Thread: Question on late 80's ludwig.

Project-Green-Destiny Guest

Default Question on late 80's ludwig.

I'm looking for a little info on these drums. The bass drums are stamped '89, they are rockerII drums with modular hardware. When I bought them in 91 they were wrapped in black plastic. About five years ago I removed said wrap which truly opened the drums up. I have found a few sites that say they are of beech and maple construct. I thought they were birch. Does anyone know this for sure. I plan on trueing up the shells and possible bearing edge refinishing. If I just make the shells "true" (seeing as how the worst of them is only off by maybe two millimeters) would I even need to mess with the edges? Plus I don't know if any of you remember Stewart Copeland's mid nineties Tama Starclassic in the emerald green lacquer? But, that is the finish I plan on using, hopefully with "gold" hardware. Should be pretty sweet when all is said and done. Thank you in advance for any help given. I will be out of town for the rest of this week and into the weekend, so I also appologize for lack of answer to any questions between now and then.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Question on late 80's ludwig.

Rocker IIs were 4ply birch/poplar with grey painted interiors.

User Info Menu

Hey Project GD , welcome to DC .

There should be a serial number stamped on the badge of each drum that you can trace back to the year it was made .

Ludwig made drums with different woods , mine are from the late 60's and are painted white on the inside of the shells , Ive read where they used both poplar and birch on their shellss .
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

These do not have any "paint" on the inside. They have a clear finish on the inside. As for their wood make up I suspected birch was in there some where. It seems that their were some rocker series drums that had the grey "substance" sprayed on the inside and others that did not. The addition of the grey spray was to correct sound issues due to poor quality materials used, and to mask those materials. Mine how ever have a "satin" like clear lacquer, maybe one to two coats thic on the inside. Quite beatiful I might add. Unfortunately during my stripping of the wrap and lack of expirience in doing so, I destroyed those badges and they are probably sitting in a landfill somewhere in Missouri. Here are some pics. If any of you here are more knowledgable please feel free to add to, or correct and of my findings.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

That's a monster vintage kit there!! I like it!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Heres a group thats all about vintage drums that you can also post your pics on ,someone there may be more help .

http://www.notsomoderndrummer.com/forum/
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

Thanks bud.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Project-Green-Destiny View Post
    These do not have any "paint" on the inside. They have a clear finish on the inside. As for their wood make up I suspected birch was in there some where. It seems that their were some rocker series drums that had the grey "substance" sprayed on the inside and others that did not. The addition of the grey spray was to correct sound issues due to poor quality materials used, and to mask those materials. Mine how ever have a "satin" like clear lacquer, maybe one to two coats thic on the inside. Quite beatiful I might add. Unfortunately during my stripping of the wrap and lack of expirience in doing so, I destroyed those badges and they are probably sitting in a landfill somewhere in Missouri. Here are some pics. If any of you here are more knowledgable please feel free to add to, or correct and of my findings.
    '84 to '94 rockers were 4ply birch/poplar with clear interiors

'84 to '94 rocker II 4ply birch/poplar with grey speckl interior.

In '96 the rocker switched to mini classic lugs while rocker IIs kept the standard lugs.

Sounds like your set is the rocker line and not rocker II. Hope this helps, sweet kit by the way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    sweet kit by the way.
    I agree with Gretschhead........the black hoops / heads really look great with the natural finish .
    slot # 1

BE COUNTED!

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

Thanks guys. I bought her as a ten peice but subsequently (and quite unfortunately) left one of the toms in missouri. The state which it is in in the photos is not an on purpose "look" though. The black hoops are the original from '89 and the heads, well, they are replacements bought about a week before the photo. Over this winter I plan on trueing the shells, lacquering them, polishing the hardware, possibley replacing the hardware with brass, getting new bass hoops since mine are now warped. Unless anyone knows how to unwarp them. Going to be quite an undertaking, but hey, when they are done they will be the most beautiful thing I will ever beat on!

User Info Menu

Sounds like a good project ahead of you PGD. A side note about the rocker shells, the same shells were used in the high end Super Classics, only difference was hardware and finishes. I think you will have a great kit when you are done!