Thread: Racks in General...Your opinion?

User Info Menu

Default Racks in General...Your opinion?

I came here tonight to talk about racks and noticed Larry's post so instead of talking about a specific rack, I wanted to offer my view of racks in general.

To start with, I'm totally for using racks. For most of my drumming experience, I've had tripod stands and had to dedicate one stand per cymbal.
    The amount of floor space that takes up is incredibly large and getting the stands to 'mingle' nicely is next to impossible. I like a lot of drums and a lot of cymbals with influences from Peart and bands like Star Castle, Styx, TOTO and Chicago. Think of the amount of weight you are also hauling around with that many tripods.

Now I will say if you are more simplistic in your setup such as Lesizmor, a rack is probaby not a good option.

But if you like to have 5 or more cymbals and 2 or more up toms, you should really consider the convenience of a rack over stands. Most importantly if you have mounted "floor" toms and even more so if you mic your drums.

The foot print left by a rack is barely the area used up by the shells. Nothing protrudes too far away so you can take up less space as well as give more consideration to band mates and their speaker cabinets.

I can't say that a rack will save you any money because you still need to have a clamp, memory lock (Optional) and a boom arm or tom clamp per item. In comparison to the cost of a quality boom/cymbal stand you should really save a few bucks after you've absorbed the cost of the rack. But considering the cost of the rack you have probably paid about the same money over all either way you go.

The biggest benefits I see are less things to carry which translates into less trips from vehicle to stage and back. Further, less weight and fewer cases / bags to carry.

Setup is quicker and more convenient. You can also clamp microphone stands to it of any configuration. I am able to even use a side wing to support the snare instead of a snare stand for it. More room for double bass pedal or double bass, itself.

With the way I've got my rack setup, it's all that touches the floor other than my floor toms, bass drum and pedal setup, throne and hats stand. I have 2 Crash cymbals, 1 Splash cymbal, 1 22" Ride Cymbal, 1 18" china and a cowbell. I also have 3 mic boom stands clamped to it.

Finally I believe they are ever expandable and add-ons are far less expensive than to add another stand for a new cymbal or percussion device.

What I don't like about a rack is...

I hope this provokes much thought and conversation and I encourage both pro and con opinions on this topic.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Default Re: Racks in General...Your opinion?

I like drum racks but only for house gigs or if I'm playing large venues on a regular basis. Otherwise, I like the flexibility of stands. You can work them into smaller stages better and I can carry my drumkit in my car. With a rack, I would probably need a truck or SUV to haul everything around.

User Info Menu

I like both racks and stands(I have never owned a rack/cost) but like the setup simplicity. In the case of stands I cut down space with attachable cymbal arms and toms clamps, I only have 4 stands. 1 high hat and 3 cymbal. The 1st cymbal stand (boom) holds a 14" crash, a 16" crash(add on arm), and a clamp holding a tom(8"). the 2nd stand holds a tom(13"), a 20" ride and an 18"crash/ride(add on arm) and the last stand just holds a 18" crash/ride. I would get a rack if I upgrade to a better set, but for now this low end kit will do the way it is. The total floor space is less than 5' deep X 6' wide.

User Info Menu

I prefer racks over stands...for the reasons stated by Bish..(i.e., multiple cymbals/toms, etc...)...however, if I was going to just take two toms and a couple of cymbals to a gig I'd probably go the stand route..
    Last edited by scorch whammin; 08-29-2009 at 07:52 AM.

User Info Menu

I'm 100% pro-rack. IMO it's so much faster to set up and tear down, with endless configurations.I have no problem fitting my 3 sided rack and all my drums 8-10-12-13-14-16 and 24 bd in my car.(chrysler 300m/with the back seats down.Have to have the 24 on the front pass. seat sucks trying to see.

They don't take up as much room as some may think.And like Bish says trying to get a bunch of tri-pods to fit together where you want them is a pain.I've had a rack so long now I don't think I have any tri-pods (threw them out,who would want just the bottom of a stand?).

The only thing I've ever had a problem with was clearance using a 24" BD the toms are up a bit high.I had a cpl straight sections of tube sitting around and just cut them and used them for taller legs.

