Thread: Is it normal?!

User Info Menu

Default Is it normal?!

Hey all. I'm tuning a floor tom for my upcoming gig. I don't like floor tom tuning that much at all!!! Anyways, I was wondering if I was gettin PO'd because I'm doing something wrong, or if it's just normal. I'm getting an awfully long sustain out of the floor tom, like, its like not noticable, but it is. Its like when your listening to something, and you go "Whats that noise?" Is it normal for this, or am I tuning wrong??

If it matters, I'm tuning the "Bonham" way. Well, not really his way, but I'm tuning the resonant just a little bit tighter than the batter, like he did. The batter is about a turn and a quarter, and the resonant, a turn and a half or so.

PLEASE HELP?!

OOOOK, now its got some sort of pitch-bendy noise to it!!!!! WTF!? is it cuz the reso is tuned higher?
    Last edited by mainedrummah; 08-26-2009 at 03:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Is it normal?!

Yes...try backing off reso..so sound does'nt bounce ( echo ) alot
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Wow, I feel like the stupidest person in the world. I just read part of the drum tuning bible, soooo, yeahhh.

Mods, you can delete this thread now.

User Info Menu

You might want to get some better heads. I use Remo pinstripes which are supposed to be banged on real hard (just found that out today), and sound great.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

No doubt I would, but it isn't even my kit. My friends letting me use his for the gig coming up, since I just found out why my drums won't tune well, because they are out of round!

But, he has a Remo CS Dot on his floor tom. Wouldn't be my choice, but its fine

User Info Menu

Mainedrummah, if you don't mind I'll leave this thread up in case it could help someone else.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Yeah, I don't mind, if people can get something out of my annoying complaining.

User Info Menu

Take off the bottom head and rim. See if that helps, Bonham DID do that at times. He did that for their 4th album, and your issue seems to be the bottom end for your floor tom.
    Last edited by Tam; 08-30-2009 at 02:53 AM.
    Currently electronics, with some "real" cymbals and a few accesories.

User Info Menu

i had the same problem in the studio with my 16in floor tom. Our producer put some cotton in the floor tom.
    it will float the cotton, when the drum is struck and the resonate head is vibrating. the cotton will kill the overtone, and "deaden" the drum.
    the density and amount of cotton of it will determine how "dead" the tom will be.