Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need you drummers advice!

User Info Menu

Default Need you drummers advice!

So I am a pretty experienced drummer, I'm not the greatest ever but I can definitely play. I am very into metal and I spend alot of my time covering metal songs if im not jamming with other musicians.

So, my question to all you metal heads out there, is what songs would you recommend I try to play?

I'll give you some bands I really like and you guys can take it from there! =] Thanks!

Veil of Maya
    Strapping Young Lad
    Born of Osiris
    WhiteChapel
    Winds of Plague
    Lamb of God
    August Burns Red
    Meshuggah
    As I Lay Dying (some)
    Black Dahlia Murder
    Between the Buried and Me
    Cannibal Corpse
    Job For a Cowboy
    Chimaira
    Dethklok =]
    Devil Driver
    Dream Theater (Not super metal but Mike Portnoy is a God)
    Emmure
    Killswitch
    Mudvayne (LD 50)
    Number Twelve Looks Like You
    Parkway Drive
    Suicide Silence

I am also huge into:
    Tool
    Chili Peppers
    RATM
    Stuff like that.

Anything is appreciated!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need you drummers advice!

Don't know any of that stuff, but System of a Down is cool drumming. Interesting without being impossibly fast, etc... A little more involved than RATM stuff for the drums. It's not "metal" but I would give it a go.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

I used to listen to SOAD back in the day, only songs I really remember are like BYOB, Mr. Jack, and Toxicity....Toxicity is the onyl song I have played and I played it the first time I listened to it without a problem, Mr. Jack if I remember is kinda slow? But I haven't listened to them in a long time so if you could give me some good songs with solid drum tracks I would greatly appreciate it!

User Info Menu

Hey, I'm a metalhead as well. Try some of these:

Slipknot:
    -People=Sh**
    -All Hope Is Gone
    -Psychosocial

Slayer:
    -Raining Blood
    -War Ensemble
    -Bloodline

Metallica:
    -Battery
    -Master of Puppets
    -Creeping Death

Megadeth
    -Skin O' My Teeth
    -Killing Is My Business
    -Architecture of Aggression

Pantera:
    -Cowboys From He**
    -He**bound

Black Label Society:
    -Suicide Messiah
    -Stillborn
    -Concrete Jungle

User Info Menu

Welcome to the board JOX............try these..................

Merle Hagard
    Garth Brooks
    Hank Williams Jr.
    Travis Tritt
    Marty Stewart

slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Gojira
    Nile
    Children of Bodom
    Opeth
    Symphony X
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JOX View Post
    I used to listen to SOAD back in the day, only songs I really remember are like BYOB, Mr. Jack, and Toxicity....Toxicity is the onyl song I have played and I played it the first time I listened to it without a problem, Mr. Jack if I remember is kinda slow? But I haven't listened to them in a long time so if you could give me some good songs with solid drum tracks I would greatly appreciate it!
    "Back in the day" is 10 years ago? I'm guessing you are younger than me

Have to ask my son about other songs, he's the fan. If you are looking for fast, it won't be. But it's pretty interesting to play, even if not super hard. When you say you played Toxicity, you mean you played along or you figured out the exact part by ear the first time you tried? The latter would be pretty impressive.

I can't really think of anything besides Metallica (old stuff) that's fast that I listen to that's metal. Punk I know.

Just remember that faster doesn't mean better or harder. A lot of metal is just standard beats played faster (as is a lot of punk). Portnoy is cool, and very fast, but when you watch him slow it down at least some of the time he's doing interesting things. (I don't know a lot of his stuff so take it with a grain of salt)
    Last edited by kaosotis; 08-27-2009 at 05:56 PM.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    Just remember that faster doesn't mean better or harder. A lot of metal is just standard beats played faster (as is a lot of punk). So you are developing speed, but not necessarily "technique". I've found that some of the most challenging stuff isn't fast at all.
    I agree completely with this statement. A lot of newer/younger drummers think they're so good because they can blast out lightning-fast double bass for five minutes straight, but in reality they've got no technique at all.
    Last edited by yohin; 08-27-2009 at 09:42 PM.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Hmm...the paragraph I just quoted doesn't seem to be there anymore....
    Matt

User Info Menu

I'm impressed when I watch Portnoy play, but I saw a video from a clinic where he did a solo and to be honest I wasn't blown away. He's fast and his technique is great and all, but he didn't do anything particularly interesting.

