Thread: Vater Drum sticks

User Info Menu

Default Vater Drum sticks

I have been experimenting with drumsticks lately.

I was given a pair of nylon tip and wood tip Vater 5A's as a gift for purchasing the TAMA Bubinga's last fall. I finally got a chance to use them over the past 30 days.

I have never been a proponent of nylon tips until now.

When I switched over from wood to nylon here's what I found.

I use Sabian Paragon cymbals for my Ride, Hat's and splash. I love them.

However, they are a bit more subdued than my AAX or my Zildjian A series cymbals but I love the ride with no wash and the bell that keeps on ringing.

However, what I wasn't prepared for was the way the nylon tip brings out the brightness on those cymbals. It feels like the sticks woke up the cymbals and now they have more clarity and dynamics.

As far as the drums go, I don't really notice much difference between wood and nylon tips. So for now I've elected to use nylon tips and see how they hold up.

I also had purchased a 12 pack of NOVA sticks. They are nice and play well but they splinter real bad and real fast and if you aren't careful, you'll splinter yourself with them.

So to recap, I like the way the nylon tips work with my cymbals. I like the balance and fit / feel of the Vater 5As. The durability remains to be seen. I'll report back after a few gigs with them.

As for value, I got a 4pk for 20 bucks. Not bad.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Default Re: Vater Drum sticks

Interesting review Bish. I've noticed through the years that either a nylon tipped stick can "wake up" a ride cymbal or a wood tipped stick can "warm" or tone down an otherwise bright or pingy ride. I think this can go either way. Since I like wood tip drumsticks, I tend to buy ride cymbals that compliment this style of stick.

User Info Menu

Good point, drummer.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I've playing nylon tip Vaters (fat back 5/8" longer than standard) since 92'.Occasionally (sp) I'll get a box of different sizes or new models and they hold up awesome.The tips don't fall off or crack and I never break them.

I usually just wear them down from rim shots on the snare. I agree 100% that they add a brightness to the ride cymbal.

User Info Menu

I have always used nylon-tip Vater 5A or 5B. I love the sounds they make on rides and hats, and they have never let me down. I've only broken one stick, but that was years ago when I first started drumming and didn't know any technique.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Great review Bish. I gave up on nylon sticks a while ago, but maybe I was too hasty. Thanks for your thoughts.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Great review Bish. I gave up on nylon sticks a while ago, but maybe I was too hasty. Thanks for your thoughts.
    Me, too, PB. I would be jamming along and all of a sudden one stick felt weird. Upon closer inspection the tip was long gone. LOL

Another thing I'm noticing with wood tip sticks.... I never wear them out before they are just plain unusuable. I find that the tips tend to splinter sometimes and it can be severe enough to possibly puncture a drum head.

I'm not saying any particular brand is worse than another. Just the difference between wood and nylon tips.
    Signature here