Thread: Joining/forming a band

User Info Menu

Default Joining/forming a band

Unfortunately, I'm completely band-less right now, and have been since I started drumming. But I really want to be part of band and be able to play with other musicians. Trouble is, I haven't got a clue how to go about finding either a band that needs a drummer, or other musicians that I can form a band with. Nobody I know plays any instruments, so I can't just form a band from me and my friends or anything like that.

The only thing I have thought of that I could do so far is that there is a guitar club at my high school, and could pop into some of their meetings and get to know some of the guys and see if any of them are interested in forming a band. Of course I would still need to find a bassist and a singer but at least its somewhere to start.

I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions about what I should do.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Default Re: Joining/forming a band

Be careful if you pop into a guitar club meeting, they will probably rip each other apart to get you. Just network around and meet some people that play guitar or bass. Don't mention starting a band, instead ask them if they can jam sometime. Once you've jammed with a bunch of different people, decide who you want in your band. Most importantly, drummers are hard to find, so you deal the cards; they need you, you don't need them because you could find someone else easily. This doesn't mean you should be a jerk, it just means you need to make sure you have control.

While you are still in high school you need to network with as many guitar and bassist as you can. If you plan on going pro it's really nice to have a bunch of strummers you can call up.

User Info Menu

Seeing that you live in Cali, how about the Recycler?? There is also Craigslist and myspace classified. There is also the Guitar Center. Just be cautious about the people you wish to audition with.

User Info Menu

I too was going to suggest CL. But since you are still in High School, I wouldn't try that. Your idea about the guitar club seems like a great idea. Plus they will probably live closer to you. Short travel time for band practice makes it so much better.

User Info Menu

Don't forget about local music stores. Get to know, and be known, by local music stores. The right local stores can help you network with, and jam with, people that have similar desires.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Don't forget about local music stores. Get to know, and be known, by local music stores. The right local stores can help you network with, and jam with, people that have similar desires.
    Most music stores have a board hanging up with info like that on it .
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

I would suggest renting a bilmp with you intentions on it or maybe a ballon drop! LOL just kidding, There are some great suggestions on here, I have tried all of them and so far crgslst worked the best(to bad 90% of responders aren't serious) but that 10% could make the diff. But most important becareful with your choices and places of meeting(alot of wacko's out there these days) best of luck on your search

Larrysperf Guest

Meet in a safe place first to see if personalities gel then go from there dont take your drums first time out as it could turn bad. Sounds like dating, lol
    some people out there want to steal your stuff. Sorry but this has happened to some. Sad but true

User Info Menu

If working it out through email facebook or myspace search them. Most musicians post pics of them playing. Doesn't really mean anything if there's nothing but you could at least confirm if that they do actually play.

User Info Menu

Go to a couple of open mic jams.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Owens View Post
    Be careful if you pop into a guitar club meeting, they will probably rip each other apart to get you.
    lol good one. Just wait.. There are plenty of guitarists who need bands, and when you show them you play drums, they'll be all "hey, wanna be in a band with me?" That's how I kinda got started.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by concrete Building View Post
    lol good one. Just wait.. There are plenty of guitarists who need bands, and when you show them you play drums, they'll be all "hey, wanna be in a band with me?" That's how I kinda got started.
    Yeah that happened to me once...never heard from the guy again.
    Matt

User Info Menu

lol well every day, I'm with the guy who asked me. He's the guitarist who became the bassist, now he told me he's gonna go back to guitar.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

I'm not exactly sure what the site is called but I saw a link on facebook that said "Find local musicians in your area" I clicked on it and pretty much you choose where you live and it shows other people in the area and you can search people for whatever instrument you need, and then it has a description of the person

User Info Menu

Just find some people to jam with, just play around before you make a final formation of a band. You do not want to form a band then realize you dont like your guitarist, because the drama of kicking someone out is not worth it.

For my band, i jammed with this guy from my spanish class a few times, then we decided that it clicked really well. it was just him and i jamming alot for awhile. then we went to the local music store and talked to some of the teachers, they told their students that they thought would be a good match about us, then we auditioned some people (although none worked for us it was a great experience.) then we did resort to craigslist. if you do use CL make sure you find people around your age and you highlight your main concerns (experience, age, drugs/alchohol...ect...) Then you can start auditioning people. We found our singer/songwriter on CL and she kicks alot of butt. and finally my friend has heard a recording or two of my band and it looks like we will be getting another guitar or a bass.

So things to try
    -kids at school (just ask them if they want to jam sometime)
    -music stores (find a guy shredding on the guitar)
    -Music stores/lessons-talk to the teachers about students they have that might be interested in jamming
    -often times stores have bulletin boards, or even your church
    -CL (just make sure you are very picky on who you audition, email back and fourth a few times.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    Just find some people to jam with, just play around before you make a final formation of a band. You do not want to form a band then realize you dont like your guitarist, because the drama of kicking someone out is not worth it.

