Thread: Is latin music going to help?

User Info Menu

Default Is latin music going to help?

My teacher consists that i should learn to play latin music on drumset. I'm a rock drummer and my goal is to play progressive rock and some funk & jazz. Is latin music going to help me or it's just a waste of time? (i actually enjoy to play latin but i don't want to give more emphasise at latin music than i will ever need)
    Last edited by adccnotbe; 08-18-2009 at 06:45 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Is latin music going to help?

Absolutely learn it. Those rythyms played in a rock style open up so many different options.Listen to a bunch of Latin rythyms and then listen to Portnoy...or if that doesn't convince ya that they work in a rock setting..just listen to Dave Weckl play them.After ya hear Dave, wipe the drool off ya mouth,get back up (his playing will knock ya over), and plan on practicing for the rest of your life to get to about 1/10th of Weckl. The guys just a freak of nature........This would have been a good *Frank question*

User Info Menu

AB. . .SO. . . FREAKIN. . . LUTE. . . LY!!!

It will help you with your 4 limb independence. It will help you to write in things other than straight 4/4. You can apply the beats, or variations thereof, in rock / jazz tunes. Go the the 'Cowbell Grooves' thread in here and look at the 'Late in the Evening' video someone posted. That is a pop tune with a Latin beat.

I am taking lessons again this Winter to bone up on those Latin grooves. I can play corruptions of them, but I wanna learn the real things. ('Real' in the sense that they are adaptations of a whole percussion section to a kit, of course.)
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

It's "insists", not "consists" for the record. Not criticizing you but just helping a buddy out.

Definitely get a handle on basic Latin rhythms if you're going to play progressive music in any fashion. I learned it and it changed everything. I've actually been hired over other drummers before because they liked my Latin chops.

ADC, welcome to our forum. Glad to have you hear and feel free to ask any questions you ever have. There are plenty of people here willing to help.
    - Tom

See the new Drum Bum Store!

When you shop at Drum Bum or BuyGifts.com, you help with the costs of operating DrumChat.com. Please consider patronizing their fine stores. Whether you need unique music gifts for friends or just want a little something for yourself, Drum Bum is the place!

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Like everyone has said, it will certainly help. However if your practice time is limited and you need to get your rock gig ready quickly then I can see taking a more direct route and learning the actual grooves you will be using. You can always let your teacher know you want to go back to the latin later.
    Lisa

Psalm 150:5
    Praise him with the clash of cymbals, praise him with resounding cymbals.

Drummer at Baptist church
    I like it syncopated and funky

Yamaha Hipgig
    Zildjian Special Dry ride
    Zildjian Constantinople crash
    Paiste 2002 hats
    Promark Crystal Ball beater

User Info Menu

It's only a waste of time if you waste the knowledge. Regardless of the type of music you play or want to play, learning different styles and the techniques that go along with it will only make you more creative. Jazz and Funk in particular are heavily enfluenced on ethnic styles, including Latin, African, Brazilian etc. You should learn as much as your brain can hold.

User Info Menu

Thank u guys. You are all very helpful. I really appreciate it :-)
    Drumming till my arms and feet go dead!!!

User Info Menu

Adccnotbe, it has been said in here before that we should all strive to be well rounded drummers. It was Drummer himself that pointed out that if a drummer considers themself to be just a rock drummer and trains only for that, if music shifts to another style, the rock drummer ends up washing cars to make a living. Be well rounded, nad then you are ready for anything. I think your teacher believe you have it in you to move on in your studies, but if you disagree, you need to talk to your teacher, and as Rat A Tat Tat said, let your teacher know you want to get to Latin rhythms a little later.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

Drum Bum: Gifts for Drummers

Cool Drummer T-shirts and Drum Accessories!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by adccnotbe View Post
    My teacher consists that i should learn to play latin music on drumset. I'm a rock drummer and my goal is to play progressive rock and some funk & jazz. Is latin music going to help me or it's just a waste of time? (i actually enjoy to play latin but i don't want to give more emphasise at latin music than i will ever need)
    latin helps your jazz and everything else.
    stick to it and LISTEN to the music as well. learn to fully understand it, how it works and WHY they do what they do.
    you can incorporate everything into everything
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

Can you tell me some latin bands that i could listen? I listen to Los Van Van a lot lately but i don't know any other bands.
    Drumming till my arms and feet go dead!!!