Thread: Lemons!

User Info Menu

Default Lemons!

Just wanted to share that lemons work really well as cymbal cleaner... first I was using zildjian brand cymbal polish and it did an alright job, and then I looked up on the internet some homemade cymbal cleaners and found lemons.

just cut a lemon in half or fourths and rub it around on the cymbal till the cymbal is covered in lemon juice, then rub the juice in with the lemon, then rinse it off with hot water. Use a sponge with the hot water to get all the lemon juice and dirtiness off the cymbal, then dry with a towel.

Works great, keeps shine, and cheap lol

User Info Menu

Default Re: Lemons!

Really? I would think the acid in the lemon juice would damage the cymbal? Guess not.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Yohin, Groove Juice works quite well on cast cymbals and it is an acidic detergent formulation. Lemon juice is mildly acidic, so it should work a little slower than Groove Juice, but it should work on the same principle.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

That's a handy trick! Also, for any singers, lemon juice in water is good for the voice.

User Info Menu

i heard it is and honey

User Info Menu

Yeah, lemon honey drops (riiiiiiiiiiicola.. ) are good for singers throats.

User Info Menu

Everyone here seems to like putting acid on their expensive cymbals. Makes me NOT want to buy used cymbals. You're removing microscopic layers of metal every time you do that!!

I use WD-40...which is a metal cleaner and PROTECTANT!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Timactionfigures View Post
    Everyone here seems to like putting acid on their expensive cymbals. Makes me NOT want to buy used cymbals. You're removing microscopic layers of metal every time you do that!!

That's what I was thinking when I made my original post.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    That's what I was thinking when I made my original post.
    I know right! Why not just fill a bin with Coca-Cola and set the cymbal in it over night. Should come out nice and shiny in the morning...that is if there's anything left.

Try this experiment with a corroded penny and see what happens. It eats the metal!! The same thing happens when you use Groove Juice or whatever other "cleaners".

User Info Menu

ok... wow.. I guess I'm gonna get a cymbal and wd40 now!
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

You're removing microscopic layers of metal every time you do that!!
    I reckon "microscopic" is the key word here. I honestly dont think it would affect the sound quality at all, unless you just went nuts with it. I use BNrasso as i have cheap cymbals but hate it when you touch the cymbals when they still have some on and get annoying smudges. Need to clean mine again soon

User Info Menu

TAF, the topic of cleaning cymbals comes up again every now and then, and there are as many opinions on cleaning agents as there are members. Some choose not to clean cymbals at all. I agree with MS that the key here is "microscopic." Since I am a bit more advanced in age, I can be pretty sure that I will see no appreciable change in my cymbals during my lifetime, regardless of what I use. Besides, the tarnish that appears on cymbals is a result of oxidation, so any cleaner that restores the luster to a cymbal is stripping away the oxidized metal, thereby removing microscopic layers of metal.

WD-40 will indeed help loosen dirt, and residues, and it's main function is to provide a layer of light oil that provides a barrier to water. If this works for you, I think it's great.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Thanks Pastor Bob. I just want folks to be aware of how all those metal polishes actually work, cuz something tells me they'd think differently if they knew it was stripping away metal. Most seem to know it will strip their logos off, and microscopic or not, the lathing on cymbols is quite small and all those grooves resonate at extreme frequencies. No doubt in my mind that the sound is affected.

I just get the impression that some are using this stuff on a regular frequent basis simply to remove a few finger prints or dust. And that only encourages MORE corrosion faster by removing the laquer. WD-40 from day one for me, and I suspect it will be a LONG time before I see any corrosion.

User Info Menu

Thanks Pastor Bob. I just want folks to be aware of how all those metal polishes actually work, cuz something tells me they'd think differently if they knew it was stripping away metal. Most seem to know it will strip their logos off, and microscopic or not, the lathing on cymbols is quite small and all those grooves resonate at extreme frequencies. No doubt in my mind that the sound is affected.

I just get the impression that some are using this stuff on a regular frequent basis simply to remove a few finger prints or dust. And that only encourages MORE corrosion faster by removing the laquer. WD-40 from day one for me, and I suspect it will be a LONG time before I see any corrosion.
    You certainly make valuable points TAF, and it should give us all something to consider. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mainedrummah View Post
    Yeah, lemon honey drops (riiiiiiiiiiicola.. ) are good for singers throats.
    I hear Guiness beer works even better for drummers...especially those of us who don't sing much

User Info Menu

I drink WD-40 for breakfast every morning. It's to clean and protect the iron that I hear is inside of me.

Project-Green-Destiny Guest

Ok, this is going to sound very funny, but in the lemon methods defense I was flipping through channels and came across good ole Martha Stewart showing a quick (and SAFE) method for polishing antique copper objects using lemon and kosher salt. Cut the lemon in half and lay the flat end into kosher salt (lay do not press) then using circular motions lightly rub the object with the lemon half. FWIW

User Info Menu

lemon products? where is that darned willy mays
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum