Thread: Mic cords(what works best?)

User Info Menu

Question Mic cords(what works best?)

I have a set of mics on the way and was wondering what type of cords to get. Not name brand but ends, There are standard stereo jack and xlrs. The advantage to XLR's is that you can buy connections to make them stereo if needed(I haven't seen stereo to xlr jacks). My question is does the XLr style have better contact and durability than the standard stereo jacks. Thanks for you input.
    Last edited by fumbled time; 09-02-2009 at 09:46 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mic cords(what works best?)

Do you mean XLR. If so, then this is what you want to use because they are what is known as "balanced" as opposed to the 1/4" or RCA style plugs, which are called"unbalanced". Xlr's give a better signal to noise ratio, don't induce as much noise onto them, and you can have longer cable runs without signal degradation. XLR all the way!
    Hope this helps!

User Info Menu

Russ speaks the truth.

User Info Menu

LOL,Yes I did XLR's and I corrected my spelling thanks for the info.

User Info Menu

Well another cord question, when it comes to quality how many strands are to little? I saw a deal on 10-10' cords(XLR) for 50.00 (12 strand cords). Are these cords worth of wear and tear or should one get something a little more spendy/quality. The other two cord prices are 20.00 ea.($140.00 for the 7 needed) or 15.00 ea.($105.00)?

User Info Menu

I've used both hi-end and economy cables and don't notice a bit of difference in quality or reliability.

I did want to address the cord to mic arrangement. In my experience, your mic's force the issue on cord selection. You should always use Lo-Z (low impedence or XLR) for any live event micing. Hi-Z or high impedence is usually the lesser quality lesser ability type of micing that you would use with home stereos, headset communications, etc.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Actually, Balanced and Unbalanced have nothing to do with the connector types, not even with the number of 'veins' (dont know how else to put it in English). Balanced cables have 3 veins, and they are each used in a specific way. (hot signal, cold signal (inverted) and mass or shield) You can either connect them trough an XLR connector, or a stereojack connector, but that is normally not used for balanced cables.
    Unbalanced cables only need 2 veins, therefore monojack cables are most commonly used.

Stereo only means 2 different independent channels, mostly Right-Left when the word 'stereo' is used. You can transfer 2 different signals/ a stereo signal trough a cable with 3 veins, because the vein used as mass to protect the actual signal is the same. Stereojack normally takes use of this principle, but you could use an XLR connector too, if you would disire.

User Info Menu

Thanks for you input guys, i sure enjoy this site!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bafke View Post
    Actually, Balanced and Unbalanced have nothing to do with the connector types, not even with the number of 'veins' (dont know how else to put it in English). Balanced cables have 3 veins, and they are each used in a specific way. (hot signal, cold signal (inverted) and mass or shield) You can either connect them trough an XLR connector, or a stereojack connector, but that is normally not used for balanced cables.
    Unbalanced cables only need 2 veins, therefore monojack cables are most commonly used.

Stereo only means 2 different independent channels, mostly Right-Left when the word 'stereo' is used. You can transfer 2 different signals/ a stereo signal trough a cable with 3 veins, because the vein used as mass to protect the actual signal is the same. Stereojack normally takes use of this principle, but you could use an XLR connector too, if you would disire.
    Good information Bafke. I will add that then you see a 1/4 tip with 2 rings on it, it is the stereo or balanced cable. Commonly you see it on headphone cables, for instance.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Good information Bafke. I will add that then you see a 1/4 tip with 2 rings on it, it is the stereo or balanced cable. Commonly you see it on headphone cables, for instance.
    Indeed. Both Mono and stereojack come in different sizes too. the standard for 'pro audio' is the 6.35mm(1/4") jack, then you have the 3.5mm jack, as you need for mp3 players etc, and you have the 2.5mm jack, but that one is least of all used.

Stereojack is also commonly used for inserts. An 'Insert Cable' is connected to the insert socket on the mixer with a stereojack, and on the other end of the cable you have 2 monojacks or XLR connectors, but if they are XLR connectors, 2 pins are used as shield and only one transfers the signal, so that is not the standard way of connecting an XLR connector and the signal is not balanced. Those 2 connectors then connect to the in and output of a gate, limiter, compressor or effects unit.

User Info Menu

I'll take one of everything!
    How much for the whole place?