Thread: Need to know best choice?

User Info Menu

Unhappy Need to know best choice?

I'm 16 and have a old 5-piece Percussion Plus drum set. I had it for about 8 years but I moved like a couple of months after I got them and I didn't have enough room so I stored them in my grand parents basement. I just made room for the like 7 years later. Now I have a problem because after a couple months things started to break like the crash cymbal, one head, crash stand, snare stand, hi-hat stand, and the bass pedal. Also I was going to change the heads and cymbals because the stock ones are crap and get double bass. I need to know if I should just replace every thing that's broke or buy a new drum kit.

If you suggest a new one i want to what would be best for my purposes? I have to put it in the living room and need to be able to make it quite for practice because my mom hates how loud it is. I know they make pads that go on top of the drum and cymbals to make it quite but and an electronic drum set can be turn up or down. Whats the best choice?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need to know best choice?

Kogo, if the drums are in decent shape, you should be able to get some good used hardware to replace the stuff that was broken cheaper than what it would take to buy a new kit. On the other hand, if you really want a new kit there are plenty of good used kits available at a good price right now, and many of them are available with hardware. A few are even available with cymbals too.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I'm reading to this and I think I understand your situation pretty well. Sorry to disagree with you PB but I think you should go for a new kit. Although I personally don't own and don't plan on owning and e-kit, it sounds like that would be a good choice for you if you have the resources. Good luck with whatever you decide!

User Info Menu

i agree with both bob and paul.

getting used hardware is possible, and same thing with used cymbals...but with any acoustic kit, theyre not always gonna be quiet. Thats where and electronic kit has its advantages.

IMO i think you might be better off getting an E-kit.
    with headphone, the kit will only be as loud as a practice pad(outside the headphones). that way you dont have to worry about driving your mother insane. lol

User Info Menu

I think it all depends on how much money you have to spend. Personally, I love my e-kit because I can practice all day and all night without bothering anyone, but if you go with an e-kit, make sure to get ones where you can do rimshots, there's multiple hi-hat opening samples rather than just open or closed, there's cymbal choke and velocity sensitivity. -JessiG

User Info Menu

Ekits are great for their functionality, but it's a little different than an acoustic set, not much, maybe it's just me but I feel something is just off. Nothing like playing on an acoustic.

Not to mention the cost of ekits (decent ones - I wouldn't recommend getting a cheap crappy one.)

User Info Menu

might be time to trade up and get a fresh set with everything you want on it. you deserve it!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

If you're serious about your drumming then I would say go for a new kit.

Well, not exactly "new". Look for used kits in the intermediate range and used cymbals in at least the intermediate range, and you can get some amazing quality stuff for not a lot of money. Go to all of the big drum and cymbal companies' website and check out what they have to offer, then go down to a music store and check some gear out in person.
    Matt