Thread: Practice too much?

User Info Menu

Default Practice too much?

OK, maybe a dumb question... is it better to structure a fixed amount of time to practice, or is it a good idea to use whatever time you have as long as it's productive? I guess a balance is important, but I'm interested to know how long people here practice on average...

Jamie.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Practice too much?

I usually do an hour a day though it should be structuered IMHO it is not. And we do a 3 hr band practice once a week.

User Info Menu

I think as long as you're doing something productive and gaining ground, play as much as possible, but there are definitely times when your mind just needs a break. But my theory is the more time you spend behind your kit, the more comfortable you're going to be and it will just be that much easier for you to be creative. When i was in highschool i use to spend 6-7 hours a day 3-4 days a week on my kit. I'm glad i did, i just wish i wold have done it more ha ha!
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

Forever I am Forgiven, and Forever, I will Rejoice.

User Info Menu

I think 2 to 3 hours a day is a good goal to shoot for. I've practiced 8 to 10 hours before but it's hard to keep that up daily.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fades Away View Post
    When i was in highschool i use to spend 6-7 hours a day 3-4 days a week on my kit. I'm glad i did, i just wish i wold have done it more ha ha!
    How is it possible to spend 7 hours on drums and go to school in that same day? Did you not do anything else?
    Matt

User Info Menu

Ha, that's what I was wondering... How were your grades in your other subjects - if there were any

Jamie.

User Info Menu

I dont practice on my kit anymore, heck my band doesnt practice anymore. My band plays a minimum of 3, 4 hour shows a week.

User Info Menu

I practice in blocks each day. I do around half and hour then go away do something else come back later play some more. I usal do this 2 or 3 times a day. Sometimes a block can be 2 hours or more.
    Our weapons were our instruments
    Made from timber and steel
    We never yielded to conformity
    But stood like kings
    In a chariot that's riding on a
    Record wheel

User Info Menu

i do about 2 hours a day off and on .....and 2 hour band practice once a week....................i want to practice more but i get burned out playing the same thing

User Info Menu

depends sometimes I spend 5 mins on the pad or 30min to 1hr on the kit.
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Jamie ,the mre you practice , the quicker you learn and you get better at what you are trying to achieve .

When I first started , I would play for about 5 hours a day ( that was over 30 years ago ).

Now with a family and other responsibilities it may be during the week when the kids are getting ready for bed and I sneak downstairs for about an hour . There are the occasional week-end jams that will last 2-3 hours .
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

I scanned the posts, good points by all. It comes down to you and the time you have, but I do lean to FadesAway thinking. I would just suggest practice when you have the time, mix it up a bit {re what you are practicing}, and at times just zone out in front of the TV and twirl your sticks to keep the finger muscles limber.
    Currently electronics, with some "real" cymbals and a few accesories.