Thread: Learning about drum triggers on acoustic sets....

User Info Menu

Default Learning about drum triggers on acoustic sets....

I'm trying to find out the difference between using drum mics & drum triggers. i went to a show where the drummers drums sounded evenly punchy & the volume of each stroke was the same clear volume no matter how hard or soft he played. When he played the bass drum normally he was hitting it hard, but when he double bassed, he did it very lightly with his heel planted, although the sound & volume produced was just as powerful as when he hit it harder. does using drum triggers make this happen? if so, how?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Learning about drum triggers on acoustic sets....

Classically midi triggers have velocity encoded. Meaning that how hard you hit the trigger will dictate how load and change in sound on the edrum. Now, there are some programs (i.e. drummagog) which do not have much in the way of velocity mapping and therefore will have the same sound no matter how hard or softly you hit the drum. Good ear btw, one reason that I record acoustically is I started to really notice the similar sounds and missed the subtle sound changes based on stick speed and intensity when I recorded with my ekit. Now I use it for accents and in certain parts.