They need to come out with a rack w/adjustable legs to gain some height if needed, like a big cymbal stand type of leg.1 tube inside another or w/e. instead of having to buy longer tubes if needed.

As for smaller kits, I'ld still use a smaller rack set up, with the cymbal booms already in the legs.It would take longer to carry and un-pack the kit than it would to set it up.

User Info Menu

I'm a huge fan of racks myself...

errr..wait you're talking drum racks? cant help ya there never had one

http://bipolarbarbierocks.com

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Quit belly aching and just do it...no other way.
    - RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Tried a rack and just didn't care for the thing... That's not saying
    good/bad, Just not for me personally. I'm pleased to know it works
    for some and equally pleased to know it doesn't for others. I remember
    when they first put a coke in a plastic bottle... Didn't and don't care
    for that- Soooooooo... Ya' know
    Q-Would you buy another one if it were stolen?
    A-Well yeah... But, I'd probly turn into a homicidal maniac first!

User Info Menu

I see pros and cons to racks, although I do own one. Similar to what Drummer said, I normally have it set up at my band's practice space and just leave it there.. I love the rack itself, but the side arms on mine are a bit long, as you and I have discussed before Bish.

I can set up stands just as quickly as my rack too. I guess the more you gig the more you find ways to do things more efficiently, but that's been the case with me. I always set up the same way, so I know exactly which stand goes where, and how far from the drums. It becomes kind of second nature. So what I perceived initially as being a big advantage to having a rack has been pretty much negated in my mind.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

racks look awesome. but i want to stack them and make a cage so i can isolate my cymbals
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Can't argue the practicality of them especially for the monster kits and such. But for me, where I am in my life and career as drummer, I'm looking to downsize and simplify. I'll prolly stick with a few light tripods. Gets the job done. Easy in, easy out.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I like both really....on a case by case basis. First, I believe you need to have MORE than a 5 piece to use a rack...otherwise it just doesn't look right. 5 or less, stands look better, especially if you are using 1 up.

And if it's a large set up with tons of pies it just makes sense to use one for portability.

But I love the look of stands too...just takes up more room.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

Larrysperf Guest

First off I wish I could write like you Bish,your very very good. Second at first I got very peeved with rack but once I got it set up I will never go back to stands. My rack takes up less room and holds eveything I want. So Im pro rack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    First off I wish I could write like you Bish,your very very good. Second at first I got very peeved with rack but once I got it set up I will never go back to stands. My rack takes up less room and holds eveything I want. So Im pro rack
    Don't you hate people that can write exactly what they think or feel in detail?
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

so.. anyone got the lowdown on the pros on cons of their rack system?
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I currently have my kit racked, not only for space reasons, but also because I thought it would be easier to move and set up at the church. I do agree that depending on the confirguration, stands might also make sense. I was showing my son the kit that I was saving for him (yep, I got the drum bug to bite him while he was here), and I played it with just hi-hats, a ride, and a crash (it's a 5 piece). It was a nice compact configuration, and I needed minimal stands. In that case, a rack would have been out of place.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Racks Rock! Nice to walk into a club and just open the rack, all the cymbal boom arms are attached for easy set up. But like a lot of peeps have said, depends on size of kit you are bringing. No need for over kill if you don't have too. Love a nice rack!!

User Info Menu

i have a 13 piece so believe me when i say my life would be impossible without the rack im using. it's truly heavensent and leaves a place to put my tuning key, my module, not to mention cymbals toms and anything else to add in the future. i was also noticing a significant increase in bass drum resonance after i took the toms off and mounted onto the bars. it's lightweight, big, nonslip, and adjustable; i can't think of a single reason not to get one. once you go rack, you never go back..
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I want a rack very much... I've only got four stands and in the drum room there is very limited space so I keep knocking over cymbal stands with my feet, it's pretty annoying lol
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Oddly when I took lessons, my teacher had a Pearl ICON rack for his kit, and his friend had a comparable sized-kit that used only stands.

