Thread: I have a question...

PearlDrummer18 Guest

Default I have a question...

This is likely a stupid question but i'll ask it anyway. I did a search and didn't find a straight answer so i hope someone will reply. How often should i change my cymbal sleeves? And what do i need to look for to know that they are wore out? I really want to avoid keyholeing on my cymbals. Again, sorry for the question but it's something that i wanted know. Thanks in advance for any information.

User Info Menu

Default Re: I have a question...

Jeff, it's a simple one. Replace them only when they're worn. Their purpose is to protect the cymbal and keep it from rattling so unless they're worn all the way through, you're good.

User Info Menu

Funny, I just bought new ones today 4 for $4 and The old ones were shot(no keyholing). So when they look bad(mine were worn through)lol.

User Info Menu

You don't need to replace them unless they're worn out. The other day I pulled a cymbal off its stand, and when I went to put it back on, it wouldn't fit back over the sleeve because the sleeve was so warped.

That's when you know you gotta get new sleeves lol.
    Matt

PearlDrummer18 Guest

Thanks fellas!! They are not worn all the way through but they have peel marks on them (that's the only way i can describe it) and when i take the cymbal off the stand the sleeve wants to stay with the cymbal. I'll replace them anyway just to help my conscious. Thanks again for the help!!

User Info Menu

That was actually a pretty good question.

KUDOS
    Signature here

User Info Menu

OK then, I have a stupid question for you(Newbie drummer). What is a cymbal sleeve, what does it do and why would I want them?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by qball68 View Post
    OK then, I have a stupid question for you(Newbie drummer). What is a cymbal sleeve, what does it do and why would I want them?
    A cymbal sleeve fits over the part of the stand where the cymbal is placed, and stays between the cymbal and the metal stand. This prevents metal-on-metal contact which lessens the possibility of keyholing.
    Matt

User Info Menu

if you dont like the sleeves and/or wing nuts, try these:
    Last edited by DamageDrummer; 11-10-2011 at 09:20 AM.

PearlDrummer18 Guest

Yeah i use one of those cymbal springs on my china and it has really done the job. Nice suggestion DamageDrummer!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info. That spring thing that damage drummer suggested looks like a great idea. What do they run?

PearlDrummer18 Guest

You can pick one up at the Guitar Center web site for around 12 bucks if i remember correctly. I don't use them for my crash cymbals but for me they are a must for my china cymbals.

User Info Menu

hay pearl thanx for askin the question. i dont have a set yet but Im piecing one together and I know at some point I would have the same question now its been answered so I dont have to ask.

User Info Menu

if theres tearing id replace it immediately, but it can take quite a beating
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments