Thread: switching to left hand eveything!

User Info Menu

Default switching to left hand eveything!

hey guys. Iv been drumming for just over a year now. And i heard here that it would be a very very good idea to re learn how to drum using your left hand and left food instead of right handed stuff. and iv totally changed my drum set around and im starting to learn now. but what skill will this develop? i know its a good thing to do, but why?
    Last edited by Lafirin; 02-05-2007 at 08:39 PM.

User Info Menu

it'll strengthen your left hand and foot and will eventually will allow you to play faster and more complicated rhythms
    The egg approves!

User Info Menu

simpley put, thanks for the info :D did you do this?

User Info Menu

any other input would be great!

User Info Menu

Lafirin, I've switched and played quite a bit left-handed. But everything should be done in priority. I've been playing for many years.

Younger and/or less-experienced drummers should concentrate on the basics. They always underestimate the real fundamentals and things that help your drumming the most like playing a "smooth" and "controlled" double stroke roll up to speed or executing creative, tasteful fills that embellish the music. Or even playing all the styles fluently and comfortably. In my opinion, all of these things should come before learning to play everything left-handed. You need proficiency in basics before you need ambidexterity.

User Info Menu

now those were some words of wisdom right there. but may i ask, what is a doublestroke roll? and im going to be taking drum lessions next week regulary so im sure he cant give me alot of what i want to know and were i want to start, i was just wondering what kind of skills i will develope by switching my regular right handed style to left handed.

User Info Menu

A double stroke roll is playing two strokes (double) in each hand ... RR LL RR LL. (This is not to be confused with a buzz stroke or multiple stroke roll where you play many strokes in each hand RRRRRRRR LLLLLLLLL etc.)
    This link provides further information: http://store.drumbum.com/drums/buzz-...ents-drums.htm

Switching to left-handed enhances ambidexterity. This in turn leads to greater overall control and independence on the kit. Again, I don't recommend doing this in the first few years of playing. I think it's actually counter-productive. It would be like asking a baby to switch and put the spoon in the left hand after it's only had a week or so to get used to the spoon being in the right hand. It just doesn't make any sense.

User Info Menu

alrighty cool thanks