For my band, i jammed with this guy from my spanish class a few times, then we decided that it clicked really well. it was just him and i jamming alot for awhile. then we went to the local music store and talked to some of the teachers, they told their students that they thought would be a good match about us, then we auditioned some people (although none worked for us it was a great experience.) then we did resort to craigslist. if you do use CL make sure you find people around your age and you highlight your main concerns (experience, age, drugs/alchohol...ect...) Then you can start auditioning people. We found our singer/songwriter on CL and she kicks alot of butt. and finally my friend has heard a recording or two of my band and it looks like we will be getting another guitar or a bass.

So things to try
    -kids at school (just ask them if they want to jam sometime)
    -music stores (find a guy shredding on the guitar)
    -Music stores/lessons-talk to the teachers about students they have that might be interested in jamming
    -often times stores have bulletin boards, or even your church
    -CL (just make sure you are very picky on who you audition, email back and fourth a few times.
    Thanks for the tips Zeta, but the part I am actually having trouble with is the very first part...finding people to jam with. I know there's probably lots of guys at my school that sing or play guitar or bass or what have you, but I don't know any of them lol.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    Thanks for the tips Zeta, but the part I am actually having trouble with is the very first part...finding people to jam with. I know there's probably lots of guys at my school that sing or play guitar or bass or what have you, but I don't know any of them lol.
    Its funny, i was saying the same thing when i first started, and it turned out that i just wasnt looking close enough (even though i could swear up and down that i was) Thats why you check out the music stores next or talk to guitar teachers and ask them to see if they have and students with X amount of experience, that are interest in playing (insert genre here) with a drummer who is trying to put a band together.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Joining/forming a band

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Go to a couple of open mic jams.
    Most major newspapers (and even some community newspapers) have lists of upcoming entertainment events; in my hometown, there are usually at least a couple of open mic jams a week. Might want to check them out, minus drums, before narrowing down your choices.

And definitely check with your music store! Most if not all have a bulletin board with wannabe bandmates on them. Choose carefully...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    Just find some people to jam with, just play around before you make a final formation of a band. You do not want to form a band then realize you dont like your guitarist, because the drama of kicking someone out is not worth it...

...if you do use CL make sure you find people around your age and you highlight your main concerns (experience, age, drugs/alchohol...ect...) Then you can start auditioning people. We found our singer/songwriter on CL and she kicks alot of butt. and finally my friend has heard a recording or two of my band and it looks like we will be getting another guitar or a bass...
    Or discovering your goals don't necessarily mesh with those of your bandmates (as I did).
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I'm not trying to rain on your parade but I can tell you in my experience, putting a band together is a major PITA. after starting 5 months ago we're still trying to find the right guitarist, first it's finding people that have a similar vision of what they want the band to be, then if you get past that...do they have personal issues (drugs/alcohol/family drama) if you manage to get em past that point consider yourself extremely lucky.

So far we have a solid foundation, it's myself, my wife (vox) and our bass player is great..it's just finding that missing piece thats holding us up.

all I can say is keep at it, dont settle for what you dont want, dont put up with people BS and eventually you'll find a band you're really happy with. just be prepared for all the rest along the way

http://bipolarbarbierocks.com

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Quit belly aching and just do it...no other way.
    - RIP Frank

User Info Menu

I KNOW!! We're STILL trying to find a bassist!! I know some real good bassists, but they're all taken!
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

I auditioned for a band that I found in the local newspaper. I realize your saying you want to form the band, but you can have a great experience joining an already formed band also. The guys I joined with for a short period , " CODE 9 " had 10 songs they wrote and recorded. They used drugs and alcohol, but I don't, and they didn't have a problem with me, nor I with them. We played at local bars and open mic nights. Your still young, so stay away from the drugs and alcohol. Musicians aren't that hard to find. Look to place an ad at a local music store, local newspaper , or even your high school music teacher can help you.
    Good Luck, Everett

User Info Menu

since ur a drummer u actually have a very high chance of joinging a band, evryone plays guitar, drummers are hard to find, when i was in 8th grade i wanted to be in a band really badly, but i couldnt find one, but near the end of the skool year, one guy asked me if i cood drum in his band, i said yes, and in 9th grade, in the middle of the skool, some older kids at my skool asked me if i cood join their band, they had been looking for a drummer for a very long time, so i also joined that band, im now in 2 bands

since theres a guitar club at ur skool just ask 1 or 2 of them if they wanna play some music together sometime, or if ur skool has a talent show, just say u wanna perfrom in it and are looker for some other musicans, ur proabbly gonna end up getting asked to be in their band, cause most bands that are still looking for a member, are usually lookng for a drummer, sometimes a singer( my band), occsianly a bassist (used to be my band), but guitarists are easy to find, theyl be loooking for a drummer soon, and if they know u play drums ur proably gonna get asked to join, but if that dosent work, just make a group on faceook (band needs guitarists, bassist, singer) and see if that works

User Info Menu

Sorry if this is a really stupid question, but what's an open mic jam?
    Matt

User Info Menu

A show at a club/bar were anyone is welcome to play.