Thread: **Bass Drum Porting**

User Info Menu

Question **Bass Drum Porting**

Sorry guys, I know there are probably tons of threads about this but the Search thing has not been working for me for the past 3 days.

Okay, so I had a volume problem with my bass drum(it wasn`t loud enough) and I took the pillow out that I had in the drum and it kind of solved the problem but now it resonates more and isn`t that punchy.

I want my bass drum to have a fat punchy/poppy sound with not too much resonance.
    Also will porting the reso make a difference in the volume? If so by how much?
    How big should I make the port hole?

I want it to sound like this.
    I know that this guy has his Bdrum mic`ed up but but this is what I`m aiming for.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8gdIci8XPk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8gdIci8XPk[/ame]

BTW my reso head is a Pearl Stock head and batter is Aquarian Superkick II
    The drum shell material is birch
    Thanks
    Last edited by Nik276; 08-31-2009 at 12:15 AM.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/UrFunny767

Drums:
    Pearl Vision Birch
    22x18 Kick
    Pearl Sensitone Steel Snare 14x5.5
    12x9,13x10,16x16 Toms

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Custom 16in Crash
    Sabian XS20 16in Medium Thin Crash
    Zildjian A Armand 10in Splash
    Wuhan 16in China
    Zildjian ZBT 14in Hats (I hate it)
    Zildjian ZBT 20in Ride (I hate it)

Hardware:
    Pearl Eliminator Demon Drive Single Kick Pedal
    Crappy PDP Cymbal Stands

User Info Menu

Default Re: **Bass Drum Porting**

I keep getting an error on the video! But I know what you mean, Ports are great for miking and to be able to adjust the pillow to get the sound you want. They acctualy sell porting kits so if you look it up I'm sure you'll see the avarage size for the port hole. Just don'y get to close to the side and try not to make it close to a lug.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fumbled time View Post
    I keep getting an error on the video! But I know what you mean, Ports are great for miking and to be able to adjust the pillow to get the sound you want. They acctualy sell porting kits so if you look it up I'm sure you'll see the avarage size for the port hole. Just don'y get to close to the side and try not to make it close to a lug.
    Yeah, the video isn`t working for me either but if you click on the video twice, it takes you to YouTube and you can watch it there.
    Yeah, I looked it up on google and found out the hole is supposed to at least 2 inches away from the edge from 4-6 inches big. Any bigger than that is the same as not having a reso.
    But I don`t fully understand the effects of it.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/UrFunny767

Drums:
    Pearl Vision Birch
    22x18 Kick
    Pearl Sensitone Steel Snare 14x5.5
    12x9,13x10,16x16 Toms

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Custom 16in Crash
    Sabian XS20 16in Medium Thin Crash
    Zildjian A Armand 10in Splash
    Wuhan 16in China
    Zildjian ZBT 14in Hats (I hate it)
    Zildjian ZBT 20in Ride (I hate it)

Hardware:
    Pearl Eliminator Demon Drive Single Kick Pedal
    Crappy PDP Cymbal Stands

User Info Menu

Well it lets a little more air out so that cuts down the sustain, But mainly its for micking, padding adjustment, and looks! I have an evans EQ pad in minewhich velcroes to the bottom so it doesn't move around when transporting drum. I like the E-pad because it rests against the head and quickly leaves the head when hit and then returns to stop the overtones, I put window instulation on the inside of the reso head to tone it down(didn't like it open or with a pillow against it) and am very satisfied with the thump it now has.