Thread: I have no idea how to tune.

User Info Menu

Default I have no idea how to tune.

I got my drums about two days ago. I can do nothing with them yet, but I intend to learn. But for one thing, I was going to tune them, but I have no idea how! I need to know if anyone can type me a small guide on tuning?

I need to know basically everything. Haha.

Thanks,

Thelios(D)

User Info Menu

Follow this link Thelious:

http://www.drumsdatabase.com/tuning-drums.htm

It's got a ton of stuff on tuning.

User Info Menu

Default Re: I have no idea how to tune.

HI Thelious and welcome to the DC. I will try to explain in a very short format how to tune or basic tuning. First unloosen your top head till the ring or hoop is loose. Then start turning tension rods with finger till tight ( finger tight) do this from the side by turning the rods with your fingertips, now take your drum key and in a criss cross pattern give a full turn all aroung the rods. Once this is accomplished hit the drum with a stick and what you will hear is the lowest pitch of the drum. Now take stick or key and tap about 1 inch from the hoop on the head and try to equal out the tone but turning up or down and once you have gone around the head and it sound all the same then you are done. If this is not your sound then turn it up 1/4 of a turn at a time at each lug till you hit the desired pitch or sound that you like. Remember everytime you turn a rod you have to do the tap test all around. Hope this is not too confusing. You do the same with the reso head. Some may give the reso head an extra turn but for you try to keep both heads tuned in the same matter till you get more experienced. After doing a few heads you will get to the point where you will be able to tune just by the feel of the key like myself without tapping but learn it both ways. Good luck

User Info Menu

If you're more a visual person, look up Bob Gatzen on YouTube, he has some great videos on tuning. They have helped me immensely!

Gretsch catalina maple in cherry red (fusion)
    Zildjian -18" ZBT crash
    14" ZBT crash
    20" ZBT ride
    Sabian -14" B8 hats
    Dream - 10" splash
    LP jam block
    Meinl tambourine
    Remo roto toms

Evans heads:
    toms-frosted EC2 SST
    snare-coated power center reverse dot
    bass-clear EMAD w/large ring

Ludwig hardware
    Pacific HH stand
    Pork Pie Big Boy Bicycle Throne

User Info Menu

Yes Bob is good but the only thing is you gotta have patience with YouTube which takes so long to run the video. It starts good ,then it pauses then it goes again then pauses never had the patience to wait around to see any video on YouTube. Maybe it's me and my server or is it the way it is?

dave0549jv Guest

Quote Originally Posted by clrizz View Post
    If you're more a visual person, look up Bob Gatzen on YouTube, he has some great videos on tuning. They have helped me immensely!
    +1 these are the best videos ive found so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Yes Bob is good but the only thing is you gotta have patience with YouTube which takes so long to run the video. It starts good ,then it pauses then it goes again then pauses never had the patience to wait around to see any video on YouTube. Maybe it's me and my server or is it the way it is?
    I rarely have problems loading. you might just have a slower connection.

User Info Menu

good advise over there
    welcome to drumchat Thelios(D) and to the drum world

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post

The whole start/stop/restart/etc. thing gets old, yes.
    It's almost always an issue with your connection, or your route to YouTube's servers.
    If you have a 4GB+ download speed, you'll almost never see it.

At home, I currently have a 'slow by today's standards' connection, and if I want to watch anything
    recorded in more than 380p resolution, I usually let the whole video buffer up 'first.' to not get stutters.

Click the link for a video, wait for it to 'start' playing, then hit pause.
    Go make a sandwich or something. When you come back, watch your video.

You can see the progress of the buffering. It will be the red shaded part, beyond your current position:
    .............................Buffered/ Unbuffered------------>

Wait until the shaded part gets to the end, or 3/4 way or so, before playing.
    Last edited by Crosswire; 09-04-2010 at 03:03 PM.
    2003 Mapex Limited Edition Artist Select
    8,10,12,14 and 16 toms in natural finish
    22x18 kick - 13" Black Panther snare
    Mostly Sabian and Meinl cymbals, with 22" Zildjian Amir ride

User Info Menu

I agree with the suggestion for the Bob Gatzen videos, they're immensely helpful even for non-beginners. And videos on Youtube get "stuck" for me sometimes but not often. Usually only if they're like 720p hi-def vids.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum Thelios! Great advice here, and just alot of patientce and practice. best of luck F/T

User Info Menu

all you need is a loooooooot of patience i just got my new kit and gave up tuning it 3 times and had to restart 3 times cause i rushed it. btw it took about 3hours in all

P.S its a 7 piece and its off tap xD

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Locky 305!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by clrizz View Post
    Welcome to Drum Chat.

+1 on seeking out Bob Gatzen for tuning insight. He also has a DVD on tuning and everything else about drum sound and design that's very good. Much more in depth than what's on youtube.

I can't emphasize enough on the patience thing that everyone here has mentioned. We've all been there and I guarantee none of us learned how to tune overnight.
    Last edited by DrummerD; 09-06-2010 at 12:46 AM.