Thread: Holding the stick in your left hand differently..

User Info Menu

Default Holding the stick in your left hand differently..

hey, i just thought id post this thread out there because i think other people are confused about this too. how to people holding the stick in there left hand, iv tried it but its always very awkward to hold and doesn't help me at all! can someone tell how to hold it correctly and if i need to suck it up and practice holding it that way.

User Info Menu

ya traditional grip (wat its called) has always seemed weird to me too i cant ever make it feel natural

help sophisticated experienced drummers

sending out an S.O.S!!
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

I like the way that Darren Matthes puts it
    no grip that allows you to express your self is ever wrong. some just are easier.

so explain differently, do you mean traditional?
    cause i playa traditional but not on the set, thats just weird.
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

Wasn't traditional grip originally invented so that marching band members wouldn't tire out with their left arm from playing matched grip?

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

i was unsure about both grips myself, i just went to the library (or maybe youtube.com even) and rented some drum instructional videos/dvd's and they had several and all showed you how to do it

it was much easier for me to understand them both seeing someone explain it, its hard to explain in text i think

a good one is one with ed soph in it btw

hope that helps, ive been trying to use traditional a bit, and actually helps on my snare stickings when i need multiple quick hits, IF i hold it like the tapes show me.....too poor for an instructor