The specs: both kits were Yamaha Recording Customs purchased sometime in the mid 1980s. When seated, both were from L to R:

13"x11" (to left of hihat)
    8"X8", 10"x9", 12"x10" over 22"x16" kick
    14"x12" and 16"x14" suspended toms

The fellow who used stands, the friend, used three of these:

The one to the far left held only the 13" tom.

The one just to the right of the hats held the 8" tom, a 16" crash, and an 8" splash.

He then used the Yamaha 3-hole bass drum mount to hold the 10" and 12" toms, as well as a 10" splash.

To the right, the last of the three tripods held a 21" ride, an 18" crash, and with a two-hole bass drum mount inserted into the third hole, held the 14" and 16" toms. The 18" crash was mounted low, just above the two low toms. An attachment allowed a 16" china to ride above.

I helped this fellow move this kit around a few times. It was not that difficult at all.

My teacher, who used the ICON rack, never really moved this kit. It sits in his shop in the same spot where it's been for about a decade now.

There is a lot more stuff strewn about- two rides rather than one, two remote hats, a timbale, two more splashes, two more chinas- and yes, it was marginally easier to vacuum around.

That being said, the set on stands took roughly fifteen minutes to tear down and pack. It also allows for a solid third of the kit to be picked up and moved, if need be, in a matter of seconds.

I've never attempted to pull an entire rack directly backwards, say. But I know if I value my back I wouldn't try it with the kit described.

I personally use stands, but if you look under my profile, the size of my kit should make that quite understandable.

As far as racks go, it's like talking about the suspension system of a bicycle, and for that, more information is needed. Is a dual-shock mountain bike the best? If you're jumping over creeks, sure.

But is that same bike the fastest on smooth pavement? The fellow on the carbon-fiber thin-tired bike may disagree.

If one is inclined to go for a rack, the only thing I'm dead-set on is that it is a bad, bad idea to get one that has smooth circular tubing. Why? Because the market offers hex and rectangular-shaped racks, and the shape of these greatly reduce the potential for accidental slippage. Otherwise, it's best to be in the habit of routinely checking that nothing has loosened due to sympathetic vibrations.

A loosely related thought: a rack system inherently connects basically everything but the kick drum, snare, and hats, although I have seen some instances where the latter two have been integrated, and if you were inclined, I'm sure something exists to prevent the kick drum from wandering. Anyway, with everything connected like so, there is potential for "crosstalk", wherein one piece of the kit can cause other members to resonate. I understand Yamaha, if not other manufacturers, have placed foam inside the tubing to reduce this, which if one is recording I can imagine would be maddening.

My apologies if I've repeated information previously posted, I got about five posts in before the anecdote of my teacher and his friend popped into my head.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Has anyone made a mini-rack: a tube connecting two cymbal stands (one on each side of the kick) and using Pearl-type tom holders? The new "toms-hanging-off-a-cymbal stand" style shown with some better drum kits just looks too unbalanced to me. Also the price would be low, if you have the cymbal stands already, just the tube and 4 clamps. The advantage here would be to avoid "holing"or stressing the shell of the kick.
    Last edited by slinglander; 03-25-2010 at 01:35 PM. Reason: terminology change

User Info Menu

i use a gibraltor rack, i wish i had a pearl icon though, its pretty good, but it is a pain too transport, for gigs, my dad drives me in his huge gmc suv its like a truck sized suv my drum set just fits even with the backseats removed cause even with all the stands taken off the rack takes up so much room

if you play like a 4 peice set with 2 crashes a ride and a hihat, a rack would be inconivent and it wouldnt look good

but if you play like a 5,6,7,and larger set up with like 3 crashes a ride a hihat a china a splash a rack would be much more convient and look much better
    Pearl Vision VX jet black
    Aquarian heads (Focus-X, Performance IIs, Super Kick II)
    Pearl Free Floating Maple Snare
    Vic-Firth 5B
    Pearl Eliminators
    Roc N Soc throne

14" Paiste Signature sound edge hi-hats
    16" Paiste Signature full crash
    18" Paiste Signature full crash
    20" Zildjian K custom dark ride
    20" Paiste RUDE china

In bands: Frame of Mind, and Become The Catalyst

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Frame-...7982037?ref=ts