Thread: Independance of hands

User Info Menu

Default Independance of hands

Ok so in the 3 years that I've been playing, I've manged to get my hands almost completely independent. As long as my right hand is on the ride or hats that is, I put my left hand there, and suddenly its right back to the basic beats. So I'm working on that problem, and how you ask? By playing left-handed! I just figured I'd put this up here to suggest that everyone does this for a little. I mean imagine how much better you could play if you didn't always have to lead with your right hand. It opens up a ton of possibilities. No need to set up your drums different either, you just play without crossing.

If any of you have any other methods on improving your independence of your hands other then the one I'm using please tell us about it here. We all need to work on this.
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

sounds like a good technique i think im gonna start trying that

but i know what u mean the second u move over to start playing the hats or ride with ur left hand it feels really unnatural and difficult. Im gonna start workin on it more often from now on.
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

haha i got out a lighter rock cd (Starfield) and just finished drumming through the whole thing left handed. Man thats hard, but it's starting to feel a little more natural. The hardest part has to be starting fills with the left hand, I'm so used to starting with my right. But it'll be worth it in the end.

I think since I already am quite good right handed that I'm going to start doing my practice as 2 hours left-handed and 1 right.
    Maybe if I'm lucky this'll help my left hand keep up with my right which is way way faster.
    Last edited by Daemon; 02-10-2007 at 05:44 PM.
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

do rudiments on your hands and then different rudiments on your feet, i guess that counts?