Thread: Wood hoops for snare, do you recommend?

User Info Menu

Question Wood hoops for snare, do you recommend?

I'm attempting to change my sound. I really enjoy the maple tone from snares, but i've also come into a chad smith signature snare from pearl that i also really like. i've noticed that there are metal/wood hoops as well as wood. what would you recommend?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Wood hoops for snare, do you recommend?

I have been debating wood hoops for my wooden snare project, Just the hoops after market are $91 each. I was mostly going for looks though over sound. I do like the way they sound though. I will settle for black metal hoops.

User Info Menu

well, if you like the sound of wood then go for it. it's hard to say how it'll sound as there are a lot of different type of wood hoops but in general you'll get a warmer sound with less sustain. of course you can also get wood hoops which give you more sustain and some sound darker than others...

User Info Menu

I have them on my favorite snare and I love them. They make it sound really fat and woody. (I feel like i am describing a fine wine.) The cross stick (rim click) sound is really, really good. I would highly recomend them if that is the sound you are after, you won't be disapointed! They do considerably change the diameter of you snare however so you need to make sure the basket on your snare stand can accomidate the increased diameter of the drum or you'll unexpectadly be buying a new snare stand to accomidate the drum. You'll need to make sure your strainer will operate umimpeded as well.

User Info Menu

ive heard they make the drum sound like the drum and not something mixed with metal sounds. you might need to get bigger rods and hoop claws, but a worthwhile investment. to the guy who wants black metal hoops, you can always get wood powdercoated black, although its pricey adding everything up in one cost
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I like the look of wood hoops. I'm not particularly sure how they sound, like, but I have seen Akira Jimbo using wooden hoops in a few of his videos.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

thanks so much you guys, i have a much better perspective now!

User Info Menu

I tried and Akira snare a long time ago. It sounded OK, but the wood batter hoop started to crack/split from rimshots. Replacements were so expensive that I just sold the drum. Now I use die-cast hoops.

I say wood hoops are fine for any drum BUT a snare, unless you are a light jazz player.

(BTW, I'm not a real heavy hitter - and I don't play metal.)

• 1966 4-piece Ludwig Black Oyster Pearl
    • 2000 8-piece DW Collector's Grey Swirl
    • 2002 8-piece Pearl Masterworks GB Packer Gold
    • 2008 8-piece Tama B&B Lava Glass Glitter
    • Paiste Signature 12, 14, 14, 16, 16, 17, 18, 18, 20, 20, 22
    • Paiste Formula 602 14, 14, 16, 18, 20

User Info Menu

I just picked up that snare. I hope I don't break rims. It sounds incredible.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Beauty DDBI!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I craked rimshots on mine all weekend for a blues gig and the only thing that is damaged is the laquer. I re-laquer my hoops about twice a year as a result of rimshots but the hoops have never even shown a dent!

User Info Menu

i like wood hoops, but i dont like how they look on most finishes so im lookin for a finish they would work with
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Here's a couple better pic's on my kit. I don't know it it's due to the wood rims but this snare sounds awesome. I wish I had recording gear to post some audio clips of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Beauty DDBI!!
    Thanks PB !!

User Info Menu

• 1966 4-piece Ludwig Black Oyster Pearl
    • 2000 8-piece DW Collector's Grey Swirl
    • 2002 8-piece Pearl Masterworks GB Packer Gold
    • 2008 8-piece Tama B&B Lava Glass Glitter
    • Paiste Signature 12, 14, 14, 16, 16, 17, 18, 18, 20, 20, 22
    • Paiste Formula 602 14, 14, 16, 18, 20

User Info Menu

Wow that is a bad crack! That almost looks like a crack caused by dropping the drum or something; you did that with a stick?

User Info Menu

Ddub, I don't think your tom heads have been broken in completely, you should really play them more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DDubbBlackIce View Post
    I just picked up that snare. I hope I don't break rims. It sounds incredible.
    Sweet snare!...I really like the sound of beech snares!...and the wood hoops are definitely a nice touch....here's a pic of my wood hoops on my birch kit....

User Info Menu

Beautiful kit!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post
    Sweet snare!...I really like the sound of beech snares!...and the wood hoops are definitely a nice touch....here's a pic of my wood hoops on my birch kit....

I've been thinking about throwing the wood hoops on my recording customs, but still up in the air about it....Looking good scorch!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post

Wow nice kit. I was tempted to get a full set of wood rims. After seeing yours I just might. So what did you notice about the sound after installing the wood hoops? I assume they are Yamaha vintage hoops?
    Last edited by DDubbBlackIce; 08-25-2009 at 08:59 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mainedrummah View Post
    Ddub, I don't think your tom heads have been broken in completely, you should really play them more.
    Ok help me out, I'm a little slow. Does that mean they ar worn out or not used enough? I'm not a regular here....yet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DDubbBlackIce View Post
    Wow nice kit. I was tempted to get a full set of wood rims. After seeing yours I just might. So what did you notice about the sound after installing the wood hoops? I assume they are Yamaha vintage hoops?
    Yes they are all Yamaha vintage wood hoops!...got them on all the toms (8,10,12,14,16), although this pic only shows them on the 8, 10, 12 toms....I believe they warm the tone up a bit on the toms and have a great rimshot/cross stick sound...and besides they look really cool...the only bad thing about this kit right now is that it's put up in cases...as I currently have my maple custom abs. set up...I may have to switch that around here real soon for a while!
    Last edited by scorch whammin; 08-25-2009 at 09:12 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    Wow that is a bad crack! That almost looks like a crack caused by dropping the drum or something; you did that with a stick?
    Yeah how do you hit the outside of the rims when you play? I bet it was dropped. It clearly took a hit on the outside of the rim that traveled inward. You can see the dent on the outside of the rim.

User Info Menu

Enjoy the new drum! Remember to rotate the wood hoops regularly (just as you would a set of tires, and for the same reasons).