People complain that Peart is overhyped. He might not be the greatest drummer, but he is a great drummer and for those that dig him, he does interesting stuff in songs and his solos. Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Paige, BB King. Great guitarists, not fast at all by today's standards. Even Tom Morello isn't particularly fast, but he's just does amazing things. And for those that question Morello being in there, John Scofield said Morello was the most interesting, talented, and innovative guitarist in rock. (Spoken directly to my son's guitar teacher who is friends with his daughter).
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

"Back in the day" is 10 years ago? I'm guessing you are younger than me

Have to ask my son about other songs, he's the fan. If you are looking for fast, it won't be. But it's pretty interesting to play, even if not super hard. When you say you played Toxicity, you mean you played along or you figured out the exact part by ear the first time you tried? The latter would be pretty impressive.

I can't really think of anything besides Metallica (old stuff) that's fast that I listen to that's metal. Punk I know.

Just remember that faster doesn't mean better or harder. A lot of metal is just standard beats played faster (as is a lot of punk). Portnoy is cool, and very fast, but when you watch him slow it down at least some of the time he's doing interesting things. (I don't know a lot of his stuff so take it with a grain of salt)
    I never said faster meant better or harder...I enjoy playing intense metal because it gets me going and I get really into it.

Listen to any whitechapel song, check out messiahbiolical...and tell me it's just as easy as any standard song sped up. Sorry but people like you who say things like that seem a little silly =]

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    I agree completely with this statement. A lot of people (mostly younger drummers) think they're so good because they can blast out lightning-fast double bass for five minutes straight, but in reality they've got no technique at all.
    You honestly crack me up. Keep being ignorant and that will take you extremely far in life. Not trying to start a flame war or an argument, just my way of stating my opinion. Sounds like you're a little jealous you can't play at those speeds xD Listen to Gene Hoglan/Matt Greiner (his technique is terrible though, i'll give you that - but he crushes) any metal drummer from a really good band, not a lame mainstream metal band, but a good one, and tell me there not skilled.

And second, I never said playing fast makes you good or anything even close to those lines. I said I enjoyed metal, please if you have nothing positive or helpful to say just don't say it.

Thanks for all who offered good advice!

User Info Menu

Somebody posted this on another forum I read, and I felt it was appropritate so I wanted to post it. Also, Tom Morello is my favorite guitarist to listen to, he is so innovative with his music and does things that other people have never even tried.

Quote Originally Posted by JT1 View Post
    Only someone who doesn't play fast double bass can't really appreciate it. You don't know what it feels like to go all out in a heavy brutal part of a song whilst having the crowd head banging to your music, there is no greater feeling. I respect single pedal players and it's not always about speed but speed is important for many things though and is especially an important factor in metal and extreme metal as it adds to the intensity of a track. What i don't get is why people strive to get fast and do things on one pedal and it is totally frowned upon if you have two pedals, it's all wrong. That would be like expecting us to play single stroke rolls with one hand (even though it can be done but it's extremely difficult) when using two hands is perfectly acceptable. Why can't using 2 feet be acceptable? Sorry if this sounds like an attack i don't mean to be so defensive but saying this double bass stuff is for kids i find it very patronising as it has its major uses within the genre.

User Info Menu

Listen to some into the moat
    A set of Exports and paiste's
    Add My Band! www.myspace.com/setthesails0

User Info Menu

I never said faster meant better or harder...I enjoy playing intense metal because it gets me going and I get really into it.

