Thread: Odd sounding?

User Info Menu

Default Odd sounding?

So today, two days after I bought them, was the first time I really had time to sit down and beat on my drums a little bit. And it seems like all of them (Its a 5 piece.) except the snare sound like bass. I am no expert at drums or anything, but I think that they sound a bit off. Like, I listen to alot of The Academy Is and stuff like that, and it seems like their drums dont sound soo much like bass on everyone besides the snare.

Any ideas? Is it a tuning problem or what?

Thanks,

Thelios(D)

User Info Menu

try tuning your snare higher. Hey, and Welcome!
    "Music is always an experiment."

User Info Menu

Did you click on your snare?

If not, theres a little lever, on the side of your snare, if its up your snare is on, if not, it will sound like a tom

If it is on, and your still not hearing a snare noise, by the lever there is usually a piece you can screw, to tighten the snare wire

If that dosnt tighten it enough, un screw that pretty loose, go to the other side of the snare, loosen the bar holding your wire, have someone pull the snare wire, and then tighten the piece back up, turn on your snare, and try that, you may have to tighten your snare screw piece again though

User Info Menu

ya, thighten the snares, or maybe it's just altogether bad... but it's highly unlikely that you wont get snare resonance. Snare wirres need to be tight, then it makes it super sensitive and you get snare resonance even when you play really soft. to me, the resonant head (bottom head) is always going to be thight even on the toms. i find that this gives all of your drums supreme resonance. and then all you need to worry about is how tight your top head is, for me i have my toms pretty low, and my snare tight so they sort of off-set eachother. But that is entirely your call.

User Info Menu

yeah these guys got it right, i like my snare head to be sligtly looser then the head i hit, and i like that one uber tight
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

I thought he said everything except the snare sounded bad....
    The egg approves!