because my sister has both those programs and I wonder if I could get them on my computer without paying :D
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    keep in mind the pirated files im referring to are the music software that some would never be able to afford.
    Makes ZERO difference.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    Does Adobe let you do that with Photoshop? I also wonder if Sony lets you do it with Vegas Movie Studio.

Because my sister has both those programs and I wonder if I could get them on my computer without paying :D
    I'm pretty sure you can do it with Sony Vegas but not with Photoshop.

As for the pirating, I only "illegally" download music when it's not available anywhere else. Like the trailer music that love to listen to (the music they put in movie trailers) is not available to the public...only to the movie companies. But it's on Bit Torrent, so that's where I get it from. If I want to get a regular song, I'll just pay for it on iTunes, because I agree that it's not a great idea to download pirated files often, since like PB said, it's just like taking away their pay checks.

Another thing I do is I get free alternatives to software that otherwise costs a lot of money, and it's perfectly legal. Like instead of spending $600 or whatever on Photoshop, I use Gimp, which has nearly all the capablilities of Photoshop, except it's freeware.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Makes ZERO difference.
    does it? what if certain people never in their lives grow as musicians who can mix their songs but instead remain in the garage broke and have to quit cause they can never tour anything they made? that 500 that they dont have for the software limits their potential as greats, and influences to future greats.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

does it? what if certain people never in their lives grow as musicians who can mix their songs but instead remain in the garage broke and have to quit cause they can never tour anything they made? that 500 that they dont have for the software limits their potential as greats, and influences to future greats.
    Russ... respectfully, this is a rationalization and it fails to meet the test of integrity. Anyone can use an argument like that for anything. For example; "I must rob a bank of thousands of dollars because my employer only pays me $10 an hour and that is not enough to make me rich." It may seem like a silly comparison but I used the same rationalization you did to come to my conclusion.

User Info Menu

Still doesnt matter. Theft is theft.
    Besides there is plenty of free software available (audacity)

User Info Menu

yeah i guess so
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Besides there is plenty of free software available.
    Exactly.
    Matt

User Info Menu

How are you going to get support?

"hello, help desk may I have your serial number?"

uhh.......click
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

i dont really know how it works, jus wonderin if anyone else has
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

most pro audio software is so expensive you will never really get a chance to trial it properly unless you can get your hands on quality pirate versions.
    that said - once you pick your software you should do the right thing and purchase it legally. its for your own interests anyway as you get more reliabilty, add ons, patches, support etc....
    im glad to see some people out there have good morals about it.
    i wouldn't put myself in that class however :P

User Info Menu

Does drinking Captain Morgan spiced rum make me a pirate? I have never downloaded any.

I don't even own a parrot.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Does drinking Captain Morgan spiced rum make me a pirate? I have never downloaded any.

I don't even own a parrot.
    hahaha oh my god im dying!
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

arrrgghhhh!!
    just don't colour in one of your teeth with a black marker or get a hoop earring and no one will ever know you're a pirate