Thread: Talk about Bongo's!

User Info Menu

Default Talk about Bongo's!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8lLBCJmdlI"]YouTube - alpay dinletir bongo solo[/ame]

Check this guy out! Wow!

Oh... Let's talk about Bongo's.

I have a Matador Bongo and I think they are way to heavy ... so they are on stands.
    LP Matador Quinto and Conga w/stands and matching Matador Bongos.

"Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning."

User Info Menu

Default Re: Talk about Bongo's!

WE BE JAMMIN! nice chops.

User Info Menu

Johnny Rodriguez is an animal! And I mean that in a good way!
    Here's a video with Johnny tearing up the bongos with a couple of local stars!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhoe7SKHkTA"]YouTube - Peraza, Vilato, Dandy & Montalvo Percussion Tribute Show[/ame]

User Info Menu

The late Ivan Caceres. One of my favorites youtube teachers.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5IIbEFMMMU"]YouTube - Bongo Players Video Series Iván Cáceres[/ame]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by giadan0914 View Post
    The late Ivan Caceres. One of my favorites youtube teachers.
    YouTube - Bongo Players Video Series Iván Cáceres
    I really enjoyed that one! Speaking of mule skins mine are in the bathtub waiting to be put on my bongo's this evening.

User Info Menu

THANKS - Good stuff guys!

So much to learn - so little time (on the planet)
    Gary

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Talk about Bongo's!

Amen to that last comment on Ivan Caceres, leedy2...definitely one of the great bongoseros...

BC, there's a reason the best bongos are heavy; in Latin bands, the bongosero often doubles on cowbell (you may recall LP makes a Bongo Cowbell). The bongo man, usually playing seated, often drops his bongos to the floor to pick up the cowbell for that part. A few drops too many would split the shells, warp the rims, and tear up the bongo heads (somethin' you don't want during a major jam), so most bongos are built tough and heavy to stand that abuse.

It makes them hard as heck to hold between your knees, man--but that's why they make bongo stands!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post

It makes them hard as heck to hold between your knees, man--but that's why they make bongo stands!
    I hear ya! I love my bongo stand!

User Info Menu

very nice collection leedy.. and excellent videos
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by leedy2 View Post
    some thing just to keep talking just a few from my collection
    Hey Leedy, with as huge of a collection as you have, do you have a favorite set of bongos out of the bunch? One that you would never trade for anything in the world?

User Info Menu

What do you think about this guy. Few people bashed him say he's playing mexican guitar? Don't get it, I thougth he was good. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkDJU32AEAQ"]YouTube - King of Bongos[/ame]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    Hey Leedy, with as huge of a collection as you have, do you have a favorite set of bongos out of the bunch? One that you would never trade for anything in the world?
    Yeah Cuco, what's your favorite?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
    What do you think about this guy. Few people bashed him say he's playing mexican guitar? Don't get it, I thougth he was good. YouTube - King of Bongos
    Quick hands, sounds cool to me.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=leedy2;242126]

fishkiller: I know him he has tremendos speed he is from india plays a great tabla his finger are so lose from playing tabla. witch is played with fingers.willie is one of the few tabla players here in us. you find him in every Indian dance and concerts
    QUOTE]

I thought he had some tabla background, he definitely has the speed down!

I have always heard great things about Pan con Queso, I rarely see them pop up for sale though, definitely something I'll look out for in the future.

User Info Menu

I really like his style and sound. I'll never come close to playing like that, especially because my left hand and fingers are way slower than my right. Thats cool you guys know him.

User Info Menu

Was this on the metal rim or the wooden shell, leedy? Sounds almost like the "cascara" played on the timbale shells to me ... sounds cool, too...

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Leedy, thanks for sharing that video clip with ms. The martillo in the first half was really tasty, and the mambo example (plus that illustration) makes it easy to try.

Gracias, mi hermano bongosero!

Charlie