Thread: will all drummers get this? .......

User Info Menu

Default will all drummers get this? .......

What I'm asking is, will all drummers eventually get this kind of speed with their foot? I know this is not that fast and this guy can play alot faster but this is faster than I can play, especially sustained through the entire song.

So is it fair to say that someone who practices 1-2 hours day in day out will get it? I have doubts I will get there. Am I just being impatient? I been drumming 4 months now. I can play nearly this fast and even faster using heel/toe but I'm talking just straight toe(heels up).

Another great cover as always by my man Glenn from the Stryper forum.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kGCqX_Yo4s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kGCqX_Yo4s[/ame]

User Info Menu

Default Re: will all drummers get this? .......

Just keep practicing. I can play that fast and I have been play drums for a little over 3 years, but I've only been doing constant single pedal like that for six months or so.
    Matt

User Info Menu

I would say you should be able to get to that speed fairly easily with practice. The stamina and control will take a bit longer.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    I would say you should be able to get to that speed fairly easily with practice. The stamina and control will take a bit longer.

As in 4 months after picking up a pair of sticks for the first time? I want to know if Im progressing like I should.

User Info Menu

it takes time, it is different for everybody. Speed come from practice, you have to start slow and get the timing down first. If it is fast but not in time it is worthless. You are much better off getting it correct then speed will come. Do not give up it take years not month to get good. If it were that easy everyone would be doing it ;-)
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Rob is absolutely correct. You can't judge in months. If you are 4 months in, you're being impatient. Also don't worry about heel down or heel up, whichever is more comfortable for you. That's personal preference.

It takes a while to get clean speed and all you can do is practice. We all go through it, had to counsel my son through it in his first few years of playing. Fortunately, with practice, etc... there's always a magic point where all of a sudden you can just play. Maybe not complex stuff, but you can just sit down and play most rock. It's an amazing feeling, and once you get there you'll find yourself even more motivated.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    Rob is absolutely correct. You can't judge in months. If you are 4 months in, you're being impatient. Also don't worry about heel down or heel up, whichever is more comfortable for you. That's personal preference.

It takes a while to get clean speed and all you can do is practice. We all go through it, had to counsel my son through it in his first few years of playing. Fortunately, with practice, etc... there's always a magic point where all of a sudden you can just play. Maybe not complex stuff, but you can just sit down and play most rock. It's an amazing feeling, and once you get there you'll find yourself even more motivated.
    That makes sense. For a long time I kept wondering what kind of fill to use for different songs. Obviously the fill the original drummer uses, but I mean, just any fill that would work. I didnt know what drum to hit and/or how many strokes, etc. Then while I was playing one day I just started making up my own fills and it timed out right for the space that I had to work with and I didnt have to force it in, it flowed.

What us aggravating for me is that alot of these songs I try to play I can play everything with my hands, its just a matter of memorizing it. What I cant play is the kickdrum beats which puts me out of being able to do the song alltogether. So its not like you can take it slow when doing a song. I guess maybe play just the kick without the song slow, and then try to speed it up.

Thanks.

User Info Menu

if it was easy.... everyone could do it, and then it wouldn't be sweet. aka yes patience is key, but it's easy when you're playing drums!

Jimmy

www.youtube.com/jimmykadesch

User Info Menu

If you practice every day.....next year you'll be wondering why you ever posted this!

User Info Menu

slinglander is dead on right. You are in the steep learning curve right now. Everyone learns differently with different rates. The key is not to be discouraged and just as important is not to get into a rut. Take lessons if you are not and if you are continue. rmandelbaum is right as well. Timing is everything. Sped comes with time and confidence and that can only be achieved by practicing at a tempo that allows you tim execute with precision. When I was starting to play drums and my first 5 to 7 years double bass was not even in the game for me. I had so much to learn with rudiments and stick work that it double bass was not on the radar. Don't get discouraged, it will come and when it happens you will wonder why it was so hard. Classically I have noticed we learn using our supra-tentorial cerebrum and when we have a intellectual grasp then it is transferred to our cerebellum (which allows us to walk, stand, eat and speak without really thinking about it). Once it is there is when we really start having fun with drums. This transfer takes time and is different for everyone.

User Info Menu

Ya know, there really ought to be an entire forum just for beginning drummers. It should include information that will assist and encourage people to stick to drumming, such as: various learning stages of drumming, in terms of discouragement, how to deal with it; maybe psychological aspects of learning, like sight vs. aural learning, or, right-brain (sight) vs. left-brain (auditory) and what are the best practices to get things to transfer from one side to another, as it were. get beginning drummers to understand different stages or phases of learning, so that they don't have to feel they are alone, and just don't get it. Things that we all come to expect after many years of drumming (except for me of course, as I too am a beginner!). It is hard being a beginning drummer, just doing exercises, and not seeing how it will all integrate at some point. Or even if you do practice religiously, but still don't see results (very frustrating) and what to do about it.

It sure is frustrating because you are not enjoying the experience. How can you simultaneously do the work that will get you someplace with your instrument, but in the mean time, do things that help you enjoy playing them, and kinda like the sound that you are making (so you will stick to it) .

There should be a single point of entry for all these resources for new kit drummers too.

Just sayin'
    Pearl VMX Maple 5 piece
    Silver Glitter
    Zildjian A Customs
    Pearl 3-sided rack

User Info Menu

What is the obsession with speed anyway? A good groove will sound good at any tempo. Don't worry so much about how fast you're playing, especially at only 4 months in (I'm in that same boat by the way). Once you're comfortable playing a groove, as in you don't even have to think about it, THEN work on playing it faster.

Oh, and I would highly recommend Tommy Igoe's "Groove Essentials" to anyone, beginner or advanced. That is what I'm using to teach myself, and I've learned to play stuff I never thought I could. Amazing what PRACTICE can accomplish.

User Info Menu

Takes time and practice, practice, practice oh did I say practice Hang in there and have fun. By they way, that blue cymbal is that a paiste? Looks and sounds awesome.

User Info Menu

Yeah, thats a Paiste.

The reason I am concerned with speed is because if there is a song that you like and want to play then you are sol if your foot isnt fast enough.

User Info Menu

Robert from Stryper also uses the Duallist kick pedal so he only has to play half of what you hear. I'm not saying that he can't do it for real but he does use a "cheater" pedal.

Practice is always the best thing but I must say that pedal sure makes it easier to be way fast.
    Yamaha Absolute Maple - Apple Sparkle Fade
    2 - 22x18 kick,10x9, 12x10, 13x11, 14x12, 16x16 - toms
    14x5.5 absolute snare
    14x6.5 Mapex Maple Deluxe Black Panther
    Paiste Signature, 2002, Rude and Twenty series Cymbals
    Yamaha, Pearl & DW hardware.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stealthdrummer View Post
    Robert from Stryper also uses the Duallist kick pedal so he only has to play half of what you hear. I'm not saying that he can't do it for real but he does use a "cheater" pedal.

Practice is always the best thing but I must say that pedal sure makes it easier to be way fast.

Not saying I dont believe you but thats news to me, and I consider myself to be about as knowledgable as one can get with respect to this band.

The video I posted doesnt have a very fast beat for a seasoned drummer, just kinda fast and sustained for a new drummer. Once again, I am not obsessed with speed, I just like to play along to their songs.

Coming back to the pedal, I have seen him play alot and I have watched his feet(easy when he plays with the kit sideways) and he is just using plain old playing style.

User Info Menu

hey full force, everyone one here has pretty much already said it...PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE...

User Info Menu

Agreed. Practice.