Listen to any whitechapel song, check out messiahbiolical...and tell me it's just as easy as any standard song sped up. Sorry but people like you who say things like that seem a little silly =]

You honestly crack me up. Keep being ignorant and that will take you extremely far in life. Not trying to start a flame war or an argument, just my way of stating my opinion. Sounds like you're a little jealous you can't play at those speeds xD Listen to Gene Hoglan/Matt Greiner (his technique is terrible though, i'll give you that - but he crushes) any metal drummer from a really good band, not a lame mainstream metal band, but a good one, and tell me there not skilled.

And second, I never said playing fast makes you good or anything even close to those lines. I said I enjoyed metal, please if you have nothing positive or helpful to say just don't say it.

Thanks for all who offered good advice!
    You might want to scale back the sarcasm a bit. I just reread my comments and I don't think you read them carefully or maybe you read something into it that wasn't there.

I started by complimenting you about playing Toxicity right off the bat, then commented honestly that I don't know a lot of metal, more punk. I then said a lot of metal is faster standard beats. I still stand by this, at least in terms of what I've seen or heard. I'm thinking of bands like Mastadon (only one I can think of). I never said any of it was "easy", I really was just pointing out that some guys play fast and do some really interesting things (as I commented) and some don't. You might know this already, but I certainly didn't intend it to be condescending in anyway. I wasn't bashing metal, or double pedal, or playing fast, as is evidenced in what I wrote.

I'm sure you weren't being condescending either saying I sound silly, but I think it's helpful to not get "personal" about comments. Just so you know, although I have slowed a bit in my middle age, I am by no means slow. I'm an old school punk drummer, as in CBGB's in the 80's fast punk. But it was more hardcore speed than metal speed, you know. It's a different beast but just as exhausting physically.

The thing I'm finding now is that I wish I had worked on being more versatile as I played throughout my life (going on 32 years of playing). I focused so much on speed for a while, and I think there were other things I could have been focusing on. Although I'm not nearly as fast as I was, I honestly can say I'm a better drummer now.

I'm glad some other people had some bands to recommend and advice that you found helpful. Sorry I couldn't be one of them.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

You might want to scale back the sarcasm a bit. I just reread my comments and I don't think you read them carefully or maybe you read something into it that wasn't there.

I started by complimenting you about playing Toxicity right off the bat, then commented honestly that I don't know a lot of metal, more punk. I then said a lot of metal is faster standard beats. I still stand by this, at least in terms of what I've seen or heard. I'm thinking of bands like Mastadon (only one I can think of). I never said any of it was "easy", I really was just pointing out that some guys play fast and do some really interesting things (as I commented) and some don't. You might know this already, but I certainly didn't intend it to be condescending in anyway. I wasn't bashing metal, or double pedal, or playing fast, as is evidenced in what I wrote.

I'm sure you weren't being condescending either saying I sound silly, but I think it's helpful to not get "personal" about comments. Just so you know, although I have slowed a bit in my middle age, I am by no means slow. I'm an old school punk drummer, as in CBGB's in the 80's fast punk. But it was more hardcore speed than metal speed, you know. It's a different beast but just as exhausting physically.

The thing I'm finding now is that I wish I had worked on being more versatile as I played throughout my life (going on 32 years of playing). I focused so much on speed for a while, and I think there were other things I could have been focusing on. Although I'm not nearly as fast as I was, I honestly can say I'm a better drummer now.

I'm glad some other people had some bands to recommend and advice that you found helpful. Sorry I couldn't be one of them.
    I wasn't trying to attack you...my "angrier" words were directed to the other guy who I quoted underneath of you. I honestly appreciated the help and didn't mean to offend you, I apologize. To be completely honest, I had an argument with a guy about metal right before I posted this, so maybe some stuff I posted was a little more personal than needed, sorry about that, but I still stand by what I said. Mastadon is not really my kind of music, except for there new cd which is completely different and actually really creative.

User Info Menu

No problem, just was confused as I didn't think I said anything particularly bad. I can get on my high horse once in a while, so.... I'm sure right about some metal drumming being hard, just trying to steer you towards a broader base of what you play since I know I wish I had when I was younger.

Like I said, I don't know a lot of new metal. Not thrilled by Mastadon either. Kids at the local music store play it all the time. Not into the growl/scream kind of vocals. IMHO can ruin some cool music for me. Some the playing I like, but then the vocals kick in and, meh!

DamageDrummer is the big metal head here. He's in a band that opens for national acts and always names bands I've never heard of. He's probably your best resource. Maybe PM him? He's a great guy too and I'm sure will help. He sent a link on youtube to some metal band that, while goofy with their makeup, etc..., was pretty cool musically.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

You honestly crack me up. Keep being ignorant and that will take you extremely far in life.
    Well obviously I must still have a lot to learn. And you, as a superior drummer with much more experience, are very kind to point out in such a nice manner where I may be misinformed or have faulty reasoning.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    Well obviously I must still have a lot to learn. And you, as a superior drummer with much more experience, are very kind to point out in such a nice manner where I may be misinformed or have faulty reasoning.
    Sarcasm is like a second language to me so high five!

Do you possibly know what band it might have been?

Old Mudvayne during the LD50 album wore facepaint and they were amazing.

Behemoth? Slipknot? Lol Idk if you remember please let me know!

User Info Menu

The band wasn't any of those Jox. I'm sure of that. Like I said, just PM damagedrummer. I'm sure he'll have tons of recommendations. I don't think it will come to me because it was just one video.

BTW, before you get too high on metal drumming and speed, I used to play 3 hour shows when I was playing all the time. We're talking 50-60 songs with a few breaks or slower songs. I'm old now so Sat. we're only playing 49! But most aren't too fast, although we tend to play everything faster. Wish me luck, hopefully I won't pass out on the drive home!!!!
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Sarcasm is like a second language to me so high five!

Do you possibly know what band it might have been?

Old Mudvayne during the LD50 album wore facepaint and they were amazing.

Behemoth? Slipknot? Lol Idk if you remember please let me know!
    (No sarcasm this time)

Looking back on my post, I didn't make this clear enough so I apologize.

I was not referring to any professional drummers. I was referring to young new drummers who are just starting, and launch right into learning fast double bass and metal and that's all they care about learning.

I definitely was not aiming that comment at you or any professional drummer. Admittedly it didn't have anything really to do with the original topic, but Kaos's comment just made me think of it and I have a habit of saying what's on my mind right when I think of it.

It wasn't intended as an insult or a generalization about metal drummers, just a side comment.
    Matt

User Info Menu

both members need to kill the sarcasm, trust me.

jox: you have a good list already dude, bands like white chapel, devildriver and mudvayne have very advanced techniques that you could benefit from for sure. if you are into slipknot/joey jordasins stuff then that may be right up your alley also. i personally learned alot from the old pantera albums. good luck with this
    Last edited by DamageDrummer; 08-27-2009 at 09:57 PM.

User Info Menu

The band wasn't any of those Jox. I'm sure of that. Like I said, just PM damagedrummer. I'm sure he'll have tons of recommendations. I don't think it will come to me because it was just one video.

BTW, before you get too high on metal drumming and speed, I used to play 3 hour shows when I was playing all the time. We're talking 50-60 songs with a few breaks or slower songs. I'm old now so Sat. we're only playing 49! But most aren't too fast, although we tend to play everything faster. Wish me luck, hopefully I won't pass out on the drive home!!!!
    Hey us older dudes can still hang with the youngsters bro..It's just that stuff we didn't even know we had hurts the next morning.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zzzdanz View Post
    Hey us older dudes can still hang with the youngsters bro..It's just that stuff we didn't even know we had hurts the next morning.

User Info Menu

Mudvayne stuff is really good!..that's some seriously solid drumming...

I'm digging the snot outta that band you played with DD (or are gonna play with)..motorgrader (sp)...If I wasn't a computer moron I'ld burn all there stuff

User Info Menu

yeah motograter is in september, that show is already sold out. so alot of others like them too. the lead singer now sings for five finger death punch.