Thread: Where is the Piano threads?

User Info Menu

Default Where is the Piano threads?

Hey Pianos despite using strings is a percussion instrument as well. Just learned this off of Science Chanel

User Info Menu

Default Re: Where is the Piano threads?

Quote Originally Posted by Beasty101 View Post
    Hey Pianos despite using strings is a percussion instrument as well. Just learned this off of Science Chanel
    That's interesting.
    LP Matador Quinto and Conga w/stands and matching Matador Bongos.

"Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning."

User Info Menu

same would go for marimba, vibes and such

User Info Menu

Yes - always thought that was really cool. You "strike" the keys, which in turn, via the felt hammers,"strike" the metal strings. This makes it a percussion instrument. :Piano: (PIANO Smile) haha.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Beasty, we must have seen the same show, because I had never thought about it before then either. It's interesting what you can learn when you stay away from network television.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I play piano, actually much much longer than I've been playing drums. I would highly recommend every musician know a little about playing piano, it makes music theory so much easier when you can sit down and play scales and chords to hear what they sound like.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

I agree CD. I know just enough about piano to be really lousy, but what I do know serves me well in understanding other instruments.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

i was in band in high school...percussion to be specific. i played snare in marching season, and mallet instruments in concert season.
    my drum instructor made me play a 4 mallet marimba solo my freshman year, somehow i did exceptional on it. I can kinda play the piano haha. i know my scales and some music theory.
    i honestly wouldnt mind learning.

User Info Menu

PB Watching the History and Science Channels is what I do when I work on rudiments. Killing two birds with 1 stone... in gaining knowledge.

User Info Menu

I have a percussion setting on my keyboard!LOL but really learning piano really helped me to open up my understanding of guitar and music in general.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I play piano, drums, bass, congas, and cajon and I feel like all of those instruments have a lot in common. Piano was the first instrument I started learning and I'm not sure how, but I know it helped a lot with the percussion instruments I've learned. I've also played around with the guitar a little and I think the bass seems a lot more like a percussion instrument than it seems like a guitar. I never thought of having a piano thread here, but that would definitely be cool.

User Info Menu

Piano actually helps with your independence alot, makes your fingers all think as different units.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

I would have to say that just because something was said on TV doesn't necessarily mean it's true...Science channel or not.

Piano is a MUSICAL instrument, not strictly percussion. It is also a STRINGED instrument. Is guitar a percussion instrument just because you strike the strings with your hand? Or you can use the guitar body to beat on too...so is it a drum?

Slapping the bass...is THAT percussion?

I'm just sayin'.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Timactionfigures View Post
    I would have to say that just because something was said on TV doesn't necessarily mean it's true...Science channel or not.

Piano is a MUSICAL instrument, not strictly percussion. It is also a STRINGED instrument. Is guitar a percussion instrument just because you strike the strings with your hand? Or you can use the guitar body to beat on too...so is it a drum?

I'm just sayin'.

Piano is often classified as both a percussive and string instrument and always has been. The piano originated from the hammer dulcimer which is played by hand with hammers as opposed to pressing keys that make the hammers strike. A lot of music schools will require their percussion students to also learn piano. I do see what you are getting at though timaction, where do we draw the line, percussion is too broad a term. Anything that can produce a sound by hitting it is considered percussion, and yes technically slapping the bass is percussion.

Definition: A percussion instrument is any object which produces a sound by being hit with an implement, shaken, rubbed, scraped, or by any other action which sets the object into vibration.

User Info Menu

Great News!!!

I found some piano threads!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    LP Matador Quinto and Conga w/stands and matching Matador Bongos.

"Middle age is when you still believe you'll feel better in the morning."

User Info Menu

forums.steinway.com
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    and yes technically slapping the bass is percussion.
    Ditto that.

To further explain, one of the great slap and pop innovators was Larry Graham who was playing in church without a drummer. He used the sounds to imitate what might have been a bass drum and snare had a drumset player been available.

When I have worked on these things with my bass teacher, he has urged me strongly to listen to what the kit is doing. Most people choose to play with the kit, though there are benefits of working against it--creating moments of interest because it's different.

As for the original point of piano being a percussion instrument... it is, but a hybrid. That was already well told by another poster, so consider me in agreement. I think the reason a site like this doesn't have a piano section or many threads is the specialized nature of the instrument. It is rather independent and covered well in already existing places.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Where is the Piano threads?

Quote Originally Posted by Timactionfigures View Post
    ...Piano is a MUSICAL instrument, not strictly percussion. It is also a STRINGED instrument. Is guitar a percussion instrument just because you strike the strings with your hand? Or you can use the guitar body to beat on too...so is it a drum?

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    Piano is often classified as both a percussive and string instrument and always has been. The piano originated from the hammer dulcimer which is played by hand with hammers as opposed to pressing keys that make the hammers strike. A lot of music schools will require their percussion students to also learn piano. I do see what you are getting at though timaction, where do we draw the line, percussion is too broad a term. Anything that can produce a sound by hitting it is considered percussion, and yes technically slapping the bass is percussion.

Definition: A percussion instrument is any object which produces a sound by being hit with an implement, shaken, rubbed, scraped, or by any other action which sets the object into vibration.
    You're both right. Technically it takes percussion to hit the piano keys, but the sound comes from the strings (and I've heard people playing the piano strings like a harp for an ethereal effect)...

And people who slap string bass or electric bass for a funky percussive effect ("Seinfeld") or drum on an acoustic guitar for a conga-like effect use strings as percussion...but for general purposes, "percussion" refers to drums, bells, rattles, guiros, maracas and other items played with the hands as opposed to sticks, as well as timbales, vibes and xylophones, which are played with sticks and/or mallets...

The problem, if there is one, is that "Percussion" is often a catch-all for people who think drums begin and end with sticks!

Quote Originally Posted by BongoCajon View Post
    Great News!!!

I found some piano threads!
    You've been hangin' around me too much, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck