Thread: Set up size?

User Info Menu

Default Set up size?

I was curious . All the drummers here who play in small clubs,bars and venues. What is the average floor space your set consumes? I have my kit squeezed into a 5' deep x 6' wide square I taped to my floor. I would like an idea of how large of a floor space your kit consumes. Thank you.
    Last edited by fumbled time; 08-26-2009 at 03:22 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Set up size?

Quote Originally Posted by fumbled time View Post
    I was curious . All the drummers here who play in small clubs,bars and venues. What is the average set up space your set consumes? I have my kit squeezed into a 5' deep x 6' wide square I taped to my floor. Is that a large setup? I know I've seen smaller, So fire away either your dream stages verse the dreaded corner setups you've had to play. Thank you. F/T
    All the drummers I've talked to that play small gigs just take a 4-piece with them. Personally I want to have a large setup at any gigs I do. I know it takes more work and room to set up, but people notice you playing. Not trying to be arrogant or anything like that, but I just like to put on a show. I'm really entertained watching a great drummer play on a large kit, but for me it gets boring watching anybody on a 4-piece.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Owens View Post
    All the drummers I've talked to that play small gigs just take a 4-piece with them. Personally I want to have a large setup at any gigs I do. I know it takes more work and room to set up, but people notice you playing. Not trying to be arrogant or anything like that, but I just like to put on a show. I'm really entertained watching a great drummer play on a large kit, but for me it gets boring watching anybody on a 4-piece.
    Wow! What a Point of View! Each to his own I suppose but, Buddy Rich, Taylor Hawkins, Steve White,Tré Cool, Ringo, John Bonham, Ronnie Verrel, (That's Animal to you,) Dave Weckle on his Hipgig, ( http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/davewecklhipgig.html ) Slim Jim Phantom, all play predoinantly 4 or sometimes 5 piece kits, all Boring? Sorry mate, not to me, and not to most members of the public. In fact, I'd much rather watchg a drummer that I can see Giving it everything he's got, Sweatin' and Bleedin' and lovin what he's doing, rather than a wall of toms with the occaisional stick appearing over the top.

As I said, each to his own, but I think to equate a large kit with putting on a show is just wrong.

Andy

PS, look how Bored the audience are here, http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/philruddhighway.html If only Phill Rudd had used more than a 5 piece...
    Last edited by AndyC; 08-25-2009 at 08:15 AM.

User Info Menu

I really don't know the measurements my gigging kit(s) take up but I always gig w/the same set up....8-10-12-14-16-24 (sometimes 20 or 22) I put the 13" tom in the closet. All on a gibraltar rack..it looks big but it really doesn't take up that much more space then a 4 or 5 piece w/ cymbal stands....And sometimes I like to see the guitar players cry a little about taking some of there space..eh! call me evil

User Info Menu

Ok, Just get a tape measure and find out how wide and deep the floor space is your set consumes! Do you gig with it?
    Last edited by fumbled time; 08-26-2009 at 03:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Well boo hiss! Hey i could mail ya'll tape measures if they don't have them where your from,lol.

User Info Menu

FT, I don't "gig," so I wasn't planning on responding to this thread. I do ocassionally have the kit over at the church, though, and if I set up everything that I have at the house, it would take up a 5' X 8' space. Now, if I ever got to play my kit in the sanctuary (highly unlikely at this church), I would have to scale it down quite a bit, because there simply isn't that much room where the drums would have to be.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    FT, I don't "gig," so I wasn't planning on responding to this thread. I do ocassionally have the kit over at the church, though, and if I set up everything that I have at the house, it would take up a 5' X 8' space. Now, if I ever got to play my kit in the sanctuary (highly unlikely at this church), I would have to scale it down quite a bit, because there simply isn't that much room where the drums would have to be.
    Standing room only PB!

User Info Menu

LOL, thanks PB. I know some threads aren't very interesting and therefore don't get a good response(no biggy). I'm suprised that your kit consumes so little space,it looks alot bigger. F/T

User Info Menu

Ah, camera angles! They can make anything look big! The footprint actually was bigger when I used stands for the cymbals, but the rack makes the footprint smaller.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

The camera adds ten feet,lol.

User Info Menu

Good one FT!!

User Info Menu

6x8

User Info Menu

My 5 pc. kit with cymbals and stands fits into a 5x6 space.
    Matt

User Info Menu

WOW thats huge northern redneck, Yohin I fit my seven in to that 5 x 6 by getting clamps to mount my 8" and 13" tom to cymbal stands.

Thanks for the reply guys!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fumbled time View Post
    WOW thats huge northern redneck, Yohin I fit my seven in to that 5 x 6 by getting clamps to mount my 8" and 13" tom to cymbal stands.

Thanks for the reply guys!
    My kit could be set up in a smaller space, but I dont like to be cramped up in a small space. This way, I have plenty of room behind the kit and around the kit so Im not knocking things over to get behind it.

User Info Menu

N/R you are right I usually have to squeeve into the set. I try to atleast leave enough space so as to not hit my arm off the wall behind me.

User Info Menu

For smaller gigs I use a 20x14 rogers kick, 10" and 14" DW toms mounted on tom/cymbal stands, two cymbals, a set of hats, and a 14" snare. No need to measure it because that's as small as it's going to get.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Owens View Post

I could not disagree with this more. It doesn't matter at all the size of the kit, it's all in the drummer. I've seen some of the most boring drummers play large kits and substitute creativity for an extra tom or an extra cymbal. Believe me, if you know what you are doing you can put on a show just fine using a 4pc kit. Have you never seen Buddy Rich play before?

User Info Menu

My footprint is generally 6-7' deep and 7' wide. Doesn't matter which kit I'm gigging, because it's the cymbal stands around the kit that take up the extra space.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.