Thread: Thinking about the future...

User Info Menu

Default Thinking about the future...

I'm still considering where to go to school and everything and it has a lot to do with what I want to do. I'm thinking I'll go to Musician's Institute and get a BA from there, then become a drum teacher. I checked out a site for drum teacher salaries. It said in LA the average salary for a drum teacher was $38,000 and average drum teacher in general was $34,000. I don't really know how that rates...is this enough for one to make a career on or live off of? I'm also thinking maybe some studio drumming if I could find any too.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Thinking about the future...

that all depends on your lifestyle.
    of course, your income will have a part in your lifestyle. it may make you or break you.
    for me, it would be pretty good.
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

I hate to be the breaker of bad news, but the future is looking VERY grim. I know this is a drum forum, but doesn't anyone see what's going on in the world?! It's only going to get worse!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Timactionfigures View Post
    I hate to be the breaker of bad news, but the future is looking VERY grim. I know this is a drum forum, but doesn't anyone see what's going on in the world?! It's only going to get worse!
    Jess . I do agree with Tim saying the economy will get worse but I think with a music career you could make out pretty descently .

It will depend on what you set your goals at . Possibly studio drummer and musiic teacher combined wouldnt be a bad thing .Best of luck .
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Whatever you decide, I would highly recommend NOT taking on a buttload of debt...as in student loans. I'm sure the current swath of recent grads from every profession are finding out there simply are NOT jobs out there to be had.

Best of luck to everyone.
    Last edited by drummer; 09-10-2009 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Please avoid Hot Topics - thx!

User Info Menu

Hey Tim welcome to drumchat ! I just sent you a PM
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jessig View Post
    I'm still considering where to go to school and everything and it has a lot to do with what I want to do. I'm thinking I'll go to Musician's Institute and get a BA from there, then become a drum teacher. I checked out a site for drum teacher salaries. It said in LA the average salary for a drum teacher was $38,000 and average drum teacher in general was $34,000. I don't really know how that rates...is this enough for one to make a career on or live off of? I'm also thinking maybe some studio drumming if I could find any too.
    That does not sound like very much money nowadays even in south georgia.
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

in todays economy 34 grand doesnt seem like that much but that being said im about tu turn 42 and the most I have ever made in a year is about 18 grand so it sounds pretty sweet from here. I think the big thing is if you can make a living wage doing something you love its worth it.

User Info Menu

Jess, it's a tough living and I don't recommend it unless you are certified to teach in the school system. The "no-show" rate for private lessons is high and it would be a grueling schedule to try and make that type of income from teaching alone.

User Info Menu

34 grand is nothing.

User Info Menu

Not necessarily. You can look at a glass of water half empty OR half full. History has shown ebb and flow throughout. Life is what you make it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    34 grand is nothing.
    And most of the population makes considerably LESS than nothing. Scary isn't it?

Frankly in this day and age, if you can manage to land a job paying over 30K consider yourself lucky. It is the new entry level wage for a Bachelor's degree.

User Info Menu

And most of the population makes considerably LESS than nothing. Scary isn't it?

Frankly in this day and age, if you can manage to land a job paying over 30K consider yourself lucky. It is the new entry level wage for a Bachelor's degree.
    I make over 50 a year and Im just a truck driver

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Not necessarily. You can look at a glass of water half empty OR half full. History has shown ebb and flow throughout. Life is what you make it.
    Well then...I'd have to say the Earth's oil tank (read: glass of water) is surely half empty, or more.

Life IS what we made it. Do some research on Peak Oil and get back to me. With the financial system broken, massive unemployment, uncontrollable government spending, dwindling resources...well, I'm leaning toward a "half-empty" glass for humanity. And it's only just beginning.

User Info Menu

Well then...I'd have to say the Earth's oil tank (read: glass of water) is surely half empty, or more.

Life IS what we made it. Do some research on Peak Oil and get back to me. With the financial system broken, massive unemployment, uncontrollable government spending, dwindling resources...well, I'm leaning toward a "half-empty" glass for humanity. And it's only just beginning.
    I think you should change your name to "Little Miss Sunshine"

User Info Menu

life is about the journey
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Jessig, take it from a guy whose been around the block a few times..a salary of that amount is a good starter...everybody thats young always wants to start at the top! regardless of skill or time on job..making the Big dough means dedication and determination..if that is your passion then do it...and let the cycle of life experiences take you to a higher pay level when more opportunitys arise with contacts that you will make...
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    I think you should change your name to "Little Miss Sunshine"
    LOL!!!

User Info Menu

Thanks for all your advice...playing music is really all I want to do. You've gotta be realistic, though, so I think being a studio musician and a teacher fulfills me being able to play all day while still being able to eat. It's what I want to do really, I'm just planning on how much schooling I may need before getting started and what school. I really am considering Musician's Institute because it has more diversified styles. I want to learn all from Afro-Cuban to Rock to Jazz to anything you can think of. Plus, it's still California. I'm just not sure if I could get a job with a BA from there. -JessiG

User Info Menu

I just talked to a new instructor today he charges $30 a 30 minute lesson 4 lessons at a time payed in advance. he has a policy that if you give him at least a 24 hour notice you can make up a lesson if you schedules match. seems like a way to avoid the students not showing up if your doing teaching full time(which he is) you might have to bite the bullet and take non paying no shows for a few years until you get your reputation up but I think with the proper headspace and good planning that it could be a great career path for you.