Thread: use an e-kit with real cymbals ?

User Info Menu

Default use an e-kit with real cymbals ?

been thinkin of gettin a e-kit, a higher end one. but ive never cared for the e-cymbals even tho they sound good. what are the drawbacks of gettin e-drums but using real cymbals. mainly used for practice and smaller clubs (maybe). thanks
    acrylic shells:
    kick 26x20
    floor 18x18
    floor 16x18
    tom 15x14
    tom 14x13
    snares:
    ludwig black beauty 14x6.5 w/tube lugs and die cast
    ludwig black magic 13x7 w/tube lugs and die cast rims
    paiste :
    24" giant beat ride
    20" giant beat crash
    19" 2002 crash
    18" 2002 crash
    15" 2002 sound edge hats

iplaysaluda Guest

Default Re: use an e-kit with real cymbals ?

i've never tried that but my guess would be that you would need a good speaker system to get the drums to be able to compete with the cymbals. otherwise i'd say try it on a smaller scale and see how it goes before you start gigging.

in the other way, if you had really loud guitars and vocals, and had to really crank the drums up, you'll need separate cymbal mics. just to make the cymbals audible. It just depends on how loud you want everything.

User Info Menu

That's how Rick Allen, the drummer for Def Leppard does it. He has e-drums and uses regular cymbals with his kit. I have a 300 watt PA for my e-kit and I've been thinking about using my REAL cymbals with my drums also.
    As far as sound goes, you'll never know unless you try it.
    Good Luck,
    Everett

User Info Menu

Not quite what you are asking, but have you looked at Smartrigger Cymbals?

They're not your average 'e' cymbal.
    PROUD TO BE ENDORSED BY DUALLIST PEDALS
    Drums: Phil Collins Pearl DLX | Pink Floyd DW Exotic Bird's Eye | Natal Bubinga Custom Fusion | Cymbals: DIRIL & UFIPeDrums: 2Box DrumIt 5
    BACK BEATING DRUMMING BLOG ||| PINK FLOYD DW KIT ||| PHIL COLLINS PEARL KIT
    www.graham-collins.com/drummer ||| www.pinkfloyddrums.com ||| PHIL COLLINS PEARL KIT

iplaysaluda Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cuban View Post
    Not quite what you are asking, but have you looked at Smartrigger Cymbals?

They're not your average 'e' cymbal.
    he means like just use the electronic drums for the drums and put zildjian or saluda or sabien or wahtever with it. like legit. cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by iplaysaluda View Post
    he means like just use the electronic drums for the drums and put zildjian or saluda or sabien or wahtever with it. like legit. cymbals
    Sure, I understood that, I just thought I'd throw in a third option.
    PROUD TO BE ENDORSED BY DUALLIST PEDALS
    Drums: Phil Collins Pearl DLX | Pink Floyd DW Exotic Bird's Eye | Natal Bubinga Custom Fusion | Cymbals: DIRIL & UFIPeDrums: 2Box DrumIt 5
    BACK BEATING DRUMMING BLOG ||| PINK FLOYD DW KIT ||| PHIL COLLINS PEARL KIT
    www.graham-collins.com/drummer ||| www.pinkfloyddrums.com ||| PHIL COLLINS PEARL KIT

User Info Menu

also I know a guy that can trigger real acoustic cymbals ! If you buy a high end e set it will have nice cymbals with it sooo maybe try them for awhile and see if you get use to them. Let us know what you get !
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

well the kit im lookin at is the roland td-20, not sure it gets much better than that. i like the yamaha but i have some roland products now that i can use with the td-20. i think ill try the roland cymbals and see how i like em. but i do think if i did gig with it i'd prolly use the real cymbals because it would more than likely be loud enough to get over the top of em. ill post if and when i get em.

thanks guys/and or gals.
    acrylic shells:
    kick 26x20
    floor 18x18
    floor 16x18
    tom 15x14
    tom 14x13
    snares:
    ludwig black beauty 14x6.5 w/tube lugs and die cast
    ludwig black magic 13x7 w/tube lugs and die cast rims
    paiste :
    24" giant beat ride
    20" giant beat crash
    19" 2002 crash
    18" 2002 crash
    15" 2002 sound edge hats

User Info Menu

Actually, the top end Rolands have the natural "semi-legit" cymbals, with full response characteristics like the spuns do. Not quite same sound, but real close. Other than that, it depends on your playing environment for "real" cymbals, you may have to mike them, especially the high-hat, but the crashes usually cut through, although the rides usually are weak.

Hope this helps a bit.
    Currently electronics, with some "real" cymbals and a few accesories.

Paradiddle Guest

I think for a live gig real cymbals would be way more trouble than they are worth. If the rest of the kit is playing through the PA then use the TD-20 cymbals. No one in the audience is going to care or notice.

Recording is different and it is well worth the time and effort to mic your real cymbals for your tracks.